• ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Sgined it, passed the link on.

Im not much on petitions especially when online and wanting my address and email. But because of the gravity of the decision I had to sign

I agree, but they do that so they can verify signatures if needed. I even allowed the public use of my name on the petition for this, which I won't normally do.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Guys, there will be a protest outside of the state house next Wednesday May 25th, I do not know the time yet..

If you guys want to attend, the more the merrier.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I would rather see a law made that would make LEO's criminally and civilly liable for conducting an illegal entry, search, and/or siezure.

Like, if they do it, they forfeit their pension. Maybe a three stikes your out kind of thing... 1/3 of your pension for each strike.

Seriously. Strict liability. They are trained; they know what consitutes an illegal entry, search, and siezure. But they don't care, they'll just see if it'll stick in court, and there is no recourse if it doesn't.

We the People did not bestow these kind of police powers. They shouldn't be able to hide behind the courts and the unions in their complicity in the assault of our liberties.

"Modern Jurisprudence" is just a euphamism for "We know it's unconsitutional but we're going to change all that."

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Guys, there will be a protest outside of the state house next Wednesday May 25th, I do not know the time yet..

If you guys want to attend, the more the merrier.

Rambone originally posted this in another thread, and now I see from the FB page that they have extended the hours until 1800.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011
    12:00pm - 3:00pm

Indiana Statehouse
    200 W Washington St.
    Indianapolis, IN

Quote:
    Last week, Indiana's Supreme Court ruled 3-2 that citizens DO NOT have the right to resist illegal entry into their homes by officers of the law. The consequence of this ruling is that if a policeman enters your home without consent and for any reason or no reason and you try to physically impede him, he may arrest you and that arrest IS valid and you may be punished by law, regardless of whether or not the officer is found to be out of line after the fact. This blatant violation of our basic and constitutional civil rights should NOT be tolerated, and we are protesting to let them know that we will not stand for the invasion of privacy under the guise of public protection.

We must make our voices heard and tell our leaders that this is unacceptable; if your civil rights are of interest to you, click "attending" and invite your friends.

News report: NewsRoomAmerica.com - Indiana High Court Says No Right to Resist Illegal Police Entry

More info: Unbelievable: Indiana Court Overturns Right to Resist Illegal Entry | AlterNet

UPDATE: This is just the latest in a series of troubling legislations and decisions handed down in our state; there was a unanimous decision last week that police serving a warrant DO NOT have to knock before entering your home if they feel that the situation warrants it, whereas historical precedent has always required a judge's permission to do so.

No-Knock rulings: http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20110512/NEWS0

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    thank you all for signing, i like you dont usually sign petitions online, and when i checked my email after and saw i had 3 messages from unusual emails i immediately thought ****, but then it turned out to be automated responses from representatives. I took the chance when i signed up, that i could stand the chance of some spam mail even if there was a 10% chance it was legit, which i firmly believe now that it is.

caserace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Ha, polticians dont care what the people want, a petition never works! I still cant belive they can totally disregard the constitution. Luckily the supreme court said the 2nd cant be touched!

Ter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Pekin / Washington Co.
    Thanks for the link. I signed it yesterday and received the automated responses.
    Today I received the following.

Dear Terry:

The decision of the Indiana Supreme Court should cause every citizen to be extremely concerned. As you correctly pointed out, the decision is a direct invasion of our homes as well as an attack on our Fourth Amendment rights to be free from unlawful searches. The Court could have reached the decision that the police were acting correctly when they entered this particular home, because (a) the police had been called to a domestic dispute (a crime in process) which could be a felony if it involved bodily injury, and (b) that there were exigent circumstances (that an emergency existed because there was an immediate danger to the individual who was inside the residence). The Court clearly went far beyond the recognized exceptions to the Constitutional requirements of a warrant and the rights of the people to free from unlawful searches. I do not believe that this decision will stand on appeal to the United States Supreme Court, and I believe that the State of Indiana through its Attorney General will appeal this decision immediately. In addition, the three judges who voted in favor of this opinion--Justices David, Shepard and Sullivan--will have their names on the ballot in upcoming elections where the voters can decide whether to retain them (keep them in office) or not to retain them. I believe that Justice David, the writer of this opinion, may be on the ballot in 2012.

As a citizen and legislator, I strongly disagree with the decision of the Court, and I believe that the legislature will take action in the next session to protect its citizens. This decision will not lessen violence--it will foster greater resistance by law abiding persons who only wish to be free from such invasions, and may result in police officers being severely injured and/or killed if they implement the Court's decision without regard to the Bill of Rights.

Sincerely,

Senator Jim Smith

forklfteddie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    if we don't stand up for this and get it turned around who knows what is next. i signed and will attend if some one lets me know the exact time or is the above the right times?

Top Bottom