• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SlugRetention

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 28, 2012
    Wells Co.
    Sorry if somebody else already asked this, I didnt see it...
    What is everybody's take on your pets when SHTF? I have 2 German Shepherds and they are great guard dogs, dont wanna leave em?? ;)

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i've given some thought to this, but no action. my malamute is ADD and nervous as hell, she'd be useless unless her genetic memory takes over.

that said she'd likely eat the parts of the squirrel that i wouldn't. :dunno:

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Better off with doggie stir fry........................................can't really say that, I'd rather feed some people I know to my dog than feed my dog to them.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Take em if you want. Keep from places/areas where silence is important. Train them well and early. Just keep an emotional distance. Don't risk people's lives to save the dog, be willing to lose them.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    My cat (rescue) is a great mouser and will kill any small pest around so she would be great to take with. But in a bug out on foot, I don't think I could manage it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Totally depends on the event.

If on 12/21 the Sasquatch march out of the woods wearing blue helmets to welcome our new alien overlords, then the cat will be on her own.

Bad winter storm? I'll gladly trade some kibble for a purring foot warmer.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My mutt has provisions set aside for him. He scares the hell out of people when he gets the chance. Doubt he would be much on follow through, but since he hears better than anyone in the place he is good to go.

Besides being something that helps the family cope in a bad situation, he would make a hell of a bullet magnet.

The cats are down the line a bit more. Still good for morale, catch bugs and mice sometimes, not much for keeping the baddies away though.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Been thinking about it also

Have a few things set

They like us water is a biggy

Think ISD is going to have a class on this

SlugRetention

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 28, 2012
    Wells Co.
    I can see where having dogs has its pros and cons...For me, I can see how they make great guard dogs (Cause that is what they are), But when SHTF, finding food for them might be a problem. Thinking that I better start stocking up some food for them too.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    My dogs are part and parcel of both my family and my preps.

Take them into consideration when it comes to making plans and setting up supplies and train them well.

I will not be eating my dogs. The neighbor's cats, now.....

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I feed the neighborhood stray cats, my son always teases me that we will have plenty to eat if the Zombie Apocalypse happens. I hear they are tasty. :D

Of course I like the cats better than some of the neighbors. Perhaps we will eat them first. :laugh:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I feed the neighborhood stray cats, my son always teases me that we will have plenty to eat if the Zombie Apocalypse happens. I hear they are tasty. :D

Stray cats= free range tacos. ;)

SHTF last food around list= neighbors pets-neighbors-my pets.:)

RedCell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Mishawaka, IN
    The mid grade dog food like Iams is only $35 for about 35 lbs and it feeds my 75# lab/pit mix for a month. Plus, in a pinch, that stuff is edible for humans too. (I've eaten worse...) Granted, if we start working him, he will start eating more, but for bug-in, I would never want to be without him.

For bug out, I would definitely take him as well. He minds me very well. The wife and I rescued him when he was a year and a half and I finally broke him (like a horse, you know?) and got him to start taking some training. He is extremely fast, catches birds out of mid air, and can partially climb trees. That and he's an awesome, tiny target (smaller than me anyhow). I think somebody here dropped the "bullet magnet" line already.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    At my age, my poor physical condition but with my combat under fire experience and markmanship, I will only be good at keeping the back door shut for as long as I can. My cats stay with me. We die together.

I hope each of you has someone to watch your back and to keep the back door shut long enough for you to get away. God Bless those loved ones we must leave behind.

Top Bottom