• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mirrorblue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2012
    South Bend
    I'm considering buying a new Taurus PT 92.

I've done a lot of on-line research on this gun - and some love and some loath it. In general most like it a lot.

I have rented the Beretta and I like it a lot - and of course there is a considerable price differential between Beretta and Taurus.

I'd be interested in your experiences with the Taurus 92.

Thanks for any information you share,

JG

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a PT99 which is real close to the 92. I wouldn't get rid of it for any price.

17 round capacity, accurate, and reliable.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The Taurus is made by the machines they bought from Beretta when Beretta upgraded.
    My 92 is the 1st pistol I bought, back in the 1990s.
    Still reliable.
    Friend had one that broke. They fixed it. And I wonder if it broke because of reassembly after cleaning.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    The Taurus is made by the machines they bought from Beretta when Beretta upgraded.
    My 92 is the 1st pistol I bought, back in the 1990s.
    Still reliable.

Same. Well, about the third pistol that I bought. Still dead nuts reliable and accurate. 17 round magazines available (though mine is so old it came with 15 rounders) and able to use almost all Beretta accessories (except magazines).

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    The PT92 is a great pistol and very well made. If you find one at a decent price and it's in good condition, it would be worth it to buy it and try it for yourself. Beretta had a contract to make arms for the Brazilian government and set up a manufacturing plant in which the 92 was made. When the contract was not renewed, Beretta sold the plant, tooling and intellectual property and the PT92 continued to be made with Beretta trained employees.

It's a full size pistol and heavy, so keep that in mind. It has the usual maintenance requirements of an all steel pistol with relatively tight tolerances, in other words, keep it clean......

I prefer the 92 to the newer Beretta because the safety is mounted on the frame of the Taurus, which I consider essential, however, that's just an opinion.

I had one and shot it consistently low and to the left, but it was a really tight group. Taurus has a lifetime warranty which is a plus, but there is very little chance you'll have to use it with the 92.

That's about it, if you can find one used, that would be sweet as they are typically quite a bit cheaper in the used market.

If you are looking for a high cap 9mm and it doesn't have to be steel, well, you know where that conversation is going. :)

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I have shot multiple copies of both the Beretta and Taurus, and can see no difference in build quality, action, or accuracy, but I prefer the frame mounted safety. I bought one of the Taurus 92s over 10 years ago, have put 1000s of rounds through it and still shoot it regularly. It is probably my "if I could only have one gun" gun.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I have a PT92 bi tone. One of my favorite pistols. Keep in mind like stated before it is an all steel pistol, which is good for balance and target aquisition on fast firing. Just my opinion. Not the greates CC gun but i do carry mine in the winter when i have a sweatshirt or jacket/coat on. Very reliable, eats any ammo u give it and very accurate. i really have nothing bad to say about it. Like stated before safety if frame mounted which i find more comfortable and easier to manipulate the safety on/off because i have smaller hands. also has teh decocker mechanism which i also like. if you like the beretta design but not the beretta price tag, like i do, then the taurus is a great bang for your buck gun.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I've had several Taurus 92's and a 100. Not an issue with any of them. I sold them all and would love to get one like the first one I had. I've also owned a Beretta. I rather have the Taurus, due to the frame mounted safety.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Buy the Taurus 92 with confidence and enjoy a fine firearm.

I owned a Taurus PT-92 and and shot my dads old Beretta 92, the Taurus was by a wide margin better than the Beretta 92 on many points, and it shot way better out of the box than the Beretta.

Buy the Taurus PT-92 and used that saved money to invest in a good box of JHP's and pratice rounds.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I have been looking to buy a Beretta 92FS Inox, but it seems that either due to the election or some other event they have suddenly become a very hard to find item. So, I've been considering the PT92. I've heard good and bad on both. As far as the Beretta, the top complaints I've found are that some (I can't get an answer on the Inox) have a plastic guide rod, plus it appears that the furniture on the Inoxes are black.

With the Taurus I've heard that the fit and finish is of lower quality and it shows. I've also read that their stainless steel finish is not very durable and scratches easily.

I haven't had a chance to handle the Taurus, but I was very impressed with the Beretta. I should also note that most of what I've seen about the Taurus and Beretta was from other forums online, but I'd rather get the opinions of people whom I might actually run into on the range.

bfaves

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    imop i have never had luck with any taurus firearm or there customer service i had a 40pro blow up in my hand .. well the frame split wide open and they didnt replace the frame. not that i wanted another one just my :twocents:

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I had a PT 92 a few years ago, which I sold and bought something else. It was a great pistol, and one I should have kept. I will probably run in to another one to replace it.

Dave

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I own a Beretta 92fs and almost bought a few PT92's, but the finish turned me off every time. I believe they shoot great and are good guns, but they are not as aesthetically pleasing, or at least they don't age as gracefully. The other thing that concerned me was that the version with adjustable rear sites (PT92AF?) has a lot of reported problems with the sites coming loose, so I would try and avoid those, but I will probably still snag a regular one some day.

At the <$300 price the Ruger P95 is also a great performer.

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    i usually go shooting with my dad and uncles and cousins and towards the end of the shoot we have a five shot contest using the targeting rings to calculate points. winner picks the beer and lowest scoring shooter buys. ive got more than a couple handguns but i always use my PT92AFS and it rarely lets me down. i love this gun. if you get a good price id say go for it man. btw i paid about 350 for mine. great buy

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    I've had a 92cs (compact stainless) for a few years. Stout & solid little bugger and shoots well.
    IMGP0958.jpg

Top Bottom