• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Lafayette
    So here's my question, I just order a Bergara B14 HMR chambered in .308 and now I am searching for an optic around the $500 price point. I know a few things that I want. I want a 30mm tube, 600 reachability and 50mm objective. Ive been looking at the Vortex HST and it seems to have all I need I think but wanted to ask before I spent the money. On top of that whats the difference in the MOA and MRAD reticle and whats the benefit and draw back to both. PLEASE HELP

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Buy this (Natchez has 10% off coupons almost all the time). Best ~$500 optic available for a 308 used out to 600 Yards. Low Japan made FFP and Mil/Mil. Excellent glass and tracking is spot on.

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-su...llum-enhanced-mil-dot-reticle-emdr-matte.html

Only reason not to buy this is if you're trying to punch tiny groups in paper and want higher magnification. But for a practical 308, this is perfect.

Yak9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Buy this (Natchez has 10% off coupons almost all the time). Best ~$500 optic available for a 308 used out to 600 Yards. Low Japan made FFP and Mil/Mil. Excellent glass and tracking is spot on.

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-su...llum-enhanced-mil-dot-reticle-emdr-matte.html

Only reason not to buy this is if you're trying to punch tiny groups in paper and want higher magnification. But for a practical 308, this is perfect.
    I originally clicked on this thread to recommend the same optic.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Are you pricing rings into that 500? I just shopped for a scope for my 260rem. I ended up spending a lot more than 500, but would highly recommend this https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42m-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html. it is a 30mm tube with a 44mm rather than 50mm. I will put money on it that it will transfer as much light as a $500 adjustable scope. I handled these in the swfa store and side by side they slaughtered mid range optics in clarity and feel. This also leaves the $100 for a nice set of rings.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    So here's my question, I just order a Bergara B14 HMR chambered in .308 and now I am searching for an optic around the $500 price point. I know a few things that I want. I want a 30mm tube, 600 reachability and 50mm objective. Ive been looking at the Vortex HST and it seems to have all I need I think but wanted to ask before I spent the money. On top of that whats the difference in the MOA and MRAD reticle and whats the benefit and draw back to both. PLEASE HELP

The HST would fit the bill nicely. Other scopes out there would, too.

Assuming a decent rail and rings that keeps the scope centered up in its travel at your initial, 40 moa of total elevation travel should get you to 600 (roughly 14 moa up from a 100 yard zero for a .308. 50 or 60 moa travel would be better, and a 20 moa rail helps if that's a concern.

MIL/MRAD and MOA are just two different ways of measuring adjustments for your scope/reticle. You can think of it like imperial vs. metric. Generally MOA scopes will have a slightly finer adjustment than MRAD scopes. Most shooters outside of the military or precision rifle competitions talk in MOA. 1 moa is basically 1 inch at 100 yards. 2 inches at 200 yards, etc.

MOA would be my recommendation unless you have a good reason to go MIL/MRAD.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana

You didn’t mention intended usage. Hunting, F Class competition, long range varmint or . . . . . ? I just purchased a tactical Vortex 6-24x50 with an MOA lighted reticle. It will sit on top of a Savage T10 with a factory supplied 20 MOA Picatinny rail. The scope was on sale at $600 with $300 off at Cabelas. Good/great rings can be had for $100. Not sure about bases since I didn’t need them and didn’t do any research. You may not need the 20MOA Picatinny rail if you don’t plan to shoot out further than, say, 600 yards. I would certainly opt for the 50mm objective - but most important is light gathering capability although that is not critical unless using for hunting and then necessary at dawn and dusk.

The explanation of MOA vs MILDOT was explained well enough above. You can use either one for windage and elevation corrections. Just depends on your preference.

Vortex gets good reviews and they provide a no questions asked lifetime warranty. They have excellent glass for the money. I would investigate the etched reticle feature - and try to make sure the reticle has the first focal plane (FFP) feature.

Good luck with your search.

Fossil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2015
    Fishers
    Take a look at Athlon Optics. I have one and feel you get a lot of scope for the price. Several places sell them online. All for the same price. As far as MOA, use this if you see things in feet and yards. Use MRAD if you see things in meters (metric system)

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I would recommend trying to stick with FFP if you can. I have seen a lot of the gen 1 vortex viper pst 6-24 going around the $500 range. You're going to get zero stop (with shims), illuminated reticle, and ffp. Not to mention 6-24 is more than plenty for the distance you are shooting. When you shoot to distance you'll not want the magnification more than 18x because of mirage. However with a 6-24 magnification range (or anything above 18), you can dial up to 18 magnification and have a more clear picture since you arent maxing out the magnification. Hope this helps. I prefer MRAD and thats just a personal preference.

Top Bottom