• ...and so much more!
  • RedCell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    Hey all!

I'm relatively new here but I wanted to share my latest (multiple) weekend project with you.

I bought a Kel-Tec PF9 a few weeks ago and got it out to the range, put one hundred or so rounds into it and am pretty comfortable with it so I decided to carry it daily. I started looking for IWB holsters to wear that are completely concealable in the $30 to $40 range and are comfortable to wear. I looked at a few name brands and saw that they were all a little over my price range and that they all looked a little on the "motard" side to me. I needed something that would not have the form fitting lines that could print inside a shirt. Hence my "weekend" project.

IMG_20110830_001132.jpg

I got it done with a little bit of Kydex that I had left over from another project, a leather scrap from Hobby Lobby, and some Chicago style post screws from Ace. I am thinking about starting to make some of these over weekends and putting them together to sell online somewhere and wanted to test the waters and see if anybody else would be interested... Not as a solicitation, just out of curiosity and to see if there is even a demand for something like this.

More pics:

IMG_20110831_082604.jpg

IMG_20110831_082454.jpg

Right now, all I have available to me is the Kel-Tec and a Ruger GP100 4" so my options for making these things are... pretty limited. Let me know what you think (and if you can see any room for improvement!).

RedCell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    Looks great! I've been thinking about getting into some kydex stuff as well.

It's pretty easy. The one I made before was from a kit from Old Faithful Holsters since not too many people make anything for a big ol' Ruger. His instruction is a little different from what I tried this time though.

This one took a few hours of thinking it out, about 90 minutes of work, and a week of fine tuning. I'd wear it to work, bring it home, then adjust what didn't work well for me.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Hey man, welcome to ingo! I am from Granger too, but I am down in B-town for school.
    That holster doesn't look too bad. There is another member on here (BlueEagle) who made a similar holster for me for my P11. It works pretty good, I just need to get someplace where I can heat up the kydex and adjust the tension a little. I like a little more tension on mine (plus I cut the leather similar to yours to facilitate a proper grip during the draw). I don't know how much business you would get given that you only have the ability to use two guns, however, you could probably make a little on Ebay with something like that.
    Good job, and good luck.

RedCell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    Well, the end goal is to beg and borrow other models. Once I get the first one done, I can make a mold and use that for concurrent holsters. Plus, if I get in contact with a local dealer (Granger Guns) and borrow their used guns (if legal...) in turn for resale rights, I can quickly build a bigger selection of holsters without the front end cost of purchasing the guns. Although this project would be set in place to purchase more of said guns.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I don't know if they will let you borrow them. He is a great guy, but I don't think that is legal. You could also try to talk to the guys over at midwest and see if they would let you use some space in their shop to make the holsters and sell them there.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Looks great to me! I've been playing around with kydex for me esee's. Actually, honestly, I've been using old grinding shields from work until I get my process/design perfected, then I'll order kydex.

Top Bottom