• 5.56/6mm

Results are only viewable after voting.

aporter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I am getting ready to purchase my first suppressor/s. I have the following weapons.
    -Colt 6920 - Primary
    -FX-9 8" 9mm PCC - Secondary
    -Ruger American 7.62x39 -Hunting
    -WASR-10 7.62x39 - Shot rarely
    -Ruger Bull Barrel 22LR - Plinking and small game

I was going to go with the Dead Air Nomad 30 for both the 7.62 and 5.56mm. I don't know how much the 30cal suppressor will effect the 5.56 as far a sound. Or, I can go with a dead air Lazarus 6 for a dedicated 5.56. I was thinking of a SIG SRD9 for the FX-9 8" PCC, and I was thinking the Dead Air Mask for the 22lr. I am not looking for any specific brand but I am shopping based off of costs and availability.

Will a 30cal suppressor on a AR create a significant sound increase?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    We have two Surefire Socoms, one in 5.56 and the other in 30 caliber.
    I bought the 30 caliber as to use it on 5.56 also, Its noticeably louder when used on 5.56 rifles.
    The next round of paperwork we do I will order another one in 5.56

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'm no expert. I don't know if you'll hear the difference between a 556 dedicated and a 30 cal on an AR. I generally buy supresssors that will work on multiple.
    My first was a hybrid (45 cal). I used it on 450 bushmaster and 30-30 rifles. I also played around with it on a glock 22. Later on I've found good deals on the Q Trashpanda and a lesser known (now defunct) AK can. Both are decent for the money. I use the Q on AR platforms for both 556 and 762x39.
    I also got a dedicated rimfire. The one thing I'd recommend, based on a few people, is not to use a rifle can on a rimfire because of the dirty ammo.
    Talk to Whitetail trading before you buy anything. @Aszerigan on here.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I used the 30 cal can that I bought for my 6.5 Grendel AR on a 5.56 AR before my 5.56 can came in. It might have been a bit louder than the 5.56 can, but without measuring devices you really couldn't tell. 5.56 is still supersonic so it isn't exactly quiet anyway, you still need ear protection.

I started out with my Dead Air Mask because .22's suppressed are just awesome to shoot.
    Next I bought my .30 cal can (TSC .308 Hunter) because I could use it on my 6.5 Grendel AR, my 5.56 AR, and my 6.5 CM
    I finally bout my YHM Turbo T2 for a dedicated 5.56 can for less switching between guns.

The only guarantee with suppressors is that you will buy more than 1.

aporter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I used the 30 cal can that I bought for my 6.5 Grendel AR on a 5.56 AR before my 5.56 can came in. It might have been a bit louder than the 5.56 can, but without measuring devices you really couldn't tell. 5.56 is still supersonic so it isn't exactly quiet anyway, you still need ear protection.

I started out with my Dead Air Mask because .22's suppressed are just awesome to shoot.
    Next I bought my .30 cal can (TSC .308 Hunter) because I could use it on my 6.5 Grendel AR, my 5.56 AR, and my 6.5 CM
    I finally bout my YHM Turbo T2 for a dedicated 5.56 can for less switching between guns.

The only guarantee with suppressors is that you will buy more than 1.
    Thanks, I have about $2k to play with. I am trying to get the best bang for the buck while covering the most platforms. The other issue is availability of the suppressors. Inventory seems to be lite right now.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Thanks, I have about $2k to play with. I am trying to get the best bang for the buck while covering the most platforms. The other issue is availability of the suppressors. Inventory seems to be lite right now.
    I very recently went through this for my first centerfire suppressors. As mentioned, I contacted Andrew at Whitetail Trading, @Aszerigan. After I gave him a rough budget and a list of my available hosts in .30 cal and 9mm, his recommendations for ME were a Rugged Surge X (.30 cal with an added .224 end cap for use on 5.56) and a Rugged Obsidian 9. One or both may have been on sale at the time but the total for the two, with added end cap, NFA stamps and state tax, was just over $2,000.

From e-file to approval was 5 business days. Another week or so and they were delivered to my door. Can't recommend him enough.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    With that in mind get the 30 cal. I've used my Omega on my 5.56, and it did a decent job. None of the 5.56 or 7.62 is going to be quiet, but you might get hearing safe in the open.

The .22 is a must have. Shooting 22 suppressed brings a smile to everyone's face. The 9mm will be the next most effective.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Hi @aporter, I'm Andrew from Whitetail. I've read your host list, and I'll toss out some suggestions below:

There are two major factors (aside from length and number of baffles) when deciding which 30cal can to put on an AR. The front aperture diameter (the exit hole) is the first and the width of the can is the second. Choosing a suppressor with interchangeable front caps solves the first problem. As for the second, the wider the can, the lower the tone of the shot, making it more pleasant to listen to. The amount of gas produced by a 30cal round is (obviously) higher than a 224cal, so it needs more internal volume to dissipate it. Shooting 556 rounds through a 30cal is much nicer to listen to (and often more quiet) than a 556 can assuming you buy the end cap to match.

For your 22can, the Dead Air is a great can. If you're trying to stick within a $2k budget, look at the Silencerco Sparrow 22 also. Currently on sale, it will cost you as much with the stamp as the Dead Air by itself. It's a great can, has a slight first round pop, but it's not a big deal considering the cost savings.

For a 9mm can, if you're just putting it on a PCC, you don't need a piston. Look at the AB F4 and CGS Mod9. Either are great cans, the F4 is lighter and wider, and CGS is longer and user serviceable. You can add a piston to either one later but the AB is too wide to comfortably use on a pistol.

And for the 30cal, staying on budget, you can't beat the Nomad 30. Interchangeable front caps, stainless to keep the cost down and has a ton of different mount options. It's also rated up to a 300 Norma Mag if you're a recoil junkie. Also, the Huxwrx Ventum 762 is worth looking at. Whichever 30cal suppressor you decide to go with, you'll need to get a rear cap to fit your 556, unless you go with a Q Thunder Chicken which comes with them. If you decide to go with the Lazarus later on, we can do that too. Those are spectacular cans but can get spendy after the stamp.

One note: For the WASR, have someone check the concentricity of your threads. Many WASR barrels are slightly off-threaded which can become a very costly issue down the road.

I know this is lots of info, so I'll follow up with a PM. Feel free to reply if you have more questions, and thanks !

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Might rustle some jimmies but after DA fiasco with the Sierra 5 I'd stay away. They were starting to be shady before that happened
    That was an issue for sure. The new versions are much safer *cough* and they're upping their CS and repair games too. No doubt permanently put a bad taste in a lot of mouths, and rightfully so.

I've seen a couple cans shipped back, repaired and returned within a week. That's the good side of it. The downside it user pays shipping. I won't go to bat for DA, but I shoot their stuff myself and I like it. No jimmies ruffled.

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I am unfamiliar. I will have to look into it.
    Chances are if you buy a legacy can you'll get a good product. IMO, their cans aren't that much better if at all than many others. There's most certainly a metric ton more competition in that niche segment of the firearms industry now. In the moment of DA's peak, it seemed as though they were the best that could be had. But in reality after time passes and you step back and look at the time period again you realize a lot of it was just great marketing and a cult following. It's happened over the decades with all those suppressor companies. AAC, Surefire and Silencerco

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I'm a fan of Silencerco. They have some of the lightest cans out there.
    Some may remember peak Silencerco. When they had a new product launch, such as the Salvo, they'd rent a yacht and take all their guns, products, fireworks, hookers and blow and celebrate. Then post the videos as their marketing. Lol

wildcatfan

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 18, 2021
    Muncie
    I am getting ready to purchase my first suppressor/s. I have the following weapons.
    -Colt 6920 - Primary

I was going to go with the Dead Air Nomad 30 for both the 7.62 and 5.56mm. I don't know how much the 30cal suppressor will effect the 5.56 as far a sound. Or, I can go with a dead air Lazarus 6 for a dedicated 5.56. I was thinking of a SIG SRD9 for the FX-9 8" PCC, and I was thinking the Dead Air Mask for the 22lr. I am not looking for any specific brand but I am shopping based off of costs and availability.

A 36 caliber can would work pretty well for the 9mm and the 7.62x39 stuff. I have a Silencerco 36m and it works ok. Very durable but heavy. The newer 3d printed ones are a lot better than the older technology. My favorites are the CAT ODB which works well on 5.56 along with the 30 cal stuff and my CAT MOB for 9mm pcc's and pistols I guess. Those are pushing the budget but I have an OCL Polonium k for 5.56 that I like better than my RC2 and it cost less than half. The 22 stuff is the most fun and they're kind of similar. The Sico sparrow is ok other than a noticeable first round pop. I also have a Mercy Pluto which is made in Greenwood I think and it's considerably better for another $100.

JDHOOSIER73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Greenwood
    -Colt 6920 - Primary

I have a griffin optimus and it has 30 cal end cap and a 22 end cap. You can shoot 22 to magnum cartridges with it. That only downside is it's a little heavy in its long config. I also have a hux ventum and it's a little noisier and a little lighter but low back pressure. You can hear the difference but it's nothing to write home about. Between the 2 it covers about anything I need.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I went .30 cal. It was my first, so I could use it on anything from .30 on down. It's been on my 5.56 ARs, my .243, 7mm Mauser... One can for everything right?

Well, then I got a .22lr can, then a 9mm...

I guess next it will be a dedicated 5.56, but I got the most use out of one I can use on multiple calibers.

LokhXIV

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    I got a Nomad 30 for my first one so I can use it across most of my firearms. I'll be adding more suppressors for specific hosts as time goes on, but getting the most usage for the first one seemed like the best bet. I just got recently got my approval so right now I'm waiting out the 7 day period and hoping Andy can ship it out sometime soon. I'm guessing I should have it next week. I'm definitely getting excited lol

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I've always guided new suppressor owners towards a 30 cal can for their first. It captures most everything centerfire that's popular without giving up much suppression..308, .284, .264, .243/6mm, .223, .204, etc. Yes, dedicated cans will be the best but the versatility is worth every ounce over the small loss of db's. Then buy not one but 2 or 3 dedicated 22lr cans. The MKIV, Buckmark, Victory and other pistols are too much fun suppressed and are easy to come by and so are the rifles. Just about every popular 22lr rifle comes with a threaded barrel. It's good to have a couple or 3 22lr cans for a day of exclusive 22lr shooting. Those cans get hot. The only time I uses pistol suppressors is on 9mm PCCs.

Top Bottom