• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bollerman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Anybody know if there any clubs or groups that my daughter and I could gather and shoot with? We live on the southeast side of Indianapolis, closer to us the better. Thanks.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I think nearly every club would love to have parents and children. It would depend on what you wanted to try. If you are into trap/skeet then an Isaac Walton League may be a good starting point. Otherwise, any local club you can find will have various disciplines. May also try your local 4H club, as I am sure they have something that would be of interest.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Check out www.isrpa.org for active Junior shooting programs. Many places would be happy to see both of you. I hope to see both of you on the line.

Be sure to read about the Indiana Junior shooters who have won scholarships and have gone on to collegiate and Olympic level competition.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I just emailed a "new to shooting events" friend yesterday with this statement and I think it applies here. "People that like shooting know that the politics of gun ownership is a fragile thing. Because of that you will find at shooting events, unlike anything I've ever seen, everyone is motivated to get more people into shooting because the result is more and more well informed people. You will not find a group of people where there is a higher percentage of them that are honestly wanting to go out of their way to encourage new people to get into anything related to gun ownership." It is, in my opinion, unique to the culture of gun ownership. In any other "sport" they feel totally comfortable ribbing and putting down people that participate in what is really only a slight variation of the same sport. I don't see that in the culture of shooting and gun ownership.
    Any of the above links and references are good but I wouldn't be afraid to show up to any shooting event you see on INGO or gun store and ask for direction or advice. Good luck with your search, and keep looking until you find what you want.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Steel Challenge is a great place to shoot with kids. It can be done with a .22 rifle or pistol that is magazine fed. Requires little movement and is not gear intensive.

Top Bottom