• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    The gun show this weekend at Stout Field will be the last one that Brian's Surplus will be set up at for the foreseeable future. Shows have been pretty slow for awhile now, but lately we have been losing money every weekend, and it's been getting worse. It also doesn't help that inflation has substantially increased our overhead. I don't mind riding out small fluctuations, but the current situation is unsustainable.

If the gun show market picks up again (and we can still get inventory), we might come back. Things could change at any time.

I really hate to quit. I know that many people like the convenience of getting ammunition and reloading supplies at gun shows, but I can't afford to operate at a loss on a regular basis.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I can understand why you are doing this. For years it has been quite disappointing for me as a buyer going to gun shows. . Paying for parking, paying to get in only to not find anything I am looking for there. When I find anything I want its stupid expensive. Its not what it used to be. For me the gun show is online anymore.

Now rarely if I do its only go to see friends.

Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I haven’t been to a gun show in 20 years.
    I’m MHO that’s when they quit being GUN shows and turned into flea markets where it’s legal to sell guns. I do however stop in Brian’s Surplus when I’m passing thru Kokomo once a month.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    We were just talking about your costs on doing shows a few months ago, I was shocked at what it costs you even to do a local show.
    I know that years ago many gun stores used to cut business hours during the summer to early fall over business being slow.
    You said you wanted to slow down. :dunno:
    See you soon my friend, please tell the Aerospace Engineer I said hello.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    We were just talking about your costs on doing shows a few months ago, I was shocked at what it costs you even to do a local show.
    I know that years ago many gun stores used to cut business hours during the summer to early fall over business being slow.
    You said you wanted to slow down. :dunno:
    See you soon my friend, please tell the Aerospace Engineer I said hello.
    During the "Trump Slump", we were only open 3 days a week at the store. If things keep up the way they have been, we might have to do that again. I really hate to change my hours though.
    I'll let him know you said hello, I'll see him on the 4th.

Robert B.

Marksman
    Oct 21, 2023
    Anderson
    The gun show this weekend at Stout Field will be the last one that Brian's Surplus will be set up at for the foreseeable future. Shows have been pretty slow for awhile now, but lately we have been losing money every weekend, and it's been getting worse. It also doesn't help that inflation has substantially increased our overhead. I don't mind riding out small fluctuations, but the current situation is unsustainable.

If the gun show market picks up again (and we can still get inventory), we might come back. Things could change at any time.

I really hate to quit. I know that many people like the convenience of getting ammunition and reloading supplies at gun shows, but I can't afford to operate at a loss on a regular basis.
    Very sorry to hear that, I've been a customer in the past, always thought your
    prices were good. Hope to see you guys again in the future.

JamesV

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Dec 13, 2015
    The Region
    Sir, sorry to hear about this but I truly understand. I hope things pick back up for you.
    We were at the C.P. show on Saturday, sweating, but you were away from the tables. Now I'll just have to make a trip down to the store.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Sir, sorry to hear about this but I truly understand. I hope things pick back up for you.
    We were at the C.P. show on Saturday, sweating, but you were away from the tables. Now I'll just have to make a trip down to the store.
    I was WAY away from the tables, I was at the store. I haven't been to a gun show for more than just a few minutes in about a year. I quit going to gun shows so I can focus more on the store (and the garden).

Top Bottom