• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Last night I am walking out of the bar on Howard St in Baltimore. It is 0300 and I am walking to my car in the back parking lot...a very sketchy parking lot. If you can picture the parking lot as a square and I was at 6 o'clock by my car. At 12 o
    clock I see a white female standing up against a wall about 75 yards away. She was not really doing or saying anything and appeared to be in no distress. About 10 yards to her left was a white car with all the doors open and a the interior lights on. About this time I hear a voice yelling to me, but cannot see where it is coming from. All I could tell is that it was coming from a maroon pick-up truck. The truck has a big cap on it and the window was busted out. Then the guy yelled again "hey can you give me a jump", I said I did not have cables (lie). Of course he yelled that he did. I still could not see him. I took my light out of my pocket and shined it on the truck. The guy (white) crawls out from under the truck from behind the passenger side front tire on his back. I can tell he is intoxicated. He says something about messing with the wires as he stands up. At this point I have my light on him and I am about 10 yards off of the rear passenger side. I moved around to see who else was in the truck. At that time I saw a black male who did not initially respond to my light being shined on him. He was on a cell phone. At this time my sixth sense said "get out of here, robbery" I told the guy that "I could not help him". Went back to my car and left. There have been a string of robberies in the area, and I don't know if these folks are involved and did not want to find out. So glad I carry my light all the time.

Wanted to share this as an example of how being too willing to helping people can put you into a bad position. Trust your intuition.- George

MorePowerWes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Palmyra, In
    Good stuff here. I'm not sure how I would have reacted in those situations. I like to think I would make the right choices. However I have no formal training. So threads like this, however no replacement for the real thing, are helpful. I'll share an experience I had late last September.

I was attending orientation for a new job. I was set to work the night shift, so orientation was late at night as well. I was looking to make a good impression so I dressed nicely (long sleeves to cover my "artwork"), and drove my Lexus as opposed to my trusty F-150. I opted to leave my carry piece in the car so as not to cause alarm at the orientation.

Orientation let out just after 1a.m. As I'm leaving I realize I need to stop for gas. So I jump off I-65 at Eastern Blvd in Clarksville, In. and pull into the Circle-K to gas up. I open my door and as I'm exiting my vehicle, something inside me tells me to get my piece out of the console. Mind you this is a well lit, public place. And though it's not the greatest neighborhood, I've never felt unsafe there. But, I slip my pistol in my waistband and walk inside to prepay for my gas. I walk back out and see a couple guys in the parking lot. Once again my intuition kicks in and tells me to keep my eyes on them, though they didn't SEEM to be a threat. As I start pumping my gas these guys approach me. They were obviously intoxicated. The first explains to me that he was from Mexico, and his American wife just kicked him out. He offered to pay me to give him a ride. I simply told him no. Then his friend (who is even more intoxicated) chimes in in broken English and offers me more money to give them a ride. Once again I said no.

By now I'm getting agitated. Of all the people pumping gas at the time, why are these guys insistent on ME giving them a ride? They could have just moved on and bothered someone else. So the first one asks again, and his buddy flashes more cash trying to convince me to let them in my car. By now, I'm full-on pissed. I look at these guys and firmly say "I've tried to be nice to you. I've told you NO several times. You've got 10 seconds to get away from me!!" The second guy says something else to try to change my mind. At this point I'm not paying attention to the words, I know something's wrong!! I raised my shirt and placed my right hand on my pistol. I looked down at it so as to bring attention to the fact I was armed. I then said "you're down to 5 seconds". They immediately left without asking anyone else for a "ride".

In retrospect, I think I could have handled this situation better. Preferably without having to touch my weapon. I understand that at the time I let my anger get to me a little. Not only did I feel threatened, but my redneck was starting to show. If this situation had escalated (thankfully it didn't) nothing good could have some from it. However, afterward I asked myself. Why didn't these guys approach the car load of young kids with the muffler dragging at to pump next to me? They could have probably used some extra gas money. Why were they so intent on getting a "ride" from me. Then it hit me! Nicely dressed white guy in a Lexus. Duh!! I was a target! So, ultimately I feel justified. But I understand that in the heat of the moment I let my anger have a say in my reaction. And that much was wrong. What do Y'all think?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Haven't check out the thread in a while. Looks like some interesting bits have been added.

... At this time my sixth sense said "get out of here, robbery" ... Trust your intuition.- George

Good read.

Been intending to start a thread for a while on this idea of trusting your gut.

Until then - trust you gut!

Top Bottom