• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwdeal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Hi .. Has anyone done business at the Gun Shop in Parker City?

Ludco??? What would be your opinion and is it worth the 1 hour drive?

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    The owner is an asshat. I've experienced it and MANY I've seen in other local shops have experienced it. Don't ask to see anything as he'll be too upset to show you. If you ask to see more than one gun, he'll start to ask you if you're going to buy anything... oh, and he's overpriced on everything. I stick to the small, local shops now. Ludco is slowly killing itself with how it treats it's customers.

First, I came in looking for a duty gun (this was over a year ago) and said that I'd like to hold a few I was looking at purchasing. One of the workers was nice and let me see a few different models, but when I asked to see a third, the owner asked me if I was ever going to buy anything. Then, I asked if he could ship an ar lower for me... after a lot of grumbling and such, he weighed it and "quoted" me $50 fee to ship it plus shipping and told me he won't take a card on it, only cash. I asked where an atm was and never came back.

He does have quite the inventory, but it's not professional looking. He stacks guns on top of each other in the case and you can't tell what the heck he has.

My take, there are many better shops to drive an hour to see. Many shops in Anderson and the new small one in Alexandria is picking up business because of how Ludco treats some people. There are small shops in Portland, IN that are much more worth it to see.

firstrock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've done business there for years. Not everyone likes Fred but then again you can't please everyone. If you are looking for wallyworld prices then you'll be disappointed. There's a reason Ludco has been in business for 30+ years! I guess most of you want Fred to PAY YOU to buy a gun from him! Jeesh!

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    My gosh, man, Fred was charging $550 for a USED stoeger Cougar 9mm... and one in crappy shape at that. I expect a businessman to be honest, and not a tool. You must be one of the 5 people that he'll talk to for over an hour before actually dealing with anyone else. Geez.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've done business there for years. Not everyone likes Fred but then again you can't please everyone. If you are looking for wallyworld prices then you'll be disappointed. There's a reason Ludco has been in business for 30+ years! I guess most of you want Fred to PAY YOU to buy a gun from him! Jeesh!

i excect freds prices to be a little higher and i know his in stock items are second to none. i dont expect fred to pay me to buy a gun from him, i do expect him not to be a ***____ when i ask to see a gun. ive ask him to show me a gun and you would swear i was asking for his first born. i can deal with the slightly higher prices i cant deal with his attitude when asking "do you have ?", or "can i see ?"

firstrock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And how many guns do you think Fred let's folks handle every day?? Kind of like the guys at Gander etc.... let me see that one... oh no, wait, I want to feel that one....oh, I'm sorry, not that one... the other one with the plastic handle!!! I'm not buying anything today, just had some time to kill (meanwhile actual customers have to wait to buy something).

Fred deals with folks everyday and sells LOTS of guns! So what the guy is grumpy every now and again, aren't you?

I'm not really defending Fred as I do know what you are referring to, I just don't think Fred is getting a fair shake on here. You guys don't like him?? Then don't spend your money there! Comments like the ones bashing Fred do nothing to help others make a decision about going there.

Fred sets his prices competitively and as such there is little wiggle room when it comes to price. I'm not saying that ALL his guns are at rock bottom prices just that for east central Indiana he is priced the best.

Visit him or not, it's not my concern. End of rant.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Fred deals with folks everyday and sells LOTS of guns! So what the guy is grumpy every now and again, aren't you?

i am absolutly grummpy from time to time as everyone is, and im sure he gets tired of folks wanting to se every gun in the place to kill time. my point is that its part of the business and im sure he knew that when he opened ? years ago. im sure he goes home and complains about customers just like everyone in sales does and thats fine. but for folks in sales they have to pretend to be happy that you are asking about? even if inside they are cussing you out. to for me someone in customer service (gun store) has to be happy to service the customer as it is the customer who pays there bills.

as far as "Comments like the ones bashing Fred do nothing to help others make a decision about going there." i believe they do. help the op make there decision as to wether or not to go there. i know i wouldn't drive a hour to go to a shop to be treated like a piece of ____.

i guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    . Many shops in Anderson and the new small one in Alexandria
    i only know of one shop in anderson which is crackshots what are the others?? i'm really not trying to be a jerk about it i promise just really curious cause i wanna beable to shop around a little more

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    i only know of one shop in anderson which is crackshots what are the others?? i'm really not trying to be a jerk about it i promise just really curious cause i wanna beable to shop around a little more

No problem. Sorry, I meant the one shop in Anderson and Alexandria. I've heard the same complaints from people in shops in Portland also. Crackshot isn't the best either, but Mike won't give you crap for wanting to see guns. His prices are just a little high sometimes. But, if I want something there, it's usually a negligible price increase. Mike sat there and discussed my quandry between the Glock 21 sf and SA 1911 mil-spec. That is customer service.

The shop in Alexandria is a good one also. He doesn't have a ton of guns, but what he does have are good pieces and the prices are pretty good. I know when I went to put my guns on consignment there, he looked everything up by the book and told me if my price was going to be hard to sell or not. He'll work with you on layaways and is a nice guy.

After experiencing excellent service and good prices at local shops, what you get at Ludco is not worth the trip.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    In my opinion go to Ricochet's or 21st Century firearms.

Here is why...as others have said...he does have the inventory and almost every type of gun you could possibly want. But be prepared he can be very grumpy and moody, and yeah on some days he can be a major asshat. But his prices are better priced then at stores like Don's guns or Gander Mountain. Or from what I have seen anyway. But his attitude plus how he acts when you ask to see something, kinda kills off the positives of his stock and prices. Also there is no wiggle room as far as negotiating is concerned, and if you intend to trade something...be prepared to get raped and or screwed over. If you want to see his stock, and if you are wanting to find something you can't find anywhere else. Chances are you will find it there. If not stick to your local area.

Or if you must come to check it out anyway. I recommend you stop by Ricochet's by Hartford City. He doesn't have a whole lot in stock. But his prices are great and he's polite. He is also good with haggling and will cut deals here and there. Also his prices on ammo is reasonable. Speaking of which did I mention Ludco's won't let you buy hollow points unless you buy a gun first? Oh and the FMJ'S he sells are stupidly high?
    So yeah my vote is for Rick Cain at Ricochet's. OR if you want to drive a little bit further from Hartford City, stop by Blufton at 21st Century firearms. They have decent stock and some really neat things there at really good prices.

They even have NFA items such as suppressors and machine guns. Something that will make Fred mad if you even ask him about it... :D

Last edited:

Steven

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2008
    Whitley County
    Here is why...as others have said...he does have the inventory and almost every type of gun you could possibly want. But be prepared he can be very grumpy and moody, and yeah on some days he can be a major asshat. But his prices are better priced the at stores like Don's guns or Gander Moutain. Or from what have seen anyway. But his attitude plus how he acts when you ask to see something, kinda kills off the positives of his stock and prices. Also there is no wiggle room as far as negotiating is concerned, and if you intend to trade something...be prepared to get raped and or screwed over. If you want to see his stock, and if you are wanting to find something you can't find anywhere else. Chances are you will find it there. If not stick to your local area.

Or if you must come to check it out anyway. I recommend you stop by Ricochet's by Hartford City. He doesn't have a whole lot in stock. But his prices are great and he's polite. He is also good with haggling and will cut deals here and there. Also his prices on ammo is reasonable. Speaking of which did I mentioned Ludco's won't let you buy hollow points unless you buy a gun first? Oh and the FMJ'S he sells are stupidly high?
    So yeah my vote is for Rick Cain at Ricochet's. OR if you want to drive a little bit further from Hartford City, stop by Blufton at 21st Century firearms. They have decent stock and some really neat things there at really good prices.

They even have NFA items such as suppressors and machine guns. Something that will make Fred mad if you even ask him about it... :D

:+1:

Couldn't have said it better myself.​

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Youse guys ain't gonna believe this, but I broke down and stopped in at Ludco last week on my way home. Wanted to see a certain pistol, and had some time to kill. Also wanted to check on some ammo for a buddy. Fred was actually PLEASANT!!! You coulda knocked me over with a feather. He let me see my choice without a *****, and didn't grump at or majorly try to screw anyone the whole time I was there! It's a new world's record!! I wonder if he's been reading the threads... hmm... Honestly, though, some of his stupid prices I think is because he just doesn't know. You don't have to ask him too much to realize that the guy with the most guns in ECI isn't really a gun guy, just a schill..... Will wonders never cease.

Top Bottom