• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Had someone on GT offer to trade my P99 for his LNIB G17...

I'm thinking that straight retail shop prices, I'm still up quite a bit with my P99, right?

I presume that a normal retailer would sell a LNIB, stock sights, 2 mags G17 for under $500...right? $475ish?

I also presume that the same normal retailer would have my almost LNIB + 3 mags P99 for around $600...probably $575

wouldn't trade even, I'd ask for ammo or something to make it equitable.

Thoughts on THIS trade?

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If night sights are on the G17 would put the value a little higher, but you are correct Id say you'd need a little bit more to equal a fair trade ammo,mags, cash etc. Just my :twocents:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Both are nice guns, but I would put the value of the P99 a little higher. No reason for you to make the trade unless you have your heart set on the glock.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm still mulling this over, but I'm ending up at "probably not" more so than "sure, why not?".

Seems to me that my mind's made up and I just don't know it yet. LOL

-J-

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    If you traded, you wouldn't be able to roll-play as Bond anymore. Where's the fun in that?

Bond... James Bond.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's not so much that I'd trade it away because Glock is so much better or anything... I don't think they are. I believe that the P99 is superior in fit, finish, and ergonomics. Looks, too. And the price definitely reflects that.

Better "real world"? Nah... 'Bout the same, really. Glock has just done a phenomenal job of marketing to LEO, just about cornered the market on the aftermarket, and made it possible for myriad other folks to cash in on the aftermarket, too.

So I wouldn't trade it because I don't like it...

I'd trade it, though, to get into something that I'd enjoy using more. In MY hands, the P99 exhibits quite a penchant for muzzle flip whereas G19 and G17 don't. I'm able to do actual double-taps with the Austrian offerings; very tough for me to do them in the German.

Having said that...I just don't think I want a G17. Practically identical in size to the P99...but just seems to carry itself larger. If that makes any sense.

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Oh, It's a real-deal German Walther P99. 1st Generation.

I just turned the guy down for his G17 + $100. Decided, after thought, it just wasn't a pistol I wanted to trade into.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Not to jack your thread but here is a little story of what I just went through with mine...

I was all set to trade my 1st Gen P99 for a Kahr PM9 DLC with night sights, 4 mags and Bullard leather pocket holster. Very happy because this is exactly the gun I want down to the holster. Not local. Guy sends me his FFL, we exchange info and agree on the trade after several days of PM's back and forth. Then right before I ship it he pulls the plug. Tells me he is going out of town for the week and is going to sell the gun locally after that. 20 minutes after that he posts it for sale in the firearms section. LOL

This is on Glocktalk. I had a mind to leave him a -1 but I don't think I will.

Top Bottom