• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have no idea of the source of this material that appeared in my mailbox this morning, but I still find it fascinating.

"ONLY IN AMERICA " OBSERVATIONS -- BY A CANADIAN*

1) Only in America could the rich people - who pay 86% of all income taxes - be accused of not paying their "fair share" by people who don't pay any income taxes at all.

2) Only in America could people claim that the government still discriminates against black Americans when they have a black President, a black Attorney General, and roughly 18% of the federal workforce is black while only 12% of the population is black

3) Only in America could they have had the two people most responsible for our tax code, Timothy Geithner, the head of the Treasury Department and Charles Rangel who once ran the Ways and Means Committee, BOTH turn out to be tax cheats who are in favor of higher taxes.

4) Only in America can they have terrorists kill people in the name of Allah and have the media primarily react by fretting that Muslims might be harmed by the backlash.

5) Only in America would they make people who want to legally become American citizens wait for years in their home countries and pay tens of thousands of dollars for the privilege while we discuss letting anyone who sneaks into the country illegally just 'magically' become American citizens.

6) Only in America could the people who believe in balancing the budget and sticking by the country's Constitution be thought of as "extremists."

7) Only in America could you need to present a driver's license to cash a check or buy alcohol, but not to vote.

8) Only in America could people demand the government investigate whether oil companies are gouging the public because the price of gas went up when the return on equity invested in a major U.S. oil company (Marathon Oil) is less than half of a company making tennis shoes (Nike).

9) Only in America could the government collect more tax dollars from the people than any nation in recorded history, still spend a Trillion dollars more than it has per year - for total spending of $7-Million PER MINUTE, and complain that it doesn't have nearly enough money.

10) Only in America could politicians talk about the greed of the rich at a $35,000.00 a plate campaign fund-raising event.

11) Only in America can a man with no background, no qualifications and no experience ... and a complete failure at his job ... be reelected.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Personally, I do not like foreigners commenting on U.S. politics, just as I do not think the U.S. should meddle in other countries politics.

This!

Also, you can track the source by hitting "reply" and asking the person who sent it to you where they got it from. Usually these things are bogus and come from someone who doesn't wan to use their name.

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    Personally, I do not like foreigners commenting on U.S. politics, just as I do not think the U.S. should meddle in other countries politics.

There's nothing wrong with a comment, especially when it doesn't contain a "this is how you should fix things" type message. Occasionally, an outside perspective helps other people renew their own. A lot of people in the US have lost their grip and could really do well to take a step back and reevaluate. The refusal to do that is a big part of why a majority of the country suffers a cognitive dissonance.

That said, I really doubt it's written by a Canadian. It reads much more like it was written by Glenn Beck.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Seems to me that Canadian and British observers of our political system do a better job of reporting what goes on inside the system than our American press does. And I can't think of a single one of those observations in the OP with which I disagree.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Seems like I've read an email similar to this several times over the last several years. I don't know (nor do I care) if a Canadian or an American or a Martian wrote it, it seems about right to me.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    Seems to me that Canadian and British observers of our political system do a better job of reporting what goes on inside the system than our American press does. And I can't think of a single one of those observations in the OP with which I disagree.

this.

to be truly educated and aware you have to look outside your own bubble. I routinely read The Guardian paper and listen to BBC.
    not saying UK or the commonwealth or EU have it right, but you NEED to be able to look at things in a different light - Americans are often too close to the situation to be able to see the forest for the trees.

Remember how everyone *****es about the liberal media? If you don't expand your world view, your world becomes quite small indeed.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    this.

to be truly educated and aware you have to look outside your own bubble. I routinely read The Guardian paper and listen to BBC.
    not saying UK or the commonwealth or EU have it right, but you NEED to be able to look at things in a different light - Americans are often too close to the situation to be able to see the forest for the trees.

Remember how everyone *****es about the liberal media? If you don't expand your world view, your world becomes quite small indeed.

Perhaps your observation is correct, but I suspect it's more a matter that Canadian and British media are willing to report (and comment) upon news that our largely one-sided MSM chooses to either self-censor or spin to meet their own agendae.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    this.

I listen to NPR, BBC, and back in my Shortwave days I would listen to Radio Cuba..As a child of the Cold War is was just kind of neat to hear the "Worker Style" commie music blasting through the speakers..The Guardian (not a right wing paper by any means) did the best research of the OKC bombing of any media source I had seen.

Top Bottom