• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I was showing one of my listings this afternoon and walking the exterior when there was excruciating pain in the arch of my foot. One of the lovely pieces of landscaping is some monster of a tree with 3" [STRIKE]thorns[/STRIKE] mace spikes. The spike pierced my barely-there flip-flop and found the tender part of my sole. My whole foot is aching now. And it's a pain (ha! pun intended) to walk. Yes, I've cleaned it out. Yes, I will be seeking a doctor's care and a tetanus booster tomorrow. But in the mean time.....:crying:

On a positive note: the buyer's agent was carrying. :yesway: Sloppy OC for those who have to know. :): I wanted to ask if he was an INGOer, but it wasn't appropriate conversation at the time. So if he was (and you're reading this Mr. Buyer Agent), here's a shout out!.

Georgia A Hines

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    88GT
    But you see, I like those trees. Grew up with them, But they are not for the yard but for the outlying border. They have beautiful foliage and sweet smelling blooms and they bring the bees for pollinating the fruit trees and the garden plants. I also have the red bloomers. Sorry you are hurt, there is probably a tiny piece of the thorn, the very tip of it in your foot. They do get painful. They poison me and so do rose thorns. Makes my skin turn black, not red. Watch for infection and soak in Epsom salts for drawing affect.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    88GT
    But you see, I like those trees. Grew up with them, But they are not for the yard but for the outlying border. They have beautiful foliage and sweet smelling blooms and they bring the bees for pollinating the fruit trees and the garden plants. I also have the red bloomers. Sorry you are hurt, there is probably a tiny piece of the thorn, the very tip of it in your foot. They do get painful. They poison me and so do rose thorns. Makes my skin turn black, not red. Watch for infection and soak in Epsom salts for drawing affect.

Well there you go.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I love Honey Locust trees. Those spines look so cool on the trunk of the tree and they have lots of blooms in the spring and lots of different animals like to eat the bean pods.

But, yeah, I probably wouldn't want one in my yard.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was showing one of my listings this afternoon and walking the exterior when there was excruciating pain in the arch of my foot. One of the lovely pieces of landscaping is some monster of a tree with 3" [STRIKE]thorns[/STRIKE] mace spikes. The spike pierced my barely-there flip-flop and found the tender part of my sole. My whole foot is aching now. And it's a pain (ha! pun intended) to walk. Yes, I've cleaned it out. Yes, I will be seeking a doctor's care and a tetanus booster tomorrow. But in the mean time.....:crying:

Did you examine the thorn carefully to make sure none of it got left behind? If there's a piece in there, it could either make your life miserable or your body will eventually absorb it and you'll not notice.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    If you wait until the wood dries out, and try to cut a honey locust, it will dull your chain saw blade in no time flat.
    It actually makes sparks while you are trying to cut it.
    Very hard wood once it cures.

michaeladkins

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Indy
    Those Honey Locust trees are bad news. We have 3 of them in the yard and I am constantly trimming the thorns off. I am always worried my son or the dog is going to get stuck by a thorn.

I did the same as the OP one time and had one stick in my flip flop. Not a great feeling.

Get feeling better soon!

Mike

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL

On a positive note: the buyer's agent was carrying. :yesway: Sloppy OC for those who have to know. :): I wanted to ask if he was an INGOer, but it wasn't appropriate conversation at the time. So if he was (and you're reading this Mr. Buyer Agent), here's a shout out!.

OUCH! One of my roommates had that happen to him when we were playing frisbee once. He ran under this tree and I just saw him tumble to the ground and reaching for his foot. We had to cut off his tennis shoe to get his foot out since the thorn went all the way through the sole of the shoe and almost all the way through his foot.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    About 6 or 7 years ago, while out hunting, I made the mistake of accidentally leaning back into a large locust tree. The thorn punctured though my pack, coat, and two additional layers into the small of my back. About 1/2 inch of it broke off under my skin! We couldn't get on it in order to get it out as it was under my skin, so off to the ER. The doc worked on it for quite a while before deciding he had to cut. I'm more careful now.

Top Bottom