• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Noblesville
    Hello,

No previous military or camping skills here. But I keep hearing about the greatness of Paracord (almost like Duct Tape it seems).

Anybody with a lot of experience with this please advise. Also, Do you have to know how to tie knots?

Thanks.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've made some lanyards, key fobs, and even a dog collar out it, but I mainly keep a bundle of it in my packs and vehicles because you just never know when it'll come in handy.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Bootlaces, bore cleaner, key fob, hold up yer pants, knife handle cover, axe handle cover, watch band, pandora bracelet, rifle sling, hammock, tie down, fishing line, etc...

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Ridgelines for tarps.
    Hang a food bag in bear country.
    Anchor line for kayak.
    Line for a bow drill to start a fire.
    Clothes line in camp.
    Loops for holding a 2 liter bottle on your pack.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I keep a roll of it in my car, and I have it on one of my knives that I use for chopping a bit. I put it on there so if I happen to let go of the knife the cord won't let it go flying. I should get another roll to use around the house.

I've also used it when I was stringing cables above the drop ceiling in the basement.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I use it to keep my beverages hot or cold.

IMAG0414_1.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

I have also used it to make a gun sling.

IMAG0563_1_1.jpg

And knife lanyards, pouches, bracelets and whatever else I feel like making.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Para-cord is a better material than the cord that comes with most tents/awnings. We use it to replace these cords. It will last as long as the tent/awning.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Lots of the affection that para cord gets is from Vets who've found themselves in a tight spot in the field and all they had to repair or build something with was para cord. I've used it for tying down a tarp for shelter, used the innards for fishing line, keeping ground blinds from blowing away, etc. The last time I used some was because a buddy needed a sling for a rifle to be used in class the next day and he's new to firearms and didn't have his sling squared away yet. He showed up the night before with a sling that didn't mount right to his rifle, so a couple feet of 550 cord later and he was up and running with a working sling. It's just the little situations where you find yourself stuck and short on time that some 550 cord can make life a lot easier.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    This is just something I heard or read or something.......Emergency Garrote. Also to lash your knife sheath to your pack shoulder straps. Tying up bad guys. Flicker for the end of a Buggy Whip.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom