• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I bought a LW Commander this week. I have not owned one of these for at least 20 years. Was unaware that they even made them in .38 Super. Have never shot that cartridge, either. Does anyone have any experience with this around? What should i expect in the way of accuracy?
    If I like it, it'll mean getting dies, brass and bullets for it...Got too many different ones already. Would it be worth it? This gun is from 1950 or 51 and has been decently refinished.
    Any info would be appreciated. I do like to pick different things and try them. I have always liked "different". ......John

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have several guns in .38 Super, including a LW Commander, or two! I love the round. If you reload you can tailor a load for your gun and get amazing performance out of it. The Super had some bad rap years ago but a helluva a lot of competition shooters still use it successfully. On second thought.... it sucks, you better give that old Colt to me! :yesway:

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    The 38 Super is a great round. I actually carried it as a LEO in the mid to late seventies, especially when off duty. Most were carrying revolvers at the time. I actually still carried a six inch Model 19, but liked the ballistics and the extra rounds of the Super.
    Mine is a Colt Commander but not the LW. It shoots to the point of Aim and shoots well. The ballistics of this round are impressive. Given the powders, bullets weights and configurations it can really be worked up.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    1968 LWC super 38.....i really like mine......btw....LET'S SEE IT!!!!....as said above with the right loads they get close to 357mag speeds...

mli0t0.jpg

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    Thanks, guys. I might have paid a little too much for this thing, but there is no registration nor taxes on the $600 paid. I prefer my guns that way!! "for some reason, I just can't get myself to trust my government'. I just fell back in love with the way one of this model feels in my hand. Been a long time. The slide/frame fit feels really good and tight so it has not been fired much. Came with a set of Pachmayer grippers with the gold Colt medallions. Also a box of Magtech 130 gr. +P FMJ.
    I am glad to hear about you guy's experience with this round. Gonna shoot it today, just a little. Come to think of it, maybe I shouldn't. This gun having an aluminum frame, it probably should not be fired with +P ammo. That is just what came with it.
    I would post pics but have not figured out how. If it requires Photobucket or the like, I won't put pics of any of my guns on there. Way too easily accessed by the general public and whoever else want to snoop. Can we post pics from our own picture files? Thanks, guys.....John

WOLFEMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    LAFAYETTE
    I owned one a few years ago and purchased a drop-in
    9mm barrel for it. Wound up shooting more 9 than 38 Super.
    My only concern was how the 38S mags would work but
    it was never an issue.
    Congrats on your purchase:yesway:

:ingo::patriot:

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    $600 is a good price, the only draw back being the refinishing, that will take away a little on the resale. But its yours.
    While its perfectly capable of handling +p loads I wouldnt shoot them in excess use them for carry only. I would replace the springs, cheap easy maintenance.

Top Bottom