• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Yesterday I was shopping at the Aldi at Ridge Road in Gary. I tend to open carry there because it has been robbed more than once.

After about 20 minutes the security guard came up and said. "Sir, could I have a few moments of your time?"

I said sure and he started saying that they had received a couple of complaints from other customers. Apparently the sight if my gun was making them feel uneasy.

I tilted my body angle a little to look at his exposed gun and my daughter almost laughed.

He immediately said it wasn't him and he didn't care, it was another customer and he asked me if I would flip my shirt over it.

I politely told him "No, I will not cover it." and told him the reason why I opened carried there was because there was a history of Aldi's getting robbed in the Gary area and I didn't want to wrestle with a shirt if I had to get access to it in a hurry.

I did tell him if he wanted me to leave the store I would do so without any argument.

He said "No it's you're right to carry it that way if you want, I was just addressing the concern of another customer."

We finished shopping and as we were in line I saw the lady who had made the complaint as her vocal objection was hard for anyone to miss.

While she was speaking to the security guard she went on saying I had no "right" to make her feel uncomfortable wearing my gun out. I must have missed that "right" in the Constitution.

She said she shops there all the time and that if it was Aldi policy to "allow" people to wear a gun exposed like that she would be shopping somewhere else.

The security guard told her that was her right but it was my right to carry my gun as I was. He told he he had seen us shopping there every week and we had never caused any problems for anybody. (matter of fact she was creating more of a scene that anybody I had ever seen before.)

I never said a word to her, I let security handle it. I said thanks to the guard and left.

It was funny because her husband followed us out of the parking lot trying to stare me down. My family and I just ignored them and had a good time together.

As the man got to his car he took off his t-shirt and tried to flex his flab showing the fact that he could have used a bra and nobody should ever eat that much jello. That's when we all broke out laughing.

I think this turned out really good for us. I do not blame the security guard. He addressed the concerns of a customer, spoke to me and agreed with my rights. Yes he made a request for me to cover it but it wasn't a rude or bad one.

He had the right to request me to cover it and I stood my ground (politely) and refused. I got to continue shopping.

Flabby lips and flabby gut didn't get what they wanted (their "right not to feel uncomfortable") and I got what I wanted "my stuff from Aldi.

By the way this is not a debate over open carry vs conceal carry. (so lets not turn it into a debate) I do it both ways depending on my feeling of security or just how I am feeling that day.

I think anybody should carry as they are comfortable.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You did right and so did the guard.He could have asked you to leave the store if he wanted but he didn't.
    Some people are just affraid of guns without any logical reasons.
    Im wondering if that lady was also affraid by the guard's gun or if she's affraid by police officers who open carry.
    Maybe just the fact that you had a gun but no uniform was scary to her.
    I also dont know why she would have felt better with you having your gun concealed, it just doesn't make sense.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Well good for you! Way to stand your ground!
    I am actually impressed the way the security guard handled the situation, he did an excellent job. Great outcome for you!

Its unfortunate that the other party had concerns, if they only realized that it probably discouraged any attempts of robbery while you were there.

marcum man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bourbon
    First off +1 to the security guard for knowing your rights, and +10 to you politely standing your ground. Rep coming your way.:rockwoot:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Sounds like everything would've went smooth and everybody would've got their groceries and been on their merry way if it was'nt for the two of them making a spectacle of themselves.

:+1: For you and the security guard for staying cool and handling everything in a mature responsible way by respecting each other.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    One other thing I dont get is why those people who complained about your gun would follow you in the parking lot.
    Those people are afraid by someone carrying a gun and at the same time they are brave (or stupid) enough to confront that person.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You should write a positive letter/e-mail to the store manager and tell him that you appreciate the way the guard handled the situation. We spend (or should spend) a lot of time telling store owners what they're doing wrong. We should spend at least as much time telling them what they're doing right.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You should write a positive letter/e-mail to the store manager and tell him that you appreciate the way the guard handled the situation. We spend (or should spend) a lot of time telling store owners what they're doing wrong. We should spend at least as much time telling them what they're doing right.

:+1:

Good idea.
    I think we should report positive encounters more often than we do, no matter if it's a security guard or local LEO.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Good point Scutter. I think I will.

It also makes me want to give Aldi more of my business!

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Wow, I occasionally go to that Aldi because I work part time at a Chinese place near there and sometimes we run out of certain things. I think I'll start open carrying there as well.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    One other thing I dont get is why those people who complained about your gun would follow you in the parking lot.
    Those people are afraid by someone carrying a gun and at the same time they are brave (or stupid) enough to confront that person.
    We all said the same thing in the car. My wife wanted to ask him if he thought his t-shirt wasn't bullet proof enough for him and now he wanted to to use his fat as a "FLAB JACKET"

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    He said "Aldi", not "Target".

LOL.

His previous post:

I conceal carry to present less of a target for myself. Even with proper training, someone can come up from behind me and make a grab for my gun if they know I am armed. Some scum out there aren't deterred because you are packing and if they know you are, they will take that as a challenge.

5 year olds and all.....:D

Top Bottom