• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    so ive been on a quest to build (or have built) and custom rifle for a few years and finally scraped up some extra cash so today i ordered a stiler predator action should be done in 3 months. this will be a short action 260 when compete. it will be a hunting rifle so im going with a #5 (light wieght varmint) contour shelin match barrel in a 1-8 twist. i plan to shoot 130 vld bullets. im ordering the barrel in the morning and im still up in the air between 26 and 24 inches. im leaning towards the 26 because i can always cut some off but you cant just weld more barrel on.

when i get the barreled action in hand ill probably buy a cheap takeoff stock for the time being. if i have the money ill go straight to a mcm stock but that may have to wait. ill probably get a rifle basics or timney trigger for it. but i still have a few months to make that decision. im just excited to have the ball rolling

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Is your Stiller Predator a single shot or repeater? It is a fine action, for sure. Way out of my price range though.

Please tell me you are saving for a good stock to put it in while you are waiting for it.

You can't put an action like that into a cheap takeoff stock. It will jump out before you can get the screws started.

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    awsome! its about time you finally "pulled the trigger" how long have you been talking about building one?:):

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Is your Stiller Predator a single shot or repeater? It is a fine action, for sure. Way out of my price range though.

Please tell me you are saving for a good stock to put it in while you are waiting for it.

You can't put an action like that into a cheap takeoff stock. It will jump out before you can get the screws started.

its a repeater action. i haven't decided on the floor plate or adl style yet but im sure i will

im hopping i can get a good stock right away, but if not there is no chance i can leave this barreled action in the safe without playing with it. i may have to break out the pocket knife and do some whitling but im shooting it in the first few days.

NealWright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    Sounds cool ... I just bought a Savage F'Class. Are you competing at National Trails ... or Farmland. Brother's been to Liberty (National Trails) a number of times, and I just went to Farmland last weekend.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Sounds cool ... I just bought a Savage F'Class. Are you competing at National Trails ... or Farmland. Brother's been to Liberty (National Trails) a number of times, and I just went to Farmland last weekend.

i will be if i get some more info. i didn't know there were comps around that area. a link or any kind of info would be greatly appriciated. this gun will not be set up for competition but my other 260 is ready to rock

NealWright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    You asked for more info ... so I figured I'd post here. I'm not a member at either, but it's always been good fun.

Farmland Conservation is just outside of Winchester, IN. I've just started attending their 300yd "varmint" match, where they also do 100yd centerfire and rimfire benchrest. They do 1X/month. It was a lot of fun, and the people were great. I've gone to their fall "Old Timer's" shoot for probably 30yrs now! Here's a link to Farmland, look on their calendar. The next varmint is Saturday June12.

Farmland Conservation Club Calendar of Events

Old Trails (outside of Liberty, IN) is what I meant ... not National Trails, that's the school. They have a 300yd "varmint" match 1X/month. I haven't been in a couple years, but my brother was going pretty regular last year. Their match is this Saturday, but I won't be there. Here's a link to their site:

Calendar

Both are excellent places. I can vouch for that. 100% grudge matches ... no national anything, no money, pretty good shooters though. Last week, there was a guy that shot 15/15 10's ... 11 of those were X's (literally, he shot the center of the X). That was at 100yds, and the X'ring is about the size of a dime.

Anyhow, "south of Richmond" hopefully I can catch up with you sometime ... as I'm just "north of Richmond" ... plus I've got another '69SS sitting in the barn (another time).

Take care, Neal

NealWright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    Oh, BTW ... don't worry about anything fancy. I just picked up the F'Class ... which is well beyond my capabilities. My brother shoots a Ruger VT. And, his friend has an Encore. There will be guys there with expensive set ups, but there are plenty with average guns too. Take care, Neal

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    if you were to take one glance at this book you would understand i am years away from it being finished to the point of needing to decide a caliber, BUT i am thinking a 6.5x284 super heavy varmint barrel.... who knows.... its a VERY complicated piece.

defintally stick with 6.5 then we can split bigger lots of bullets. between me you and zbornacsvt we can save some cash

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Will you learn to spell my name? I'll get it beat into your head next weekend....

Anyone up for some 123 scenars?:dunno:

i was talking about somone else.:rolleyes: i swear its now that i just cant spell. ive got some 123 scenars i have not tried yet. if i ever do the 100yd comps that i just found out about i may see how my gun likes them

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom