• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigg Dogg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    NE IN
    Recently went to DMV to renew license. Left with old licence and slip of paper. Was told that a new card would come by mail. What's so new about the license that It can not be generated at the local DMV?

TheLoneRaider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Phoenix
    To check to see you are who you say you are. After all the checks they make it and mail it. California does it and it is proven it doesnt work. people still have multiple DL that are real not fake DL.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    It's part of the Secure ID system now.

You're license will be mailed to you after the facial recognition database has a chance to input your newest photograph into the system. The new license is made in Indianapolis and mailed to you within 7-10 business days.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    It's part of the Secure ID system now.

You're license will be mailed to you after the facial recognition database has a chance to input your newest photograph into the system. The new license is made in Indianapolis and mailed to you within 7-10 business days.

But why would they have to hold your license to do this? Does the DMV delete your pic once the license is made?

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    Real ID Act is garbage.

I was mailed a notice that my DL was to be renewed within the year and it came with a Real ID postcard that kind of 'promoted' the idea that read "Big Changes in 2010!" in large font at the top. I went on to read in the letter that it'd be implemented in 2010 and stupid reasons why I and everyone else should have one (to fight terrorism, of course! :rolleyes:). Finally, at the end, there was a paragraph that said I could opt. out of getting one by providing more documentation and that it'd come with provisions, such as not being able to board an airplane or enter Federal buildings in the future.

I don't care. I've never flown and don't ever plan to.
    Federal buildings? Meh.

Guess my new picture will still be in the database, but oh well, I guess.. What can one do about that?

fpdcop

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Madison County
    I think it is all a bunch of crap the way the State (BMV) does all this verification for a DL now. You want to really throw a loop in the system! When you go to get a new DL tell them you can't have your picture on it due to your religion. Then you new DL picture area will just say picture exempt!:cool:

xamsx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NW
    I think it is all a bunch of crap the way the State (BMV) does all this verification for a DL now. You want to really throw a loop in the system! When you go to get a new DL tell them you can't have your picture on it due to your religion. Then you new DL picture area will just say picture exempt!:cool:
    Really? Excuse my ignorance, but what religion(s) forbid pictures being taken of you? Is the 'picture exempt' really an open option to these people?

fpdcop

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Madison County
    Yep! Sounds crazy but I seen it first hand. Not sure what religion the person was claiming but their license had no picture and did say photo exempt. Kinda put a hampering on subject identification...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    But why would they have to hold your license to do this? Does the DMV delete your pic once the license is made?
    No, the photo is not deleted. The newest photo taken is compared to what is already on file (stored in the database in Indy) to look for any differences in facial features. When no gross differences are found, the license is processed (printed and made) and then sent to you in the mail.

Real ID Act is garbage.

[snip]

Finally, at the end, there was a paragraph that said I could opt. out of getting one by providing more documentation and that it'd come with provisions, such as not being able to board an airplane or enter Federal buildings in the future.

I don't care. I've never flown and don't ever plan to.
    Federal buildings? Meh.
    Almost correct. The Secure ID, the one that allows entrance into Federal buildings and such, requires more documentation that if you "opt out" and request an ID that will not allow you into Federal buildings and such.

You can opt out and then choose to "opt in" at any time, just bringing along the required documents to get the Secure ID and paying for a new license.

Yep, you can do that... with a letter from your Bishop (if you're Amish) or Pastor of your church stating that it is against your religion to have your photo taken.

And BTW, if you're Methodist or Catholic or any other well-known religion, you will be turned down for a photo-exempt license because of the common knowledge that those religions fully allow photos of their members to be taken at will.

Really? Excuse my ignorance, but what religion(s) forbid pictures being taken of you? Is the 'picture exempt' really an open option to these people?
    There are actually quite a few, mostly practiced outside the US, but with recent (last 10 years or so) immigration, there are more persons asking for the photo-exempt license or that the person is allowed to keep their headgear (Burqha, veils, etc.) in place for the photo. A change has been made that they can keep the headgear on, but they have to expose their face for the facial recognition software.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    This is the decision of an appointee by Mitch D. It is supposed to be a cost saving idea.
    DOn't think so,

What you don't trust government with your personal information being handled in Indy, then hopefully mailed out?

What a joke....
    The cost of postage alone is how much?

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    It is also tied into the facial recognition software being used in Indy in preparation for the Super Bowl.

Yep,all those cameras way up high on the Conrad and various other buildings downtown monitor all pedestrian traffic.

They can zoom in and run you right through the database.

Top Bottom