• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Tough call, man!

One can do some really cool stuff with stampings and stains... As well as buy some really cool pavers.

But plain concrete vs semi decorative pavers...go pavers. But be prepared for settling and weeds. (Not that a pad is immune from settling and cracks).

Might just come down to economics!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Tough call, man!

One can do some really cool stuff with stampings and stains... As well as buy some really cool pavers.

But plain concrete vs semi decorative pavers...go pavers. But be prepared for settling and weeds. (Not that a pad is immune from settling and cracks).

If I went concrete, it would definetely be stamped and stained.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Tough call, man!

Done right.....settling and weeds won't be a problem.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Pavers. We went with natural stone, but either is better than concrete. No matter what, concrete is going to crack. Yes, you can "show" the concrete where you want it to crack, but there are no guarantees.

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    We debated between the 2 as well, and we did a stamped and stained concrete - it does look good, and we have really enjoyed it.

The guys did a good job on getting the base down and they packed in gravel and sand I believe. They also used rebar to support. We did this about 9 years ago, and it was not cheap 4k maybe 4500. It is also big - 400 sq ft. That did include breaking up the old concrete patio and hauling away.

Two negatives, it did crack that was a bummer in the first year, and when it gets wet it is slick. I have fallen on it in the rain. It has a smoothed surface finish, and not brushed like 'plain' concrete.

If I could do it over, I think I'd go pavers.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Depends on how much your ground heaves during the freeze/thaw cycle. Pavers if there is a lot of movement as the mass will be more flexible, pour it if not.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Mine are up somewhere, can't remember the thread. I'll take updated pics tomorrow and put them up. How big of an area are you thinking about doing?

I'm hoping to include a firepit. But I need to do some figuring, I know that 20x20 is the largest I can go.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    If anyone would want to post up pictures of their patio, it would be helpful.

I'm trying to come up with ideas :D
    Wood. ;)

deck1.jpg

deck2.jpg

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    When I was 20 wanted wood decks. Yep. Lots of fun rebuilding again and again.
    Remember: TREE VERTICAL=Good, TREE HORIZONTAL=dead, decaying.

In my 30's new house went with pavers after living in the house for 5 years. (so the dirt was settled) The pavers FADE. Crap grows between them. Outside is retained and the sand washes out from underneath, so we take out a few here and there and reset them. Spray it for weeds. Algae grows on them, (North side of house)

So now I'm pushing 50. And I went with stamped concrete.

This is a 14X14' Patio slab that's been down since September. It is regular gray concrete, with a walnut release agent and a random stone pattern stamped in it. Two side faces are stamped as well. Then sealed. Surface is rough enough not to slip on.
    Hasn't broke yet....

IMG_0477_zps7dab9edf.jpg

IMG_0478_zps1a892845.jpg

Last edited:

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Concrete does give you two guarantees. It will get hard and it will crack. Pavers don't really have cracking issues, but settlement issues are a whole other thing. They will move and shift and heave. The main thing with both of these materials is to make sure they have a proper base. That will help either material last longer. Pavers need compacted stone under compacted sand under them. I like compacted bases under concrete as well, either #8 stone or #53's is what I prefer. Pea gravel works ok under concrete as well but you can't compact it. I also think concrete needs rebar in it and the joints should be hand troweled in, not cut in the next day. Either one is going to move around on you. This is Indiana and our ground and winters are not kind to exterior masonry. So, just go with which on you like the look of the most and make sure the job is done right.

Top Bottom