• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Anybody ever been out pan'n for gold on here.... Seen a deal on that gold fever TV show, they were at yogie bear camp ground just north of 70 on 109 and they found some gold... Not a truck load but they did find some, just woundered if anyone ever did any panning for gold on here ??? Always wanted to but never have, Indiana is a good place according to gold fever TV show.....

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I've read a little bit from a couple of google searches. Brown County sounds to be a good spot as well. I've been kicking the idea around for a year or so of going to Brown county and actually panning.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    We have tried it a couple of times. Once down in Brown Cty and once in Morgan/Monroe SF. A few small flakes is all so far. I'm thinking that this spring might be a little better because of the amount of snow and rain we've had this winter causing more run off that washed more down into the stream beds.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    From what Ive read on it creek's with big bends/tight bends are a good cause when we get big rains the banks wash out and bring new material into the creeks and in turn brings in more gold... But I don't know crap about it, this is just what others think ??? That sounds like it makes sence tho... I would say its not a easy thing to do or everyone would do it.....

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    While I think it would be interesting I'll never do it. For me it would present similar dangers to gambling, the worst thing in the world would be finding a decent nugget. Once that happens I would be absolutely convinced that the next pan would have a bigger one; I'd never stop, lol.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    Anyone who lives in a glacially deposited terrain lives in a "good spot." Also of note are diamonds, though admittedly most of the find would be microscopic in size.

tfouty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    I have seen a few people panning on sugar creek in the Crawfordsville area. I always ask if they are finding any, most say they have, but none have offered to show me anything.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Gatesville in brown county, Big Pine creek in attica, the Eel river in Logansport, the rockcreak and deer creek in carrol county just to name a few of my spots......we have diamonds here to. the is a old publication called Gold and Diamonds in Indiana. some good info on the Indiana geo website

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Just a geology note: Indiana has two different ways gold can be found.

Panning in glacial till areas (not areas of loess) where gold in flake or nugget form was transported here from areas north. The end and lateral moraine areas of the glacial lobes represent the highest likelihoods and the chance of finding a nugget is better than the next:

Then there's other areas where the creeks and streams come from sandstone deposits, especially the Pennsylvanian sandstones which are river deposited (wind deposited sandstones contain virtually no gold). While it is POSSIBLE to find a nugget, it's much less likely as there has been a lot more working of the deposited material.

Indiana does not contain areas where hard-rock mining for gold is feasible.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have thought about grabbing a pan and hitting 6 mile creek behind my house as well as the blue river in hancock county just for giggles.... would probably get boarded with it in an hour though.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    A guy that works for me is really big into gold prospecting and he always said fou need a shallow river with a ton of natural rocks in it. Somewhere where you are close to limestone.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Ive been considering running my metal detector on the Wabash which is a walk across my woods, a beanfield and a small strip of woods for me. Id like to break in my metal detector this year really good. Didnt get much time to do it last year and the treasure I found in my front yard must have been treasure in the eyes of someone else because it wasnt treasure for me. Maybe I could find some recently dropped change in my driveway! How much are pesos worth? :laugh:

RLC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Greenville IN
    I did a lot of panning and dredging in the northern california in the 80s and early 90s. Little North Fork of the Yuba river and the Rubicon. Had a 4" dredge with air set up. It was a blast. I didn't know there was gold to be had in Indiana. It's another addictive hobby. A quick panning technique is a real plus when you're sampling an area..

Huntrdan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Columbus
    Took the wife and the grandson on an ATV trip to Colorado last summer. We panned in 2 different spots. Found nothing in the first spot and had flakes in ever pan in the second. It was fun. Kind of exciting. Very simple and easy to do.

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    If anyone needs a mini sluice and pans I would do some trading on them, like always I bought the stuff off a buddy and never used it. Good backpack rig .

Pics on request, seems like I posted an add year or two ago ??

npark362

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2014
    Solsberry
    I have always wanted to try panin, I think it would be awesome to find some gold and never would have thought that there would be gold in IN, I always thought it would only be found in cali or farther out west.. interesting to know that there is possibly some in IN.

Top Bottom