• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrs. Hoppes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen
    We had a couple of pups that were abandoned a couple of weeks ago. The other day, Freckles died of Parvo. Now, Blackie has it.

I'm trying to treat it at home. No, we can not afford thousands of dollars for a vet to just give IV fluids and antibiotics only to have an 80% mortality rate. We are doing enemas, subcutaneous injections of sterile water, antibiotics and oral syringes of honey water.

If we can keep him hydrated and prevent secondary infection, he stands the same chance as if he were at a vet. Actually better because he is in familiar surroundings with people he knows.

Anyway, any other suggestions? I am not ready to bury another dog.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Best of luck to you, your puppy, and your treatments. I don't have any additional advice to offer, but it sounds like you are doing everything within your power to save a life.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I hate illnesses in animals - my cat has FIV, and although it doesn't really present itself openly, it's something that will, sooner or later, take your cat from you..

But I figure he deserves just the same chance as anybody else, so we feed him and take care of him just the same :)

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    We put a parvo puppy down last winter. We didn't have the money for the vet treatment, and we were told that home treatment only has about 50-60% success rate. I couldn't stand to watch a sweet little puppy suffer for 5 days or more and still have a 50% chance of dying.

Parvo is nasty. I wish it could be eliminated.

Mrs. Hoppes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen
    This morning, he was perky and his urine looked normal. (He peed on the bathroom floor where we kept him during the night.

I let him out for a bit and haven't seen him since. Hopefully, he'll turn up soon.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Camhickey
    Top Bottom