• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ph2o

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Auburn area
    I've been kicking around the idea of buying a new full size 1911. I would really like an Ed Brown Kobra but the price has me scared off. I saw a Springfield PX9154 that really caught my eye. I've seen varying opinions on Springfields so what is yours?

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Loaded...great gun and good shooter...just had some work done to it...had the MIM parts removed and trigger job...it is as accurate as I can shoot it.

Removing the MIM parts was an optional move on my part and for regular use may not be necessary but since I had it in the shop decided to go for it.

I would buy another Springfield tomorrow....

I have a Les Baer but shoot the SA more just because I am less concerned about abusing the SA.because it was less $$$

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hondo - The one I looked @ tonight had a pretty good stock trigger. I hope that is normal for these guns.

My trigger was good but I wanted it "crisper" with as little over travel as possible...I had the Baer done too. It was #4 out of the box I had it tuned and taken to #3.5

Bottom line the stock trigger is good....I have 5 1911's and I have them all set as close to being the same as possible at #3.5...just my personal preference

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    I have a lightweight commander and love it. My XD is one of my favorites. Their lifetime warranty is exactly that too. Even includes free shipping both ways. They take care of their customers. I would not hesitate to buy one of their products. If it "fits" you I'd go for it.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have a lightweight commander and love it. My XD is one of my favorites. Their lifetime warranty is exactly that too. Even includes free shipping both ways. They take care of their customers. I would not hesitate to buy one of their products. If it "fits" you I'd go for it.

My XD has a finish issue and they told me I could send it in now or WAAAY down the road......... SWEET.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I owned a Stainless Springfield Loaded, but wish I would have purchased an STI Trojan instead. Springfield uses a different radius on their beavertails too; so you're limited on choices if you ever want to replace it (probably not a big deal). All in all, it's a Springfield is a solid choice, but I think you can get a slightly better quality gun (tighter slide to frame fit) if you choose went with an STI Trojan for ~$920.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I'm up to 4 Springfields and I'm trying to get another one bought.

They're good stuff, just beware of the MIM extractor. They can lose tension and start giving you problems. When you re-tension them, they don't hold it as long as barstock.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a full size Springfield 1911 and do like it, but don't think it's the best value for the dollar. I have 3 1911s at the moment, an RIA Compact, Springfield full size Mil-Spec-ish and Kimber Ultra Carry. The Springfield is the only one that has ever given me trouble, but since doing a spring kit, it's been fine. It's accurate and reliable and feels good in the hand. I put a Wilson Combat trigger on it and I'm very happy with the trigger now.

The best 1911 value for me was the RIA Compact. I'm more accurate with that at 7 yards than I am with the full size Springfield, but the Springer is better at 15 yards and longer. I don't think you can go too far wrong with a Springfield 1911.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Springfield's are generally good guns. Lots of parts made in Brazil. Lower priced, good value.

My recommendation would be to go shoot one and decide if it is right for you.

Good Luck.

trad78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Griffith
    Got a S.A. 1911 GI. Love it! Can't go wrong. BUT, if you have any doubts, shoot one before you buy, we're not all made out of money.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Probably the best 1911's on the market right now that aren't coming out of a semi-custom/custom shop. If you do want to get custom work done, they are among the best platforms for custom work. Their steel and quality are outstanding. SA's and Colt's are generally the platforms of choice for most high-end custom builds.

If you have the money, look into the TRP from Springfield. At this point in the SA product line their pistols are really a cut above the competition. It's about as good as you'll get with hand fitted slide to frame, extractor, ejector, barrel and bushing. For the money, it's unbeatable.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Presently, I'm down to two, both stainless "Loaded" models: A Champion and a full-sized 1911A1.

IMO, both have given me excellent value and exceptional service. I took the Champion for the 5-day Defensive Pistol I course at the Chapman Academy several years back. Went through 2300 rds of 230 gr. ball ammo in five days with no issues or malfs other than those set up for training drills. It always ran and hit where I pointed it. Hard to fault that kind of performance from a mid-priced 1911, to my mind.

I have other, more expensive 1911's but that Champion is still my first choice for my everyday CCW.

Top Bottom