Pediatrician asked about firearms in the home.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    If I ever have anyone ask me this question, I think I will respond by asking what color underwear they have on. :D

To the OP, your incident is certainly a good lesson for all of us to keep our guard up when being questioned in nearly any situation. I'm sure if you were prepared for it, you would have answered differently. Just shows how easy it is to get caught of guard and what lengths some are willing to go to in order to trick us.

Thanks for the heads up. :yesway:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If the question is asked on a written questionaire, I ignore. When it's been asked in person, I rather bluntly reply "That's none of your business, and further discussion is out of line and will stop now."

DagerOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Just remember not to take it out on your pediatrician. For them, it's CYA. They're following the recommendations, as they are supposed to do. Like someone said, they may or may not have an opinion on the matter, but if you don't want to answer the question, inform them of this and they'll simply chart that you declined to answer...end of discussion. No reason to get rude or defiant.

Personally, this is one set of questions I don't mind answering. Some people really are stupid enough to not appropriately secure their firearms away from little ones and need the reminder. Certainly, you folks here aren't among those people, but your doctor doesn't and can't know that. If a doctor asks 1000 patients these questions, pisses off 999 of them while actually making 1 realize that they aren't being cautious enough, I'm okay with that. Better than avoiding an uncomfortable line of questioning and risking a child getting hurt. :twocents:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Asked those questions at about every doc we see new for our 4 kids health one way or another. Doesn't really bother me to answer, but I can see where some wouldn't want to. Sometimes when it asked if they are locked and kept safe i get a little creative. I believe I indicated on one form that I keep them under my kids crib along with where all the heroin is stored.

Excellent! I prefer to keep my guns in the basement with my meth lab. This is quite a feat considering I live in a single floor home with a crawl space.

Maybe the best answer is simply, yes. Yes I own many different safety devices and keep them in my home. I have outdoor lighting, fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, locks on the doors, and firearms.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    (I forgot the abbreviation for the organization she quoted was)

American Academy of Pediatrics - AAP

They are a very anti-gun organization. They officially support assault weapons bans and other kinds of anti-gun-owner laws that are demonstrably ineffective.

This kind of stuff seriously lowers my respect for the AAP and makes me wonder about the professional culture in pediatrics. Most professional organizations base their position statements on sound factual epidemiological or clinical evidence. All the evidence - including a huge review by the United States Centers for Disease Control - is that these kind of laws have no demonstrable impact on violent crime or public safety. The fact that the AAP supports them in the face of contrary evidence seriously lowers their professional credibility in my opinion.

For them, it's CYA.

I don't know if it's CYA. Nobody is going to have any grounds to sue them if your kid gets ahold of your guns. It's more like "following along mindlessly like a bovine herd animal."

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I would be finding a new pediatrician. This one sounds pretty nosey.

You'd probably have a hard time finding a pediatrician that doesn't at some point ask this question. Seems pretty standard nowadays. From my experience and from what others say they ask, you answer or don't, and they move on.

DagerOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I don't know if it's CYA. Nobody is going to have any grounds to sue them if your kid gets ahold of your guns. It's more like "following along mindlessly like a bovine herd animal."

If the AAP makes the recommendation and it's found that a member doesn't follow it, there could be consequences. Now, how could anyone possibly follow the tangent that says somehow the pediatrician is responsible in a situation where an accidental shooting involving a child occurred? In our society today, something ALWAYS has to be someone else's fault. Should a lawyer learn that Johnny had a doctor's appointment the week before he found pop's gun and accidentally fired it upon himself or someone else, I'm not certain that the doctor isn't questioned as to whether he/she followed the established guidelines for his/her profession that state that he/she should ask parents about the presence and security of firearms in the home.

Is it one HELL of a stretch? You bet. Is it completely out of the field of possibility? Unfortunately, I don't think it is.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    A few days ago, I took my 1 week old daughter for her first visit to the pediatrician. After the doctor gave my daughter the once over, she started asking questions about family medical history. After she asked about "addiction", she asked if there were any firearms in the home. I said, "Yes". She then asked, "How many?", to which I replied "A lot". She then asked me if the firearms and ammunition were all locked and stored in separate locations...

Sure! I've got guns at home. I've got one right here. Do you have any? I didn't know you were in to guns doc. That's so cool. What are you pack'n?

Is this billed by the visit or time we spend here? I could talk guns all day if you want to doc but I'm not pay'n by the minute to do it. In fact if you don't have any expertise in the area and just want to pick my brain about it may be we could work out a little barter system. I'll school you about guns and you eat the bill for the 5 minutes we actually spend on the medical stuff.

I can't believe this thread is on the same board with the ones about OC in Walmart and people's response to some one who can't figure out they aren't welcome after they've been asked straight out to leave. "Well can I come back now? How about now? How about tommorrow? Next week? Ever?" All these educators of "sheeple" and now you've got some one asking you about guns and do you all take the opportunity to actually share your hobby with some one? No you want to lie, denie it, get all offended about it.

Heck I've invited my doctor to the trap clubs, to shoot clays at my house or go deer hunting if he wants to. Never took me up on it but we've talked about it all and seemed interested and not offended in any way at all. We've talked about brush hogs, tractors, deer stands and chain saws.

I always ask for the last appointment of the day. They are about always running slow by then, you are held up by every emergency they had all day but by golly every one in the office is just about giggly they are so tickled pink to see you and I NEVER get rushed. I've spent almost an hour in the office talking about what ever health issue I was curious about from my own to when the Saw Palmetto cured my dog and what he thought about it and if there were any harmful affects from it for humans. He never seems like he's in a hurry when I see the doctor and the office call is the same cost every time if it's 15 minutes or 50 minutes.

Last edited:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    As others have stated the AAP as well as the AMA are very anti-gun organizations. The AAP in their 2004 Policy Statement summary and recommendations states "1. The AAP affirms that the most effective measure to prevent firearm-related injuries to children and adolescents is the absence of guns from homes and communities. etc etc". This is one of six recommendations that can be found at the end of the document located here:
    Firearm-Related Injuries Affecting the Pediatric Population -- Committee on Injury and Poison Prevention 105 (4): 888 -- AAP Policy

You'll notice the chairperson of this committe is none other than Marilyn Bull the director of our own local anti-gun organization located at Riley hospital The Indiana Violence Prevention Partnership
    Indiana Violence Prevention Partnership Home Page

The good news is that in most of the studies I have gathered on this issue most physicians don't really engage in this type of questioning (although most report it's a good idea), and i've never been asked and never talked to anyone that had so it's interesting to me to hear these accounts.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    My son's last pediatrician asked this question at every yearly checkup. Previously, the answer was honestly no. We didn't say that as soon as we could, we would. I asked why that was a question and she mentioned something about making sure that we would be safe with them, locking them up, etc.

I never worried about answering that question, because I didn't. Now, we have a new doc (she retired) and I'll probably tell the new doc that it's none of their business.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I don't think my doctor needs to ask this question. I have been battling a severe chest/lung infection. The nurse brought in a couple of shots while my doctor was filling out more scripts during my last visit. "Now hun, I'll need to get to your thigh for these shots" Without thinking, I unbuckled my pants and belt and my pants hit the floor lighting fast with a thud! Totally forgot about my Springer and dual mags. Both took a quick glance and back to business as usual. Guess I didn't look much like a threat ready to shoot up the office building :dunno:

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I was asked by our previous pediatrician. Are there guns in the home. "Yes." Where are they stored? "In a safe."

My wife is due in 6 days, so I guess I'll be asked again in a couple of weeks. We have a new pediatrician now. If asked again, maybe I'll decline to answer this time.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    My doctor and I talk about shooting and firearms at every appointment. Since I have a little more experience on the topic, he is always asking me questions. We have even talked about taking his teenaged son target shooting some weekend to give him an appreciation of firearms in all aspects.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Just remember not to take it out on your pediatrician. For them, it's CYA. They're following the recommendations, as they are supposed to do. Like someone said, they may or may not have an opinion on the matter, but if you don't want to answer the question, inform them of this and they'll simply chart that you declined to answer...end of discussion. No reason to get rude or defiant.

Personally, this is one set of questions I don't mind answering. Some people really are stupid enough to not appropriately secure their firearms away from little ones and need the reminder. Certainly, you folks here aren't among those people, but your doctor doesn't and can't know that. If a doctor asks 1000 patients these questions, pisses off 999 of them while actually making 1 realize that they aren't being cautious enough, I'm okay with that. Better than avoiding an uncomfortable line of questioning and risking a child getting hurt. :twocents:

The fact is that it is more likely that a child is injured in a bathroom accident or fall than injured by a firearm. It is probably more likely that he/ she will be killed or injured in a hospital through incompetence than be injured at home by a firearm. Your response just adds fuel to the myth that there is a major threat to a child's welfare by having a firearm in the house.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Have any of you had a similar line of questions at the pediatrician?
    I generally ask them if they any expensive Jewelry in their home and where they keep it at.
    Really?!
    Do you also lock and secure your car keys in a safe when not in your possession? Or your Kitchen Knives? Or your tools?
    Education will protect your children far more than a safe or trigger lock ever will. Take the magic and mystic away from firearms and you take away the curiosity of it also.
    I can't believe this thread is on the same board with the ones about OC in Walmart and people's response to some one who can't figure out they aren't welcome after they've been asked straight out to leave. "Well can I come back now? How about now? How about tommorrow? Next week? Ever?" All these educators of "sheeple" and now you've got some one asking you about guns and do you all take the opportunity to actually share your hobby with some one? No you want to lie, denie it, get all offended about it.
    Feeling a little grumpy today are we Jack?! LOL...

I don't think it is anyones business what I have in my home. I don't OC to educate people either. I OC just because I can, well that and it is a lot more comfortable. If you want to know what I do for Hobbies, are we off the clock. Because I am not paying to discuss what I do in my spare time. I am paying for a service, just like when I take my car to worked on. Less frivolous and pointless talk more work. Time is money, and money equals time...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't think our pediatrician has asked. I open-carried into the first few appointments with my wife and baby girl. I haven't been to the appointments recently. I'll see if my wife if she has been asked anything.

We've been asked all kinds of silly questions by doctors and nurses. I can only guess that the bulk of humanity actually NEEDS asked, which is pretty scary.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I have a six month old, so we've been to a few Dr appointments so far... nothing has come up outside of specific issues relating to the baby's health. Not sure how I'll respond if/when it does. Something to think about.

Top Bottom