• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My only sporting shotgun is a Ruger Red Label that my wife bought me for Christmas circa 2006-2007. It tried to have it fitted but in the end it is a pretty hunting gun and definitely not a high round count game gun. I agree with the statement that a competition O/U is going to set you back $2k.

For the money follow others advise and look at the semi autos. The guys I know who are into shooting clays all shot Beretta gas guns. OK, I do know one O/U guy but he shoots a Perrazi and Krieghoff and drives a Porsche SUV so he has plenty of trunk space.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Did anybody read the OP? He said his kid was using a pump hunting gun and doing good. An 870.

Maybe he should get the young fellow a new 1100 and see how he does?

I’ll stand by what I said up thread, “don’t let the skeet snobs dictate what you do”.

Now does anyone know where I can buy a budget Ferrari?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Did anybody read the OP? He said his kid was using a pump hunting gun and doing good. An 870.

Maybe he should get the young fellow a new 1100 and see how he does?

I’ll stand by what I said up thread, “don’t let the skeet snobs dictate what you do”.

Now does anyone know where I can buy a budget Ferrari?
    A Remington 1100 is a fair option for a semi auto.
    But to be fair as you pointed out, did you read the Tite and OP? The OP was asking for recommendations on a "budget Over Under".
    While there are some fine options in a semi auto that are more budget friendly than a quality O/U, that's not what was asked. Reality is as Limpy 88 stated, you can find decent used Browning Citori's for around $1500 if you look hard enough. Some Berettas can be found in the same price range. A new Citori CX or CXS will set a person back about $2200-2500.

Sure there are "budget" O/U's from the likes of Mossberg, CZ, TriStar and others that can be bought cheaper. But those generally just don't hold up to the volume of shooting competition shooters put through a gun in a year. Do some research and you will see that more often than not they don't hold up and the don't hold much in resale value.

Just to be clear, I'm not a "skeet snob". Never shot skeet to be honest. Always heard serious skeet shooter wear tutu's and carry handbags LMAO. I've always leaned toward trap and sporting clays.

Now, if the budget allows a significant jump from that then by all means a Perazzi, Kolar or Krieghoff would be fine options. Those would be among the Ferrari equivalents lol.

Top Bottom