• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I generally CC but usually OC once or twice a week. After making the following post in the "where did you open carry today" thread, I really realized something.

"One guy was walking with his kid and wife while I was standing in line. Saw me, looked at his kid and said in a joking voice "Oh no, look, he's got a gun!" it was really awkward. lol The cashier started acting strange until I was at the register and acted incredibly pleasant with her, then she smiled and went on with her day with a different attitude toward gun owners. That is why I, 'sometimes', open carry. "

Does anyone else seem to change their attitude when they are OCing in the slightest? Don't get me wrong, I'm generally a very pleasant and outgoing character. However, when worn out, tired from work, in a bad mood, I generally keep to myself. I do, however, find myself deliberately (not falsely) acting very pleasant to all those around me while open carrying, if nothing else for the tone it leaves in there head. If every OCer were a cynical, low-talking, unsure citizen, it could leave a very bad taste in society's mouth on the topic of firearm ownership and carrying.

How about you? Where and how have you have consciously or subconsciously increased your positive presence to the environments you encounter while open carrying?

bigsteve

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    I oc often. A simple smile will put someone at ease. I see this type of behavior all the time. I'm a big Guy 6'5 300lbs so I can look quite intimidating:). So I always try to carry a smile.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Bravo for you sir!! Seeing someone OCing when you are intimidated by firearms is scare enough. I look down upon those who OC and think "My attitude shouldn't matter, it's my right, I can be short and impolite if I want". Well, you can, and you can reap the consequences of what you sew and the minute seeds you plant along with everyone else who OCs.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Yep. It's amazing what a smile and a wave will smooth over. It reminds me of the old adage: "Catching ants is easier with honey than vinegar", because there's definitely truth to it.

As any people here who know me will tell you, I'm generally a pretty happy person. I do OC quite a bit, but I don't have this, "I'm a B.A." attitude. I find it causes more trouble than what it's worth. That's not the same as taking other people's crap, but unless you give me a reason to not be nice to you, then I will be.

I can be your best friend or the biggest prick. My attitude is a direct reflection of yours. Treat others as you expect from them, and you'll receive it back 99.9% of the time. There are still going to be hardheaded individuals you have to deal with, but the best way to win a confrontation, by far, is to avoid it altogether. I can be flexible and accommodating, so long as others keep their cool. Lose it, and I lose interest in helping you.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Maybe it would be best to adopt an "OC attitude" no matter what your carry status.

(I don't mean for that to come off in a bad way...just pointing out what lesson should be learned from your observation. I've heard this sentiment from others before as well.)

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    ;) ya, it does give u a better attitude. like when u take a marshall arts class. or have u ever talked to a fighter pilot, at an air show very polite people. it calms u down when u know what your capable of. like a pitbull very relaxed and friendly, until the right moment.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    It's because you feel guilty! :)

Not even a little. +1 for OC attitude. By OCing we are now the ambassadors for gunowners because we are the most visible. Having a good attitude and being exceptionally polite should be par for the course. I would add dress nice. Is it necessary? No. But its a plus. I have never had a problem with cops while OC. Maybe the reason some do is because of how they look. Its a shame but that's the society we live in. You can only make it better by changing it a little at a time.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    On a recent trip to Kroger, the lady at the checkout (obviously new around here ;)) asked me, "do you have a..."
    Then she laughed nervously and continued, "I was going to ask if you have a Kroger card but I almost asked if you have a gun."

I smiled and told her, "Well, I have both, but you probably want this one," as I handed her my card to swipe. :D

She said that she wasn't aware that anyone besides officers could carry a gun.
    I informed her that very few states were that restrictive and that in Indiana, one simply needed a license to carry a handgun and that it requires a criminal background check.

She said that guns always made her nervous.
    I asked if she'd ever been shown how to safely handle a firearm or tried shooting at a range.
    She said she had brothers who owned guns but had never shot before.
    I suggested that if she trusted them to be safe and responsible, she should ask them to take her to the range and give it a try, she might just like it.

She certainly didn't seem nervous with me, just guns. As luck would have it, mine was well behaved that day and just sat there in the holster as we talked. :):

Seemed like a very positive conversation which I was glad to have with her. :yesway:

...and I think that my attitude is generally rather pleasant. :bash:

Rampdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Cloverdale
    I try to have a pleasant attitude regardless of how or even if I'm carrying. I try to treat people with the same way I want to be treated with respect and dignity. The fact that I'm respectful and courteous when carrying is only a plus. Those who are asshats get the same treatment and I've run into a few of those, the type who feel they can vent their feelings very loudly and disrespectfully about the war in Iraq to a disabled veteran. I simply smile tell them "You're welcome" (which leaves them completely baffled) and roll away knowing that our side won while theirs looks like a gang of thugs. And you don't have to gush saccharine all over. Simple manners will do. Saying Yes Sir, Yes Ma'am, thank you, and your welcome usually are greeted with mutual respect.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Bravo for Goodcat.
    I seldom oc but occasionally I'll forget or neglect to put on an over shirt or pull my shirt tail out and there I am. I generally go about my business as normal but I do find that I make a greater effort to be open and friendly and to engage the people I meet in conversation, not so much for my sake at to put them at easy with the idea that a big, rather grumpy looking 65 year old man is carrying a hand gun among them and their children.
    A smile and a good attitude goes a long way.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I CC all the time. And since I started carrying, my attitude has changed for the better.
    I don't think it matters HOW you carry. CC or OC, your attitude will improve BIG time.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I agree, CC or OC your attitude should be just the same, just pointing out how it is very important when you do OC. Happy mother's day!!!

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I'm certainly glad OC is working out for some but I just can't see that it's very tactically sound. I mean I can only see two positive aspects to OC:

1) No more clothing and hot weather problems (covering garments and all that jazz)

2) Some types of criminals would be deterred by the very site of your gun.

But the potential negatives are quite numerous:

1) Problems with LEOs ignorant of the law

2) "ooooooooh he's got a gun!" from various sheeple

3) Some criminals might see you as a great way to get themselves a gun (especially if you are NOT a physically large/intimidating looking guy).

4) Some criminals intent on mayhem my see you as the FIRST target

5) Store managers asking you to leave the premises

And on and on and on....hardly seems worth it when the biggest hassle to CC is simply picking out the right sort of clothes and being a little less comfortable in the Summer.

But I certainly support everyone's right to OC....I just don't think it's worth the hassle for me.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I really really REALLY wish we could have an OC thread that wasn't crashed by people that just seem intent on spreading their missinformed and UNWANTED views to those of us who have already made up our mind. Please, we have all heard the reasons not to, and if by some chance one of us hasn't, there are PLENTY of threads on here and elsewhere that already argued them to death. So don't ruin OC threads with off topic mumbo-jumbo about "why you don't think its a good idea".

Top Bottom