• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I'm putting this list together for my own benefit, but thought that it would be helpful here as well. I'm going to update this list as I find more resources.

Hiking/Camping Resources

Backpacker Magazine
    -- Good articles on skills and gear, and nice reviews of products.

Backcountry.com
    -- Great reviews of gear, and you can order directly from their online store. I especially like the backpack section which groups backpacks by the length of trip (overnight, multi-day, weeklong, etc).

Basic Compass Use
    -- I'll admit, I've never been trained on how to properly use a compass. With that disclaimer, this site looks useful, and gives instructions on how to use a compass.

GORP.com
    -- This website has some good, basic information on hiking. What to wear, basic first aid, and other basic skills. Worth a read.

First Aid/Medical Situations

Wilderness First Aid
    -- This site gives a very basic overview of common first aid situations; bleeding, dislocations, sprains, blisters, frostbite.

MayoClinic
    -- The MayoClinic has a section on their website about first aid situations. The information is grouped by topic, and provides good, step-by-step instructions.

Controlling Bleeding
    -- This site goes over different bleeding situations, such as scrapes, puncture wounds, and major wounds.

Food and Water

Edible Wild Plants of North America
    -- This article from trails.com lists a few of the common edible plants in North America.

Edible and Medicinal Plants
    -- This site lists dozens of plants that are edible, and also plants that can be used for medicinal purposes. While the initial page only shows black and white drawings, you can click on the camera icons and see color pictures. Note: this site has information on plants around the world, not just in North America.

Finding Water
    -- Short article on finding water in the wilderness.

Water Purification Techniques
    -- Lists lots of information on the different ways to purify water. Good for background information, but not very useful in the field.

Water Purification Process
    -- Another article on water purification processes that can be used in the wilderness.

Basic Water Purification
    -- At the bottom of this site, you'll see steps to make a basic water purification system using tree bark, leaves, stones, grass, and other materials you should be able to find anywhere. I've never tried it, so I can't vouch for it, but it looks like a good skill.

Guide to Butchering Dear
    -- Instructions on how to butcher a dear.

Cleaning a fish
    -- Step by step instructions on cleaning a fish.

Snares and Traps
    -- This site shows some great snares and traps that can be used to catch game.

Top Bottom