• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Professor Paul Rahe is easily one of the most brilliant and authentic Conservative Constitutionalists on the scene today.

Please consider his insightful piece here. It is worth your time.

krugerb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Clarks Hill, IN
    It would be nice to believe that the next person to be president would really work to decrease the size and scope of the federal government. Unfortunately during the limited life time I have been watching it seems each new president only grows the government, but each in his own style.

The ratchet effect is in full force, and the straps only tighten on the average person. Perhaps a little loosening is done here or there to give us the feeling of relief, but ultimately the bonds are only made ever tighter.

As a Mormon I wish I could say that the fact Romney is a Mormon brings me comfort, but I grew up in Utah, and there most of the politicians are Mormons, but this has not prevented Utah from becoming an increasingly centrist and authoritarian state.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Interesting article but I don't think it is revolutionary. I have heard a couple of different analysts on FNC that think the same thing, that the polling is off, that this could be a real landslide. I hope so, but I didn't think Obama had a chance the first time around.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    In the meantime, you should not be afraid. This is going to be fun, and our margin of victory is going to be large.

I hope he's right. Even if he is, keeping Romney on the straight on narrow will not be an easy task, I'm afraid.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I pray he is right.

When the American people pause to pay attention, they will not vote for four more years of misery, four more years of corruption, four more years of lawlessness, four more years of race-baiting, and they will certainly not vote to embrace Obamacare.

But no one seems to understand WHAT Obama is, and I'm not sure you can defeat that which you do not understand. Obama has made a fool of himself, and this country, and he is still ahead in the poles! BHO is using a divert and ridicule tactic, which seems childish and pathetic, yet it is working for him. They orchestrated the whole Chik-Fil-A thing, and it did not backfire in their face, instead they got a 10 point gain. The whole world is upside down it seems.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It would be nice to believe that the next person to be president would really work to decrease the size and scope of the federal government. Unfortunately during the limited life time I have been watching it seems each new president only grows the government, but each in his own style.

The ratchet effect is in full force, and the straps only tighten on the average person. Perhaps a little loosening is done here or there to give us the feeling of relief, but ultimately the bonds are only made ever tighter.

As a Mormon I wish I could say that the fact Romney is a Mormon brings me comfort, but I grew up in Utah, and there most of the politicians are Mormons, but this has not prevented Utah from becoming an increasingly centrist and authoritarian state.

That fact that Harry Reid is also a Mormon is undeniably the biggest blemish on my experience that Mormons are almost uniformly some of the best human beings you will find.

Harry Reid should be excommunicated for "general douchiness"

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    That fact that Harry Reid is also a Mormon is undeniably the biggest blemish on my experience that Mormons are almost uniformly some of the best human beings you will find.

Harry Reid should be excommunicated for "general douchiness"

Really????? I never knew that.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Really????? I never knew that.

That is true. While he and other liberals would be a very decided minority among the Mormons, it IS the truth. While the vast majority of "Mormons" would be in the conservative to libertarian area, politically speaking, there are aberrations. Given the beliefs of members of the Church, plus its history, the libertarian to conservative nature of most folks should not be surprising.

Further, one of the main tenets of the church is to remain APOLITICAL as an organization. Only twice in my memory has a political opinion or even preference EVER been voiced. And even then, very quietly. Both times it was in defense of the nuclear family - something at the very core of Mormon belief.

Members are encouraged to be active citizens and to exercise their right to vote, etc. But expressing a political opinion at church meetings or facilities is ummm... "highly frowned upon in this establishment...". For want of a better term.

While not commonly known - this diversity of opinions among Mormons tends to argue AGAINST the notion that "Romney (or anyone) takes their orders from Salt Lake". Anyone who has hung out in Mormon society for a while will realize that that there's NO WAY. Kennedy was far more likely to take marching orders from the Pope (who is MUCH more political) - and by all appearances, he did not. And Bush had his advisors constantly keeping and eye on the Christian Coalition types... If anything Bush2 was FAR more likely than Kennedy or Romney to be swayed by a religious puppet master.

Oh side note to Hohn - while Harry Reid is indeed an aberration and many Mormons would shake their head (and their fist, and use some language uncharacteristic of a Mormon :D) in disagreement with Senator Reid - that's still not the way it works. Can't excommunicate 'em. EVERYONE - Harry Reid included , has the right to choose their political beliefs and all are encouraged to be politically active.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom