person closes off his private road, motorists upset.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    There's a fellow I know that owns some river bottom land, some of it tillable - a good bit of it is fairly remote from the tillable portion - very little reason to go looking on it.

Anyway, one day he discovers he's got a squatter who has built a little cabin on the remote portion of his property. Squatter and his squatter friends like to fish on the river and the hunt the owners adjoining property it seems.

He tells him to get lost and move their stuff before he drops a match on it all.

Before long the sheriff shows up and shortly thereafter the attorney letters start showing up. It seems his squatter friends are well connected.

Next thing you know, the squatter shack is "legal" as he "proved" he'd been there long enough.

Wouldn't be a bit surprised to find out this deal ends up the same way.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Seems like there's some dispute over just who owns that property according to the comments.

And I have a hard time believing Duke thought they could just take ownership simply by paying the property taxes. That one sounds fishy.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    There's a fellow I know that owns some river bottom land, some of it tillable - a good bit of it is fairly remote from the tillable portion - very little reason to go looking on it.

Anyway, one day he discovers he's got a squatter who has built a little cabin on the remote portion of his property. Squatter and his squatter friends like to fish on the river and the hunt the owners adjoining property it seems.

He tells him to get lost and move their stuff before he drops a match on it all.

Before long the sheriff shows up and shortly thereafter the attorney letters start showing up. It seems his squatter friends are well connected.

Next thing you know, the squatter shack is "legal" as he "proved" he'd been there long enough.

You have GOT to be kidding me.:xmad:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think fireball could be right. If he allowed this for too long, he could be stuck. Something about adverse possessions....

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Adverse possession, but the squatters usually have to show the owner knew about it and didn't do anything to stop it as well.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    "How could one not know, don't you know what is happening on your own property...?"

Not an exact quote, but damn close.

Here is the shortcut and its location, the point of strong contention - I'm sure, is the area I've marked in red - as that is paved and has entrance/exit into Tom Wood's location.

The yellow markings show how far the grass/dirt lane goes on back to 465.

Shortcut1.jpg

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The article says that Tom Wood Audi Porsche uses it, too, so I'm guessing it's this one, and that westbound traffic cuts through here to get to the business park there to bypass the traffic turning left onto Keystone. I'm wondering if the guy owns the wooded area to the south, because this stupid little spit of a driveway is a stupid thing to get bent out of shape over.

9hmmur.png

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It is his right, his access road to his land. If it were me, I would make it a toll road and get paid. Of course I would NOT charge INGO members. Well maybe a select few =) Glad to see him stand up for his rights.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I just wonder why he has an issue with it all of a sudden. It seems like it's been going on for quite some time, did somebody make him mad? But, it's his property and he can do with it as he wishes. As for the people complaining: get over it. The world is filled with people who think their convenience trumps everyone else. If people decide that cutting through your backyard is more convenient would you let them? It's his property. Even if he's doing it just to be a jerk it's his choice to do that.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I just wonder why he has an issue with it all of a sudden. It seems like it's been going on for quite some time, did somebody make him mad? But, it's his property and he can do with it as he wishes. As for the people complaining: get over it. The world is filled with people who think their convenience trumps everyone else. If people decide that cutting through your backyard is more convenient would you let them? It's his property. Even if he's doing it just to be a jerk it's his choice to do that.

Maybe I'm looking at the picture wrong, but it certainly doesn't look like his back yard; I don't even see any houses.:dunno:

It's without a doubt his choice to do this, but he definitely seems like a miserable old man that wants some company.

Top Bottom