Picking up a New FHN Firearm..... Which one?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Castleton, Indianapolis
    It's kinda crazy, but I'm in the market for increasing my gun collection. I have decided I want something from FNH, but I have no idea what. Currently I have a Glock 27 and a Ruger LCP. Being relatively new to firearms, I don't know what would serve me best. Here's what I've been looking at:

Five-seveN USG- Can't quite put a finger on whether or not I like this gun. Also, I don't know if all the Fort Hood stuff will prevent me from owning this firearm. Mixed on whether or not I really need it, or just like it because it's different.

FS90- see above. Like how it looks, but unsure of how practical it is. Do I really need this as a third firearm? No. Is it cool? Yes.

FNP-45 USG- Most practical gun from the list. I have been wanting a .45 for most of my life, and being left handed the duel operations are nice. But would I be looking at this firearm thinking "hmm.... if it was a Five-seveN or FS90" and be buying something else in six months.

So I'm asking if any of these are a great choice, or maybe this company makes something else amazing I just don't know of. Maybe they make an amazing shotgun that I've never heard of. Being as my current collection is just a couple of small handguns, I'd not be too upset with anything I picked up. Thanks

Last edited:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I would get the FNP-45 DA/SA USG

FNM0123mb.png

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think that if you have the grand to drop on the Five-seveN, then I think you should. If only for the reason that you might NOT be able to get them later on....with all the mass murdering bullets they spew, you know.

Ammo cost is close enough to the cost of .45 to make that a wash, too. Reloading would make .45ACP cheaper. Of course, these days, it can be difficult to find .45ACP, let alone 5.7x28.

They are NEAT pistols, though. Weren't very comfortable to my hands, and the sights on the one I fired were hard for me to see. But recoil is minimal even for such a light pistol.

Get one with 3 magazines...load 'em all up to capacity, put a weapon light on it, and you have a formidable home defense weapon. With, I might add, less of a chance of overpenetration due to the very lightweight projectiles.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Castleton, Indianapolis
    I don't have big hands, but the USG seemed manageable when I played with it at a store. And there's only like a $300 difference between the two firearms, which would be worth spending for something better. Actually, I never even cared about the Five-seveN until I found out they might ban it (again).

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Oh yes.. The FS2000

I held one at Ace & Rico this weekend here in Lafayette and was surprised at how comfortable and lightweight it was. Being a bullpup design, this rifle is considerably shorter then any 16 inch barrel AR15.

Now if I just had the $2000 to drop on one...

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If you can afford them, get the PS-90 and the Five-seveN. Both are really fun to shoot, and unfortunately hard to put down, so get lotsa ammo. As stated above, 5.7x28 used to be expensive, but with all other ammo going up, it is not right in the middle of the cost of others.

It can be found at many online sites, usually under $20 for a box of 50, and every now and then on sale for around $700 a case of 2000.

The USG should come with 3 twenty round mags.

One plus for FNH, they have gone out of the way to make ATF approved firearms for those of us who don't wear uniforms. There are many companies that thumbed their noses at those of us who's rights to keep and bear arms have been infringed upon.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Castleton, Indianapolis
    Currently I can probably get one gun (wife not exactly enthusiastic about my new habit). For ammo prices, I paid over $20 ($22 to be exact) for .380, so I guess ammo isn't ridiculous. I'm interested enough in the company to want one of their guns. So the impression I'm getting is you really can't go wrong with any of the three I'm looking at, or even their FS200

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I have a 5-7. I am very satisfied with it but rarely shoot it. It has essentially no recoil and I can hit my target at 50 yards (I can't do that with my G19 which I carry). It's a big gun too and looks cheap, ie. it looks and feels like a toy but it obviously isn't. I am happy with mine and probably will never sell it but I am also not using it much, so take that as you think. If you're in the Lafayette area and want to try it out, gimme a pm, it's been a while since I shot it.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Oh yes.. The FS2000

I held one at Ace & Rico this weekend here in Lafayette and was surprised at how comfortable and lightweight it was. Being a bullpup design, this rifle is considerably shorter then any 16 inch barrel AR15.

Now if I just had the $2000 to drop on one...

Totally worth it IMHO.

If you are looking at a PS90, check out an FS200 back to back. I like the FS2000 over the PS90 becase 1, the cheek weld is more natural and the FS2000 is generally more comfortable. On the PS90 it's more like a chin weld. And 2, it's 5.56mm, which is cheaper and more readily available than 5.7.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Castleton, Indianapolis
    Originally I was just going to go with the FNP-45 USG. But after all that Fort Hood buzz I may have to try and get the Five-seveN. And I don't think the FS2000 isn't in any hurry to me, being as it's seemingly not going away any time soon. P90 seems fun, but I'm worried about how my wife will view that thing. I'll see how thanksgiving works out. If everything goes alright, I'll probably get the armor piercing deathweapon. jk:ar15:

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I'm buying the FNP45. 15 + 1 rounds and 2 14 round mags. Sweet. They also sell extra 15 round mags for a Grant but defiantly worth it.

Top Bottom