• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I remember seeing a thread on this.......but couldn't find it. It got me to thinking...so I did a search on it and ran across a very USEFUL page on the Open Carry Forums. Here is the Walmart policy they have listed. They also have policies for many national stores:

Walmart

Policy is to follow the law of the state the store located.
    Customer Service1-800-Wal-Mart
    (1-800-925-6278) Questions regarding a Wal-Mart Store issue
    702 SW 8th Street
    Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
    Bentonville, Arkansas 72716-8611

Email contact link:
    http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx

Audio of Walmart Policy: Walmart_Firearm_Policy_Call.mp3 (audio link doesn't work, it is an old posting)

I will be open carrying at my Walmart this Friday. :)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's good to see their "official" policy. I'm glad they're open about it.

Been OC'ing Walmart for a couple years now. Never been an issue.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    this one seems confusing:

Home Depot

http://www.tennesseefirearms.com/law_regs/postedletters/homedepo.pdfhttp://www.tennesseefirearms.com/law...s/homedepo.pdf

Customer care number. 1-800-430-3376
    Contact link:
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...ngId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

Recieved this from Jerry. Seems to contradict the letter.

Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 06:13:57 -0400 (EDT)
    hdconsumeraffairs@homedepot.com>
    To:
    warchild44spcl@yahoo.com
    Subject: Re: Other Website Questions

Dear Jerry,
    The Home Depot Customer Care is in receipt of your email. We appreciate you taking the time to email us. Our general policy is not to ban customers from carrying firearms on the Home Depot property in those states having a concealed firearm law, provided they are carrying the firearm in accordance with the applicable laws.
    If the firearm is not concealed in accordance with the carrying permit (typically that means concealed and cannot be seen by members of the public), it is up to the manager based on personal comfort level to approach the individual directly and request them to leave the premises or to contact local law enforcement for purposes of having the individual removed. Thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,
    Ricky
    Customer Care

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Ricky @ Customer Care is likely not aware that many states do not infringe on Open Carry. The first paragraph is fine, and the first part of the next is fine, but he gets caught up in the whole "CCW" thing.

BTW: Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Best Buy, and all those other big-box stores have never given me grief. Well, at least with OC! Their customer service, on the other hand......

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Ricky @ Customer Care is likely not aware that many states do not infringe on Open Carry. The first paragraph is fine, and the first part of the next is fine, but he gets caught up in the whole "CCW" thing.

BTW: Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Best Buy, and all those other big-box stores have never given me grief. Well, at least with OC! Their customer service, on the other hand......

LOL

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I will continue to open carry in all these stores as I always have.
    Some day, I might get one of those rare clueless managers that decides to make up their own rules on the spot.
    If so, I'll just deal with it above their head so they can be corrected by their own boss.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yep, some managers get a false sense of authority over their customers, and try to inject their personal feelings, emotions, and agendas on people. Usually, if you have a good response (regarding actual store policy, not the one they just created in the bathroom and are trying to cram down your throat), they realize they don't have a leg to stand on, and back off.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    And before someone gets bent about OC-ers "sticking it" to the manager.....

Knowing corporate policy on several items can be useful, not just OC. I've had to print off policies regarding returns, discounts, coupons, sales, price matching, etc..., thanks to managers that were "misinformed". Sometimes folks let personal feelings trump what their employer asked of them, and they just need a reminder. Its only personal if THEY make it personal!

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    Just remember that management at store level can adjust any policy as they see fit based on individual situations. I have done it several times. I have adjusted the policy to benefit a customer when they are respectful and honest even though it may cause a loss for the store. I have also adjusted policies and refused to follow them with customers that are too far out of line and or use inappropriate language. I declined a customer a couple weeks ago because he was "telling me how it was going to be". That type of attitude gets you nowhere with me.

On topic, I have had customers tell me about a MWAG numerous times. I just tell the complaining person that it is perfectly legal and there is nothing I can do about it.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    And before someone gets bent about OC-ers "sticking it" to the manager.....

Knowing corporate policy on several items can be useful, not just OC. I've had to print off policies regarding returns, discounts, coupons, sales, price matching, etc..., thanks to managers that were "misinformed". Sometimes folks let personal feelings trump what their employer asked of them, and they just need a reminder. Its only personal if THEY make it personal!

Great point.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I remember seeing a thread on this.......but couldn't find it. It got me to thinking...so I did a search on it and ran across a very USEFUL page on the Open Carry Forums. Here is the Walmart policy they have listed. They also have policies for many national stores:

Walmart

Customer Service1-800-Wal-Mart
    (1-800-925-6278) Questions regarding a Wal-Mart Store issue
    702 SW 8th Street
    Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
    Bentonville, Arkansas 72716-8611

Email contact link:
    http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx

Audio of Walmart Policy: Walmart_Firearm_Policy_Call.mp3 (audio link doesn't work, it is an old posting)

I will be open carrying at my Walmart this Friday. :)

I still have yet to see Walmarts policy in writing.

Starbucks, BestBuy, Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Target all have released WRITTEN corporate policies.

Chinamart has NOT.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Never had an issue a Chi-mart yet. They are pretty good about wanting anyone's money regardless.

Fishe39392

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I still have yet to see Walmarts policy in writing.

Starbucks, BestBuy, Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Target all have released WRITTEN corporate policies.

Chinamart has NOT.

I can tell you from 4 years I worked there, walmart does not have a written policy concerning OC or CC in their stores. The only written policy they have covers their employees, not customers.

Top Bottom