• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    This is why I despise driving schools, free-standing or operated as an adjunct to a trucking company. Rather than as in the good old days when people became truck drivers because they wanted to drive a truck and learned from a truck driver, and started driving on his/her own when that driver felt that adequate proficiency had been attained, it is now a numbers-based timed program in which people who apply because they saw an ad in the classifieds telling them they could make $50K/year get shoved through a 3 week or so program, shepherded through the testing program (often administered by the school itself with no real oversight), told they are now 'professionals' and turned loose in trucks.

Don't forget, these are the same people that get Indiana Unemployment to pay for the truck driving school...

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    A tragic loss to a historical bridge. A similar event happened here in Martinsville in the last twenty years when a dump truck tried to cross an old steel bridge. I think it was on Burton Lane east of town. There's a 1893 iron bridge on Old 67 just a few miles from me. Every time I cross it I wonder how much longer it will be before some idiot destroys it. My guess would be that the bridge in Paoli will be replaced with a concrete structure.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    This is why I despise driving schools, free-standing or operated as an adjunct to a trucking company. Rather than as in the good old days when people became truck drivers because they wanted to drive a truck and learned from a truck driver, and started driving on his/her own when that driver felt that adequate proficiency had been attained, it is now a numbers-based timed program in which people who apply because they saw an ad in the classifieds telling them they could make $50K/year get shoved through a 3 week or so program, shepherded through the testing program (often administered by the school itself with no real oversight), told they are now 'professionals' and turned loose in trucks.
    As a guy who went through one of the driver mills , I have to agree . Most of these folk have no business in a tractor , they should be restricted to class B for a few years first .

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    It gets even worse. She not only is a new truck driver, she is a rookie when it comes to driving any motorized vehicle. She left the Amish about a year ago. Makes me feel really safe knowing they will put anyone behind the wheel.
    By Roger Moon Bedford Times-Mail
    PAOLI — The driver of a semi-truck and trailer that attempted to cross an iron bridge in Paoli on Friday, causing the bridge to collapse, was identified Saturday afternoon as Mary Lambright, 23, of Fredericksburg.

“She’s a very inexperienced driver,” Paoli Police Chief Randy Sanders said of Lambright, explaining that she had left the Amish order a year or so ago. Lambright’s history of driving a motorized vehicle was even more limited, because the Amish use nonmotorized modes of transportation.

The full story is here but may be behind a pay wall:
    Police identify driver in Paoli bridge collapse - HeraldTimesOnline: Local News

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    As a guy who went through one of the driver mills , I have to agree . Most of these folk have no business in a tractor , they should be restricted to class B for a few years first .

I can tell you from working with a group of people who all have their class b, I'm not sure that is a good idea either. Maybe extend the minimum on the road training to more than 8 hours (I forget what it is now).

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana

:yesway:.....yup.....

At's cause they run'em thru like cattle in a auction...:whistle: it all 'bout the head-count....:rolleyes:
    prolly......?......whut, 7-9K evertime they graduate 1 'ese idiots?.....:dunno:

my Dad drove almost 30 yr......dedicated W/Coast runs, reefer.......he'd be apalled.......PIZZ'd , more so.... at'a drivers they turn loose on roads now'a days

whut'a ....ding-bat......

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    There was a similar incident in Salem long ago involving a coal truck and an old bridge. They eventually replaced the old vehicle bridge with a walking bridge. It was a shame because the vehicle bridge was very handy.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I wonder if she can make a good sandwich, she's probably driven her last truck for a minute?
    I wouldn't trust her to make a sandwich. As stupid as this is to the layperson it is even more so to someone like me that actually drove for a living for years. So many basic fails here, and not all are hers.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It looked to me like the semi was taller than the opening for the bridge too. Scary that she was allowed to drive the thing. I'm thrilled she only took out a bridge.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    There was a similar incident in Salem long ago involving a coal truck and an old bridge. They eventually replaced the old vehicle bridge with a walking bridge. It was a shame because the vehicle bridge was very handy.

WOW that was a long time ago. 56 jogs left heading towards the light and (I think it was) Mulberry went straight down towards Water Street. Seems like that was before I got my license, in 1981!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I wouldn't trust her to make a sandwich. As stupid as this is to the layperson it is even more so to someone like me that actually drove for a living for years. So many basic fails here, and not all are hers.

Me either. I'm afraid I'd end up with a plumbers putty and KY jelly sammitch.

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE

I went through CRSTs driver mill back in the late 90s, but I actually had heart and desire to drive, and I come from a family on both sides that were truckers. My wife was working the human resources side of trucking when I met her 11 years ago and her grandfather even owned his own trucking company back in the day.
    These days I can tell just by looking at a rookie if they are going to make it or not.
    The company I'm with now will hire noobs just out of school, we just hired 2 last fall. Both of them are already gone after causing literally 1000s of dollars in damage...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom