• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I usually put scopes on my rifles but I have decided to go with open sights on this build. I have a railed front gas block. I am not sure about what sights are the right height front to rear. Any tips? I really don't want to change the front gas block to an A2 sight if i don't have to. Any ideals? Thanks for any info.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Troy makes nice backup sights. Fixed and folding. Micro and normal. I believe they have some marked for gas block height also. I have no clue what my beo has on it. They came with it when I bought it. It is folding however.

May I ask why you don't want to change your fsb? IMO bolt on gas blocks just don't cut it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Troy makes nice backup sights. Fixed and folding. Micro and normal. I believe they have some marked for gas block height also. I have no clue what my beo has on it. They came with it when I bought it. It is folding however.

May I ask why you don't want to change your fsb? IMO bolt on gas blocks just don't cut it.

The biggest reason is my barrel is not setup for a pinned FSB. I can drill it if need be but if I can find sights that work with it WTH. I'll go that route if I can. I just can't tell what fits what from the info I see on line. I when to my local gun shop and they had no clue. I just don't want to buy 5 sights to find what fits. I figure someone's done this :-)

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Is your gas block the same height as the receiver? If so, basically any standard sights will work.

If your gas block sits lower than the receiver, then you'll need a taller front sight, which Troy and MI make.

Don't go micros, they're designed for Sig 556s, some HKs, POFs, anything where the receiver sits higher than your cheek weld. Not to say they won't work, but you'll probably be cramming down on the buttstock.

If you're planning on running just irons, I'd get fixed sights. Daniel Defense make nice fixeds and they look the slickest IMO

Another option too, get a free float forearm, longest you can for what barrel you have, and get a low pro gas block and run the forearm over it. This will also give you a longer sight radius, and again IMO, look slicker than a railed gas block

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    What type of rifle is it? My M&P has a railed gas block that is the same height as my receiver rail. Not all railed gas blocks are the same.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Thanks for all the reply's. This has a lower profiled railed block then the hand guard. Thanks to Philbert001 I have found what I needed. I feel confidant that I am buying the right stuff! Thanks Phil! My next step was going to be to change the gas block to a low profile and go with a railed hand guard but this will work out fine.

Thanks again to everyone that replied!

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Thanks for all the reply's. This has a lower profiled railed block then the hand guard. Thanks to Philbert001 I have found what I needed. I feel confidant that I am buying the right stuff! Thanks Phil! My next step was going to be to change the gas block to a low profile and go with a railed hand guard but this will work out fine.

Thanks again to everyone that replied!
    :yesway: No problem! I have one with a railed gas block too. Only reason I haven't bought exactly what I linked, is that I can't decide weather I want to go to an A2, or just do the gas block rail front sight.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    What type of rifle is it? My M&P has a railed gas block that is the same height as my receiver rail. Not all railed gas blocks are the same.

I did not see this responce. This is a generic AR built on a 80% polymer lower. Nothing special. Just cheap. It's just a range toy for my son.

Top Bottom