Opinions: 1911 9mm Springfield or Colt ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • soljah777

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would like to add a 9mm 1911 to my collection and would like to find out which is better for the money from the experts out there. In my price range are the Springfield loaded 1911 9mm or a older Colt 1911 9mm 70's series. The purpose for these would be for target shooting. If you shot or own either of these 1911's please let me know your opinion. I am also open to suggestions on other brands if they are in the $1000-1200 range.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I'm a Colt fan through and through. 70 Series 9mms are kinda hard to find and expensive if you do find one. Have you looked at Kimber? They make a pretty nice gun for the money. I've never owned a SA but some folks like em.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    If you know where a Colt Series 70 in 9mm is, and the price is reasonable, you better buy it. Around here, you wouldn't get a second look at one.

The only 9mm Colt makes now is the newly released New Agent in 9mm.

soljah777

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I already have several Colt 1911's in 45 and am wanting something different and in a full size frame. The Colt is definetly harder to find but does not have all the custom features the Springfield has. I am not planning on customizing the gun and only want a good shooter that will hold its value. I have never owned a Springfield 1911 but I know they are gtg. One is a classic and one is new. I just dont know which to choose.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I've shot the EMP, and it is really nice. I've never shot a Colt in 9mm. I have a Para LTC in 9mm that is a really nice shooter. The finish doesn't seem to hold up very well, but it's just a range gun, so I don't care. And I have less than $700 in it.

Dough Boy 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Hammond, IN
    I love my Colt. Plan on buy another soon. I have a Springfield that is a nice gun but not at fun to shoot IMHO. And I tend to agree that "1911=45" but one in 9mm would be nice to own due to the current price of ammo.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    The Springfield will hold it's value well because they just don't make many of the 9mm Loaded's.

It would be a good choice for a shooter.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Get a Colt 1911 in .45

The Colts are GREAT weapons. I have owned MANY 1911s, and the Colts are definitely my favorite!

Also, get the .45. 9mm is fine, but the 1911 was designed for the .45, and that's what you should get if you're wanting a 1911.

Vanguard.45

Revopop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Evansville, the Shallow South
    I tend to think you get more for your money with a Springfield over a Colt. If you find a Colt that's in your price range and it has all the features you want, go for it. A 9mm Springfield will hold it's value better than other Springfields will, but a Colt will hold it's value better than anything that's not a machine gun. It may well even appreciate in value.

My major beef with Colt is that they don't include some features that everybody else does. A lot of Colts don't have a properly fitted beavertail grip safety, it's either GI style or that stupid duckbill thing they put on the XSEs, and if you want to put in an Ed Brown style grip safety you have to get the frame cut which usually means you have to get it refinished. Also, a lot of Colts have a staked on front sight, which means that if you want to change it to a night sight or fiber optic, you've gotta get a dovetail cut in the slide, which will usually also require a refinish. The only Colts that have night sights from the factory are special runs for Talo, Lew Horton, or other distributors, that're harder to find and more expensive. I've got a Colt CCO, and one of the reasons I got it was that it already had a good beavertail grip safety installed from the factory, and standard dovetails for the sights.

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Springfield is putting out the nicest production 1911 right now. Kimbers are overpriced for their fit/finsh IMHO.

Springfield does give you a lot for your money, but I would not say that Kimber is overpriced for the fit/finish, especially compared back to Colt. Also, Para Ordinance make a very good 1911 that may even save you a few dollars.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom