Outgrowing my range bag, any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I've been using a hard-bottom tool bag I used to use at work, but it's getting a little tight in there.

Looked at this at Midway: MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag System

But it's still a little short for my taste @ 22 inches.

Do they make any longer range bags? Something long enough to have an AR with the stock collapsed would be ideal, but that may be pushing it.

Pharaoh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I bought this one.

Amazon.com : Explorer Jumbo Range Gear Bag, 20-Inch, Black : Hunting Game Belts And Bags : Sports & Outdoors

It was a big upgrade from my smaller Allen bag. Now I can get all four pistols, 200-300rds 9mm, 100-200rds .45, 550 brick of .22, 4 AR mags + extra rds and a box or two of 12a shells. Not to mention, my earmuffs, shooting glasses, holsters, mag pouches, cleaning tools, field repair tools, stapler, markers, etc. It holds a lot! I'm happy with it, especially since it has wheels.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Take a look at LA Police Gear's bags. I've had great success with them and they are reasonably priced, especially if you can catch them onsale.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I bought an Uncle Mike's police gear bag years ago and love it. It's huge and will hold enough stuff you can barely lift it and has pockets all the way around the outside. Very heavy duty construction and zippers. Lots of companies offer them now. Also look at photographer's camera bags.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Buy a big pelican case or something like that, then just dump it all in the tub and throw it in the truck... Heck you can have multiple bags in it if you want!

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Take a look at LA Police Gear's bags. I've had great success with them and they are reasonably priced, especially if you can catch them onsale.

I 2nd the LA PoliceGear bag. I got one for myself and our ISP Trooper son in-law. He's got his really loaded down. It's held up great for him so far and taken abuse.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Honestly, my suggestion would be a second smaller bag. There's only so much weight you can put in a range bag before it becomes too heavy to carry comfortably. I tend to have one bag for handguns/eyes/ears and one for ammo. Or another thing I've done is either pack handguns or ammo in a large ammo can.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    How long has it been since anyone saw a Pachmayr Pistol box? The three pistol box was all we needed, the 4 pistol box was luxury....

These days I just pack what I need in a single cloth bag for the event. If I am bringing more, I also use a second bag.

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    I have purchased the Midway bag and the 5.11 equivalent, both are great bags. I bought the 5.11 first and paid around $40 more. On both, the straps go all the way around the bottom of the bag and will support more weight than you will want to carry, both are organized very well and have a removable bag for carrying ammo.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Another vote for MidWay bags. I have had lesser bags ripped apart in under 1 year. Mine is 6 years old and still going strong. Will handle more weight than you want to carry. Among friends, members at my club, matches, etc., MidWay bags are the predominate bag used.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I'll add another vote for the second/additional bags.

One for the gun(s) and a little ammo/tools. Additional ammo bag for lots 'o fun.
    Maybe the ammo bag holds Eyes & Ears, maybe they're in another that always goes.

I'm a fan of soft side tool bags. Inexpensive, available everywhere, and stealth! Some have dividers, others are completely open, all can add ties/loops/holsters/compartments easily.

Top Bottom