• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • recon19d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Sierra Bravo November
    Im wondering if anyone knows what route i need to go to get my LTCH in IN, Im stationed at Ft. Carson, CO and currently have my concealed carry here, which is valid in IN, but I need to cancel it within 60 days of moving from this state, so i'm trying to get my IN permit so i dont have a period in between where i dont have the ability to conceal, so what im asking is i guess, what do i put under "occupation" and "Address" since i currently am in CO but will be moving back to IN in November

rooster3654

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox County
    I would just wait until you get back to Indiana to get it. Just get you DL changed as soon as you get back. Try will give you a temporary one. File the application online and setup an appointment with L1. Once you have that done you can finish the application at your local pd. Getting printed through L1 speeds uP the turn around. I got mine back after going to the local PD in less than a week.

rooster3654

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox County
    Ya I'm in the same boat to an extent. I'm a reservist and travel for work so my HOR is my parents house. If you have maintained your Indiana DL you will e able to have your permit within a week after you return home. I would not file before moving back though because if they find out that you aren't actually living in state at this time they it will cause you a great deal of grief.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I am guessing that you CO permit is Non-Resident, since you maintained your HOR as Indiana. If that is so, you can apply for your LTCH using your IN address.
    I would contact IN State Police and your local Sheriff's office to see about the procedure for you doing this from your permanent Duty Station. You may have to wait until you get back to IN.

Also, check to see if your CO permit would continue to be valid. If it is a non-res, it might be. Not sure though.

recon19d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Sierra Bravo November
    My CO permit is a resident one, which is why I have 60 days after I move back to IN to terminate it, its really weird doing stuff with the military, because All i need are my orders and I can get all the resident rates and discounts in whatever state i am stationed in, but when i PCS/ETS (move duty stations or get out of the army) everything for the most part that i had in that state becomes useless. Kind of confusing process to try and explain i suppose, but I guess i cant go wrong with contacting some LEO back home.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Yeah car insurance and plates were always fun explaining. At one time I had IN DL, SC plates, NY insurance (I didn't know there was a differance)

Your going to have to be home (IN) to do certain things, i.e. fingerprints, sometimes your local police cheif/sheriff will want a FTF convo. I don't think you would have a problem applying for it now. But IMO would be easier if you just did L1 after you get back. Couple of guys I work with have non-resident LTCHs and they got them in less than 2 weeks using L1.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Yeah car insurance and plates were always fun explaining. At one time I had IN DL, SC plates, NY insurance (I didn't know there was a differance)

Your going to have to be home (IN) to do certain things, i.e. fingerprints, sometimes your local police cheif/sheriff will want a FTF convo. I don't think you would have a problem applying for it now. But IMO would be easier if you just did L1 after you get back. Couple of guys I work with have non-resident LTCHs and they got them in less than 2 weeks using L1.

Indiana does not have a non-resident license. You have to live or work in the state.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    As long as your HOR is Indiana, you are an Indiana resident, as such you apply for your license the same as everyone else. When I talked to State Police about when I leave the state for South Carolina with the Navy, they told me as long as my HOR remains Indiana my LTCH will remain valid.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Call up ISP
    ISP: Contact Us

Explain where your home of record is, and see if they will let you run the process now, and you can carry in CO on your IN permit, and cancel the CO permit may need AZ or UT to make travel back to IN easier. The ISP will be able to tell you if you will need to follow up with the PD or SO that covers the home of record for IN. (Is it still established as your residence, like a parents house or a house you own?)

DOR has you as an IN resident, the same as someone that's lived here since the day they were born DOR: Residency status
    You are a full-year Indiana resident if you maintain your legal residence in Indiana from Jan. 1 through Dec. 31. You do not have to be physically present in Indiana the entire year to be considered a full-year resident. Residents, including military personnel, who leave Indiana for a temporary stay are considered residents during their absence. For example, visiting your out-of-state relatives for a couple of weeks each year won't impact your Indiana residency status; you're still a full-year resident.
    As does the BMV BMV: Indiana Residency Requirements
    Indiana Residency Requirements

You must be a legal resident of Indiana to obtain an Indiana driver's license, learner's permit, or identification card. Evidence of residency in Indiana includes:

• Maintaining a legal address in the State of Indiana and not claiming residency in another state
    • Being a registered voter in the State of Indiana
    A person who is enrolled as a student in a Commercial Driver License training school in Indiana and has a legal residence in another state, but is living in Indiana temporarily for the express purpose of truck driver training, is considered to be an Indiana resident.
    For the purposes of obtaining a driver's license, learner's permit, or identification card, the following persons living in Indiana solely for any of the following reasons are not considered to be residents of Indiana:

• Educational purposes
    • Active duty in the Armed Forces
    • Temporary employment

It's the process of the steps needed to attain the license, and where they mail it to and change of address forms that will be the challenge more than anything else.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Indiana does not have a non-resident license. You have to live or work in the state.

If you work in the this state but do not reside in this state you cannot get a lifetime LTCH. So there is something different about them. I understand that you have to live here or work here but if you live in another state and work in IN then would that not be a non-resident?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    If you work in the this state but do not reside in this state you cannot get a lifetime LTCH. So there is something different about them. I understand that you have to live here or work here but if you live in another state and work in IN then would that not be a non-resident?

I don't consider it to be as you have to have a close relationship (or "nexus" with a nod to Kirk) to be issued one. States with non-resident licensing systems do not normally require any close relationship to the issuing state.

Top Bottom