OpEd = Why Sheridan Case Gauges are superior to all others!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    All, I started to write out a very long post with many, many pictures to explain an issue I discovered while reloading 300BLK this week...

Instead, I created this 6 minute video that shows the issue fairly well:

I am not a "content creator" and I rarely post videos on YouTube. I just wanted to share some useful info.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Great Post!!!
    I would like to say I wish all of my single gauges were Sheridan, but only two are. 308 and 223. I've even thought about having someone mill all of my singles out like the Sheridan's are.
    Its difficult to tell people that just because it fits the case, doesn't mean it will chamber in your firearm.

Again Great Post.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Quite informative, I learned something from you today. WTG INGO & STFU.

Did you ever figure out why the Lyman die did that? Is it simply a defective die? Assuming you'll ask for a replacement die to let Lyman know they need to tighten up QC?

I'm a big fan of Redding dies myself.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Quite informative, I learned something from you today. WTG INGO & STFU.

Did you ever figure out why the Lyman die did that? Is it simply a defective die? Assuming you'll ask for a replacement die to let Lyman know they need to tighten up QC?

I'm a big fan of Redding dies myself.

While I did not include the footage in my video, I did try to resize a completed cartridge in the die. It further complicated the issue by pushing the bullet further out of concentricity. Look closely at the center cartridge in the attached picture. Note that the bullet is leaning to the left! This is AFTER resizing while fully loaded.
    I have resized fully loaded cartridges in the past with great success.

Based on the tests I performed, I can only conclude the die is defective.
    I have spoken directly to Lyman support about the issue and my conclusion. I was told that a support tech will pull a new die from stock, test it for the issue I described, and if it passes...they will ship it to me.

Attachments

• 20240725_151953.jpg
      20240725_151953.jpg
      407.5 KB · Views: 13
    Last edited:

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Very interesting watch. Thank you for posting.

For the sake of conversation, could it be the shell plate? *ASSUMING* everything is machined correctly, could a piece of crud in the rim groove of shell plate prevent the rim from going far enough into the shell plate? This would cause the brass to be on a different axis than the die and the shell plate. If the base is kicked out 0.xxx”, I would expect the neck to be as well.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Very interesting watch. Thank you for posting.

For the sake of conversation, could it be the shell plate? *ASSUMING* everything is machined correctly, could a piece of crud in the rim groove of shell plate prevent the rim from going far enough into the shell plate? This would cause the brass to be on a different axis than the die and the shell plate. If the base is kicked out 0.xxx”, I would expect the neck to be as well.
    While it is possible that the shell plate is out of spec, I'm not sure that is the issue...for two main reasons:
    1) it is a progressive press and every station exhibits the same result and
    2) the tool-head has a few 3/8" diameter pins that engage directly into matching holes on the shell plate to ensure correct alignment between the two.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    As a followup to this story...
    @Aszerigan and I spent some time testing in his shop today:

1. We ran both of the Lyman Pro sizing dies through his RCBS RockChucker and got the same results: non-concentric necks on the 300BLK cases.

2. We ran the same test using a Dillon Precision Carbide sizing die and got the results we expected.

3. I then brought the Dillon Precision Carbide sizing die home and installed it in my Apex 10.
      Again, results as expected and all completed rounds case gauge (in the Lyman MSR and the Sheridan) properly.
    Now I need to show Lyman the problem.

Thank you again to Andrew!

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    389   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    As a followup to this story...
    @Aszerigan and I spent some time testing in his shop today:

1. We ran both of the Lyman Pro sizing dies through his RCBS RockChucker and got the same results: non-concentric necks on the 300BLK cases.

2. We ran the same test using a Dillon Precision Carbide sizing die and got the results we expected.

3. I then brought the Dillon Precision Carbide sizing die home and installed it in my Apex 10.
      Again, results as expected and all completed rounds case gauge (in the Lyman MSR and the Sheridan) properly.
    Now I need to show Lyman the problem.

Thank you again to Andrew!

Lots of things going on with the situation. I won't go into details, I'll let @STFU do that if he chooses, but those Sheridan cut-away gauges allowed for quick and easy diagnosis whereas the MSR gauge was not quite so helpful.

As mentioned, I want an STFU referral code from Sheridan. Those gauges are amazing.

Top Bottom