• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone try this brand, caliber, or company? This is a great price, half of Sportman Guide, but if it sounds too good to be true . . .

Planning on testing an M1 Carbine. Opinions on that ammo in that rifle?

:popcorn:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Running steel case in firearms not designed for it is a good way to break extractors, wear feed ramps, and generally isn't good for something that is getting to be collectible.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I had an IMI repro 30 M1 carbine, actually 2 of them. I started shooting the Wolf steel cased 30 carb ammo in them as soon as it arrived in country. It was the first caliber made with the poly coating in place of lacquer. I can't speak to long term high volume use but I did shoot 2500 rds thru one of mine and 4-500 in the other with no ill effects. Both guns functioned w/ 0 issues as far as feed, fire, eject as well.

Last edited:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Running steel case in firearms not designed for it is a good way to break extractors, wear feed ramps, and generally isn't good for something that is getting to be collectible.

If your firearm parts are made of steel that is softer than the steel cases of Tula, you're going to have problems from anything you shoot due to the high pressure that a round puts out. In other words, you're believing various internet rumors from people who are too ignorant to actually shoot steel cased ammo, because the steel your firearm is made out of is harder than the soft steel of the case. Therefore, no, it will not break extractors, wear feed ramps, etc.

Anyone try this brand, caliber, or company? This is a great price, half of Sportman Guide, but if it sounds too good to be true . . .

Planning on testing an M1 Carbine. Opinions on that ammo in that rifle?

:popcorn:

If the gun will run it, then run it. There's no reason not to unless you are looking for accuracy. Buy a box at walmart for $5 to test out if your firearm functions with it, if it does, then move on to buy it in bulk. :yesway:

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Where do people get the idea that steel case ammo breaks extractors? In order for that to happen the extrator steel would have to be made of a softer or weaker metal than the steel case it is extracting. If that is the case then the extractor in the firearm was junk to start with. The same goes with wearing out feed ramps.

The only issue with steel case is it will not seal the chamber like brass will and thus you get some blowback into the receiver and your firearm gets a little more dirty.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I don't have experience with the rifle ammo, but I've put thousands of rounds of the Tula 9mm through my Glock 19 with no issues. It's a little dirty, but it runs fine.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Zero experience with their .30 Carbine ammo...

But I've shot a few thousand rounds of 9mm. And have another 1k in reserve.

If it's the lacquer-coated stuff - it MAY give extraction issues due to lacquer build-up over a prolonged shooting session. I had a 9mm case get stuck in my M&P during a training class. Had to tap the case out from the muzzle end. I suspect it was the case of a round chambered while the chamber was hot...then it cooled sufficiently to allow the lacquer build-up to solidify and hold on to the case. Tap/Rack didn't clear that one!

In general, steel ammo will often cause a firearm to get dirtier more quickly due to it's different-than-brass expansion/contraction properties while firing. (IE not expanding as fully as brass might thereby possibly allowing a tad more "blow back" into the chamber upon firing)

Last edited:

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I've shot thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo through my dept issued m16. I've never had an issue at all. Clean your gun when you're done and shoot away.

Hawkwind2112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2014
    Evansville
    If the gun will run it, then run it. There's no reason not to unless you are looking for accuracy. Buy a box at walmart for $5 to test out if your firearm functions with it, if it does, then move on to buy it in bulk. :yesway:

I would agree 100% with the statement above. I have shot plenty of steel cased Tula ammo in various firearms and have had no problems.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Ive used 9mm, .45acp, .308, & .223 with zero issues other than it is a little dirtier, but if you're cleaning after every outting you'll be fine imho. I've run well over 5k rounds of those various calibers and will continue to do so

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This isn't a modern gun we are talking about.

The cartridge is on the small side for gas operation in the first place anyway. Add dirty steel ammo.

Some carbines have enough trouble with the dirty brass Aguila ammo.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    This isn't a modern gun we are talking about.

The cartridge is on the small side for gas operation in the first place anyway. Add dirty steel ammo.

Some carbines have enough trouble with the dirty brass Aguila ammo.

Have you shot any thru an M1 carbine? If so what make, original USGI or repro? I can't speak to wartime guns but my IMI pair liked it just fine.

The USGI steel cased 30 M1 carbine ammo I understand had a zinc coating , never have shot any of it tho'. The only Russian imports (Wolf/Tula) I'm aware of have poly coat.

yhst-24947587498613_2340_153065229

Last edited:

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    It is dirty, but it goes bang. I think the 45 are mild at best. The 9's are a little hot. I've heard many good things about the match 22's over and over but never bought them. But all the commblock ammo runs like a well oiled machine in my commblock guns. Oh and don't waste your money on hp, they don't mushroom well IMHO.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I have used the 9 with no issues through a P95. Some rounds seem hotter than others and some shott a little fire and embers downrange but......iz ekonoMikal and iz Russian. Brutally efficient.......YMMV

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks to all for your input.

I am working with a USGI M1 Carbine. Inland receiver. Underwood barrel. Replaced stock, just not sure when. It is a solid rifle in great shape. Clearly a mixmaster, but it is all USGI.

I I do not want to damage a valuable rifle, but Tula is going for $0.28 while others are over $0.50 per round. Seems it might be worth running a few rounds through it to check it out.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom