Pediatrician asked about firearms in the home.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    We have 2 kids, and I'm not sure if we were ever asked that question.

I kind of feel left out now. Both of our pediatricians are really great down to earth common sense guys and I like them a lot even though one of them is a Cards fan.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I took my seven yr old to the Dr yesterday, all kinds of questions about bike helmets, how much milk she drinks, ect... nothing at all about guns. I was expecting it after seeing threads like this in the past, and now I almost feel left out.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    We have been with our current family doc (who also sees people from age 1 day and up) since the mid 90's or so, when I say we I mean a lot of people. He has never once asked about guns..... We all know him well enough that if he did ask I would tell them that they are all WAY WAY out of reach and I know he would leave it at that..... but I honestly doubt he would ever even ask.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Callie's Doctor has asked as well. I replied with "I am willing to answer any questions you need about my family's medical history!" The nurse started saying something about it being protocol...I interrupted and said that if it's that important for you to ask, I can pay another doctor to take my child to. That part of the conversation ended and we went back to the "normal" questions.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    West of Louisville
    There might be a few parents who never thought about firearms in their home or never prepared for the homecoming of a new child. The questions are asked to help protect a child from an accident. It's just a reminder to help parents especially new ones and ensure the wellbeing of the child. It has nothing to do with gun control.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Hmmm... Never been asked myself, but my youngest is 13 so it's been years since the baby days, plus 2 of the 3 were born in a Navy hospital. Anyway, I can see both sides of the situation, mean yes guns can kill, but so can just about anything else in the house. I havent had this issue with a doctor, well other than my doctor, but this guy is a gun fanatic also so we get along REEEEEEEEL NIIIIIIIIICE... But from what I have heard this is more and more a common thing. The issue is not just about keeping the child safe or educating a new parent, because I have never heard anyone say they were asked if they had a framing nailer, or a table saw in there home. How about a set of tin snips or a drawer full of kitchen knives, or how about the machete in the garage? Nope never heard that before. I think that if the questions were only for the safety of the new parent or child, then maybe instead of a question, it should be a educational campaign. Lets list all the stuff around the house that can kill a young child, Bleach, knives, electrical outlet, chainsaw, gun, lamp, bucket of water, etc. etc... and let the new parents know these are things they need to address with a new child. I myself was taught about electrical outlets, and water, or guns and knives, or table saws. That is why I still have all my fingers, never had a ND, and have only been shocked ONCE, and that was a doozy... But that is for another thread. So the issue is education and not information gathering... Sounds better to me.

INGunGuy

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    There might be a few parents who never thought about firearms in their home or never prepared for the homecoming of a new child. The questions are asked to help protect a child from an accident. It's just a reminder to help parents especially new ones and ensure the wellbeing of the child. It has nothing to do with gun control.

Good point! Next time I take a firearms class, I'll be sure to hit the instructor up for some good tips on child rearing, and ask his medical advice about my child :rolleyes:

Given the background and openly stated agendas of the organizations that have managed to insert those questions into a medical arena, it would take a serious lack of the ability to recognize reality to truly believe they are not about gun control. If it were REALLY about safety, I'm amazed at the lack of questions about swimming pools, bathtubs, stairs, electrical outlets... and whether or not I've researched how many kids my doctor has killed (I have, btw.) All those items pose far more danger to kids than guns do.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Uhhh....
    I hope everyone knows that one of the "provisions" of the "Obamacare" bill is that ALL records collected by Doctors, Hospitals, and ALL Medical personnel are to be turned over to the "Proper Agencies" (unnamed as of yet) for inclusion in everyones PERMANENT medical portfolio, which will be available to ALL Federal Agencies upon request.

Mike

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Uhhh....
    I hope everyone knows that one of the "provisions" of the "Obamacare" bill is that ALL records collected by Doctors, Hospitals, and ALL Medical personnel are to be turned over to the "Proper Agencies" (unnamed as of yet) for inclusion in everyones PERMANENT medical portfolio, which will be available to ALL Federal Agencies upon request.

Mike
    One of those neat little tidbits that we had to pass the bill to find out about.
    Thanks, Pelosi! :rolleyes:

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Uhhh....

Mike

Attempt +1, but got you not that long ago! All I have to say is WOW!

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    One of those neat little tidbits that we had to pass the bill to find out about.
    Thanks, Pelosi! :rolleyes:
    I've waded through a good chunk of that POS bill and a great deal of the crap in it has very little to do with health care per se.
    It's a smokescreen to collect more taxes from the working stiffs and "redistribute" it to other people.
    Like the provision that we start paying Income Taxes on the amount that our Employers pay into our Health Care plans next year.
    Plus we pay Income Tax on ANY benefit amount paid by the Health Care Provider. That could be hundreds of thousands of dollars if you have a serious medical problem next year, or thereafter. You could easily owe more than your yearly income in taxes at the end of the year.
    (Sorry about the thread hijack but I'm mad as Hell over this crap!!)
    Mike

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I've waded through a good chunk of that POS bill and a great deal of the crap in it has very little to do with health care per se.
    It's a smokescreen to collect more taxes from the working stiffs and "redistribute" it to other people.
    Like the provision that we start paying Income Taxes on the amount that our Employers pay into our Health Care plans next year.
    Plus we pay Income Tax on ANY benefit amount paid by the Health Care Provider. That could be hundreds of thousands of dollars if you have a serious medical problem next year, or thereafter. You could easily owe more than your yearly income in taxes at the end of the year.
    (Sorry about the thread hijack but I'm mad as Hell over this crap!!)
    Mike

The other day, I only caught a brief segment of something on the radio that prompted me to follow up on it. But I hit a dead end....maybe YOU can help.
    The two gentlemen on a call-in show were discussing how the Health Care Bill now requires 3.5% of the sale of your house to be used for funding things in the bill. In other words, a homeowner will be penalized 3.5% of their profit to pay for programs/funding/etc. (and whatever else gets stuck in there).
    Run across any wording like that?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The other day, I only caught a brief segment of something on the radio that prompted me to follow up on it. But I hit a dead end....maybe YOU can help.
    The two gentlemen on a call-in show were discussing how the Health Care Bill now requires 3.5% of the sale of your house to be used for funding things in the bill. In other words, a homeowner will be penalized 3.5% of their profit to pay for programs/funding/etc. (and whatever else gets stuck in there).
    I haven't heard of that, but I have heard, that the employers part of health insurance, we will pay taxes on, just like income, I don't know if it will be like a 1099 form, or what .....

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I see if I can find any reference to this.
    The bill is 2454 pages of "Legalese" with enough hidden provisions and "refer back to" notes to make a seasoned Attorney wish that he/she had become a Plumber instead.
    If anyone cares to torture themselves by attempting to make sense of this foolishness here's a link to an official Government copy of the bill.
    It's in PDF format.
    Mike
    http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h3200rh.txt.pdf

Top Bottom