• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm hoping to wrap up all of the trim work in my bathroom project tomorrow so I'll be ready to paint. I've never used a paint sprayer but I'm thinking it would be much more efficient for this application. I could tape everything off in probably 45 minutes and get a better paint job than brushing.

Anyone have or use one that works well and isn't $300+? I've already dropped $1500 on this project this week so funds are dwindling rapidly.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Get your paint brush loosened up. I got a sprayer(Graco) a few years back, takes some practice to get used to them and they start at a few hundred bucks. My 2 cents

If you bring it up here tomorrow and paint my bathroom I'll give ya yer $50 back. I'll have it taped off and ready to go when you get here, won't take long at all I promise. :D:D

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    With all the painting we do (7 rental units), we still don't use a sprayer. We roll the walls and use a brush to cut in near the ceiling and next to trim. I don't even bother with taping, but Mr88GT usually does for the areas he paints.

And Bunny is right, clean up of the sprayers is no fun. But we've decided that rollers are disposable as well and usually just toss our after one or two uses. So our standard of clean-up is hard to beat. :D

For a bathroom, I'd say for all the set up, hassle of learning curve, and clean up, you'll get it done faster just by rolling the walls and brushing the rest.

Helps to use good paint too. Depending on the current wall color, there are paints that go up in single coat coverage (assuming the painter applied it correctly, of course).

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    With all the painting we do (7 rental units), we still don't use a sprayer. We roll the walls and use a brush to cut in near the ceiling and next to trim. I don't even bother with taping, but Mr88GT usually does for the areas he paints.

And Bunny is right, clean up of the sprayers is no fun. But we've decided that rollers are disposable as well and usually just toss our after one or two uses. So our standard of clean-up is hard to beat. :D

For a bathroom, I'd say for all the set up, hassle of learning curve, and clean up, you'll get it done faster just by rolling the walls and brushing the rest.

Helps to use good paint too. Depending on the current wall color, there are paints that go up in single coat coverage (assuming the painter applied it correctly, of course).

No need to use a sprayer. They are good for contractors wanting to put a quick coat of paint on a large area( entire interior of home or exterior). Do as above in red and you will have a much better job and it won't take any more time than spraying. Especially considering the size of your project.

Another tip: as said above, don't cheap out on the paint. You don't necessarily have to go to a paint specialty store and buy high end paint, The Home depot line of paints works pretty well. I have never used the paint/primer in one and probably won't, but the Behr Premium covers well. I also have gotten used to priming the walls first. It helps create an awesome finish. I am not a pro, but was a handyman for awhile and have done more painting than the average homeowner and I can humbly say that my paint jobs are usually better than what the pros can do.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Do not use a sprayer. Over spray will go everywhere, and as the previous person pointed out, you still have to back roll . Get a good quality paint brush, roller, and paint. Paint the walls and ceiling, two coats. After it cures, tape off the trim, apply three coats of paint to the trim.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    That's because I'm too damned [STRIKE]cheap[/STRIKE] frugal to pay people to do things for me. :D

I also enjoy the challenge. Fortunately it works out well most of the time.

I couldn't let that pass! There is a significant difference.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you're dead set on a sprayer, rent an airless, just be amazed when your whole house has a thin film of paint throughout.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Maybe not on clean walls. But I have seen water marks come thru 3 coats of primer and seen old stained trim work come thru 4 coats of good paint+primer. I love oil base primer for just about everything.

Top Bottom