• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Im not much on the benchrest shooting game, but thats impressive. Ive always figured competition BR shooting was more competitive reloading, but that group takes it to the next level.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Jaw dropping, truly awesome (I don't use that word often). The culmination of a lot of work and experimentation, no doubt. It is hard for me to wrap my head around.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So was that group shot from standing offhand, kneeling, sitting or prone?

Benchrest really isn't my normal interest, but I have to admit, the man really has his equipment put together right. Berger did a great job building those bullets, they need to post his testimony in their ads.

I wonder how many times in his life he has shot to get a day when the winds were not whipping around the bullets at 600 yards. I hope he is awarded a confirmed record.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    Wish I understood the rules because a "17lb light gun" sounds a bit off ;)

Edit: found the rules

Long range shooting:
    The Guns
    There are currently two classes of rifles used in IBS competition, Light Gun and Heavy Gun. While you shouldn't build either one without checking the rule book, the rules are relatively straightforward.

Essentially, the Light Gun must weigh under 17 pounds, and be under .40 caliber. A front pedestal like conventional benchrest is allowed, and the rear bag must conform to conventional benchrest rules. The rules for the rifles themselves are wide open. Muzzle breaks, stocks wider than 3 inches, guide rails on the stocks, and barrels of any taper are all allowed. The weight limit and the sandbags level the playing field, and everybody has to answer several questions, including "Are you better off with a large caliber and its wind-bucking capability, or a smaller one where you can shoot free recoil?" Or "How do you control barrel vibrations with the longer barrels, simply tune the load, or would a different barrel contour offer help"? The answers are NOT obvious.

There is currently no weight limit in Heavy Gun, though this is being considered. If implemented, a weight limit would likely be in the 80 to 120 pound range. Heavy Guns too must be under .40 caliber. Mechanical rear rests are allowed, but the front and rear rest cannot interact or be joined. There must be at least one-half inch of sand in the bags between the rifle and the pedestals. While muzzle breaks are not allowed, almost anything else goes.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom