• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I really enjoyed teaching the Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law course at Cabela's in Hammond on Saturday! As those in attendance will recall, we had some informal discussion regarding the NRA Personal Protection courses that I am also certified to teach.

Would there be any interest in NWI for the Personal Protection courses - Personal Protection in the Home and Personal Protection Outside the Home? PPIH is a prerequisite of PPOH, but if we get at least six people interested, I could schedule both classes consecutively over three days.

Thanks - let me know.

Guy

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yes! Would these be classroom setting only or range-time as well? Have more info on what the classes entail? One of the biggest issues we have in NWI is the lack of "training venues/classes".

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Yes! Would these be classroom setting only or range-time as well? Have more info on what the classes entail? One of the biggest issues we have in NWI is the lack of "training venues/classes".
    There is a lot of range time involved in both classes - particularly in Personal Protection Outside the Home. (Students are asked to bring at least 250 rounds of ammo to PPOH.)

PPOH is 14 hours long (2 days). PPIH is 8 hours long and requires 100 rounds of ammo. PPIH is also a prerequisite of PPOH.

The key to finding a shooting facility is finding somewhere that will let shooters draw from holsters. We draw from concealment a lot in PPOH.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Here is NRA's course description for PPOH:

Name : NRA Basics of Personal Protection Outside The Home Course

Short Description : Comprehensive and intensive in its approach to equip the defensive shooting candidate with the skills needed to survive serious adversity.

More Details: The course teaches students the knowledge, skills and attitude essential for avoiding dangerous confrontations and for the safe, effective and responsible use of a concealed pistol for self-defense outside the home. Students have the opportunity to attend this course using a quality strong side hip holster that covers the trigger, or a holster purse. From a review of safe firearms handling and proper mindset to presentation from concealment and multiple shooting positions, this course contains the essential skills and techniques needed to prevail in a life-threatening situation.

The NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home is divided into two levels (basic and advanced). Level one is a nine-hour course and offers the essential knowledge and skills that must be mastered in order to carry, store, and use a firearm safely and effectively for personal protection outside the home. Upon completion of level one, students may choose to attend level two, which is an additional five hours of range training and teaches advanced shooting skills. After the classroom portion, students should expect to spend several hours on the range and shoot approximately 100 rounds of ammunition during level one. Level two involves five additional hours on the range and approximately 115 rounds of ammunition. The ammunition requirements are minimum and may be exceeded. Students will receive the NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection Outside The Home handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure and the appropriate course completion certificates(s), NRA Basic Personal Protection Outside The Home (identifies strong-side hip holster or purse use) certificate, and NRA Advanced Personal Protection Outside The Home certificate.(Lesson Plan 2006, revised 4-09)

The NRA Basics of Personal Protection Outside The Home participants in this course must be at least 21 years of age and possess defensive pistol skills presented in the NRA Basics of Personal Protection In The Home Course. Participants must also understand the basic legal concepts relating to the use of firearms in self-defense, and must know and observe not only general gun safety rules, but also those safety principles that are specific to defensive situations. Prospective participants can demonstrate that they have the requisite knowledge, skills, and attitudes by producing an NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home Course Certificate, or by passing the pre-course evaluation.

Note: The Lesson III of the Personal Protection In and Outside The Home courses Firearms and the Law, and Legal Aspects of Self-Defense is conducted by an attorney licensed to practice law within the state in which this course is given and who is familiar with this area of the law, a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) who possesses an intermediate or higher Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certificate granted within the state, or an individual currently certified to instruct in this area of the law by the state in which this course is presented.

NRA Certified Instructors may conduct this lesson only if they meet the requirements stated above and then only in their capacity as an attorney, or other state certified individual not in their capacity as an NRA Certified Instructor.
    -------------------------------

And for PPIH:

Name : NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home Course

Short Description : Teaches the basic knowledge, skills, and attitude essential to the safe and efficient use of a handgun for protection of self and family, and to provide information on the law-abiding individual’s right to self-defense.

More Details: This is an eight-hour course. Students should expect to shoot approximately 100 rounds of ammunition. Students will learn basic defensive shooting skills, strategies for home safety and responding to a violent confrontation, firearms and the law, how to choose a handgun for self-defense, and continued opportunities for skill development. Students will receive the NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection In The Home handbook, NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure, the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification booklet, and course completion certificate.(Lesson Plan, revised 05/09)

The NRA Basic Personal Protection In The Home Course participants must be law abiding, adults (at least 21 years old), and experienced shooters (shooters able to show mastery of the basic skills of safe gun handling, shooting a group, zeroing the firearm, and cleaning the firearm) to maximize what can be learned from this course. Proof of shooting experience can be one of the following: NRA Basic Pistol Course Certificate, NRA FIRST Steps Course Certificate, NRA pistol competitive shooting qualification card, military DD 214 with pistol qualification, or passing the Pre-Course Assessment.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm not sure if Deb's Gun Range (Hammond, IN) allows drawing from holster to shoot.
    There are two places that may:

1) North Porter County Conservation Club in Chesterton, Indiana which has it's own range for MEMBERS only.
    Here is a pic of the range: Google Earth satellite view of the club

2) Izzak Walton Leauge of America: Griffith Chapter Griffith Chapter (Griffith Chapter) which has a small 2 lane handguns range and a big shotgun skeet shooting range for MEMBERS only.

These are the 2 I cn think of and would venture to say that (1) has some active members on these boards and they are an active group and probably have the "room" you are looking for in terms of this training.

Who those members are I have NO IDEA however as they use their facilities primarly for competittion shooting.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I could offer an INGO discount - both courses (three full days) for $450. Normally it would be $200 for PPIH and $400 for PPOH. As indicated in the course descriptions - this is pretty intense training - putting approximately 350 rounds down range under a variety of circumstances, including drawing from concealment, moving to cover, shooting from cover, "point shooting" (including executing the "hip rock"), shooting in low light situations, etc.

drd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Westfield
    I could offer an INGO discount - both courses (three full days) for $450. Normally it would be $200 for PPIH and $400 for PPOH. As indicated in the course descriptions - this is pretty intense training - putting approximately 350 rounds down range under a variety of circumstances, including drawing from concealment, moving to cover, shooting from cover, "point shooting" (including executing the "hip rock"), shooting in low light situations, etc.

Nice discount for INGO members, thanks. I am interested. I'd drive to NW for the course from Westfield. I might have a hard time putting 3 days together where I would be free but willing to try.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    We would supply our own ammo and gun correct?
    Would be be early 2010? With the holidays upon us I'm not sure I have 3 days in a row to spare. Plus it gives me some time to save up for the classes.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Nice discount for INGO members, thanks. I am interested. I'd drive to NW for the course from Westfield. I might have a hard time putting 3 days together where I would be free but willing to try.
    No need to drive up from Westfield. I will also be scheduling both classes at Eagle Creek Pistol Range in Indy. I can only rent ECPR for two days at a time (weekends), so we'll be splitting the classes up when we put them on down here.

Thanks for the interest!

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    We would supply our own ammo and gun correct?
    Would be be early 2010? With the holidays upon us I'm not sure I have 3 days in a row to spare. Plus it gives me some time to save up for the classes.
    Yes, students should bring their own carry gun, holster, mag holders and ammo - as well as "eyes and ears."

And by the way, the course is great for women - the PPOH course is specifically designed to be taken with a concealed carry purse or a holster.

I think first thing in 2010 would be perfect. Although for folks in Indy, I'm going to try and schedule both classes in late December. The weekends of Dec. 12 and 19 look pretty good.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Blyth in valpo might be another place that you could do it.

Do they allow drawing from holster at Blyth's? Never been to their range.
    Not sure what the training entails in terms of having to "move towads" the target orif everthing is done behind the "range line".

i would prefer not to do it at NPCCC.
    y? u a member? ever been therr before? I have not, nor am I a member. Never hear anything good/bad about them other then they do competition shooting a lot.

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    I am not a member. in the picture you posted there is a house, it used to be my grandmothers. i know then to be bad neighbors.

i do not know what Blyths would alow or not for a class.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Now you have me even more curious emclean based on your last statement!

The other option for up here would be holding the class on private properly somewhere?
    I would image it somewhere in southern LAKE/PORTER county. :dunno:
    Anyone have enough land we could "rent" for this?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    what a great deal to have it at a place like Cabelas, wish they could do that farther southwest
    :dunno::dunno::dunno:
    This type of training cannot be held at Cabela's becuase there is live-round exercises involved. So we need a range or an outdoorfield of which Cabela's does not have.

Cabeal's does have the capital and land in Hammond to add a range to their location but I thought that were ver to happn. :cool:

Top Bottom