• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Ok..Question here. I seem to be the only one who choose the Glock Knife w root saw. I did based on the all around benefits size, root saw and Glock quailty name. This is suppose to be a one knife and only one knife choice.

Although I know how to use a knife well..I can not claim to be a knifesmith by any means.
    So why not the Glock knife, is there something poor about it or something I do not know??? (This is not a sarcastic question , it is real? )

I think they are kind of regarded as lower end knives. hopefully someone will be able to elaborate more though.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    I keep a Glock 81 in my truck, it is a great little knife but it is not a vary good chopper.

shannonneumann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Right now I'm pretty partial to my Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival knife. I could live without the BG branding, but it's a solid performer that I use for everything from slicing mushrooms to chopping wood for kindling. And the included fire starting rod has worked very well for me. I was concerned about using the rod all up and not being able to get replacements, though, so I picked up 3 spares which went into storage with other supplies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Right now I'm pretty partial to my Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival knife. I could live without the BG branding, but it's a solid performer that I use for everything from slicing mushrooms to chopping wood for kindling. And the included fire starting rod has worked very well for me. I was concerned about using the rod all up and not being able to get replacements, though, so I picked up 3 spares which went into storage with other supplies.

I am a Gerber fan. I have a few of their knives and always have their multi tools. They are the best for me.
    Not a BG fan but the knife sounds interesting. I knew I was weak. Told ya Gator, I get hooked up in these things and then, it's on.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I hate to burst peoples bubbles but the new blades gerber is putting out are junk. the bear grylls blades have been recalled like 4 times. seriously if you guys are going with just one knife that your going to trust your life to please please do some research. you will using your knife more than most any other tool. I guess I'll never understand people who are willing to spend so much money on guns and other gear but will skimp on one of the most important items in there bag or on there person. I keep a glock knife in the truck and I use it as a pry bar and beater. they are ok for the money you spend on them and they are a solid little blade to throw in all your vehicles and forget about until you need one.

however if you bugging out, hunting, building shelters, wood working, camp chores, food prep ect ect ect. then spend some money on a quality blade that will last. I'm not saying you need to go out and buy busses, randalls, or crazy expensive customs. you can go with a well made becker knife, probably the cheapest quality fixed blade out there. or move up the chain a little bit and grab a esee. or go for a busse but when it goes down if your stuck w/ just one cutting tool and it's a bear grylls niche survival knife, well good luck honestly. check out the knife forum here on ingo. the cutting edge. lots of us knife junkies hang out there and give out free advice :)

I will say in the knife world. made in the USA is a huge bonus and huge jump in quality. most the gerber blades listed in this thread are made in china, just saying.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    ^ Very true. Many of the quality American knife manufactures people have grown to love over the years (Gerber, Sog, Buck, KaBar, Schrade, .....) have been outsourced to 3rd world countries with very questionable quality. Bang for buck, Becker or ESEE are tough to beat.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Ok..Question here. I seem to be the only one who choose the Glock Knife w root saw. I did based on the all around benefits size, root saw and Glock quailty name. This is suppose to be a one knife and only one knife choice.

Although I know how to use a knife well..I can not claim to be a knifesmith by any means.
    So why not the Glock knife, is there something poor about it or something I do not know??? (This is not a sarcastic question , it is real? )

They are fine knives given their price point. I keep one under the seat of my Jeep. However I find the blade to be too narrow and thick, and not well suited for all around camp chores. I prefer something with a little more belly, thinner, full tang, and micarta handles. Then again, I'm kind of a knife snob :laugh:

northtownship

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Love the ESSE knives would probably be my first choice but I still wouldn't ever sell my Buck 110 or 120 made back in the early 70's and given to me by my Grandpa. I carried the 110 all through school (try that nowadays) and up until I bought the ESEE-4 and Izula this last year.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Love the ESSE knives would probably be my first choice but I still wouldn't ever sell my Buck 110 or 120 made back in the early 70's and given to me by my Grandpa. I carried the 110 all through school (try that nowadays) and up until I bought the ESEE-4 and Izula this last year.

Those are both classic knives. I've probably skinned more deer with my old 119 and 103, than any other blade I own.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I have a knife that I made out of an older-than-dirt ripsaw blade I found. (The straight kind that reciprocates and used to be used on steam powered sawmills.) It started life as one of 2 sawback machetes I made. The steel is thin (which I much prefer) and is certainly hard. Some would say too hard. I gave one of the machetes to my friend. It had wonderful cutting power. However, he tried to chop through a large maple branch (which he had been doing most of the day) and the knife broke in half. This prompted me to regrind mine into a sawback bowie style and leave it to more cutting/slicing/stabbing/sawing work and forgo heavy chopping. The blade has plenty of belly (a good 2.5") and is very hard to dull. Sharpening is done on a grinder or with a Dremel as I havent found a file that will touch it. (It hasnt needed to be resharpened yet. I dont use it that often, but Ive dulled old Shrades quicker.) Oh, also, I have a cheapy Glock knife.

archy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Oaktown/Vincennes ar
    Easy question. The same knife I've used since I was an 18-year-old grunt...four decades ago.

bay059a.jpg

sully

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Close to Spring Mill
    Don't own one, yet, but I would like to have the Blind Horse Knives PLSK-1. That knife is a great one tool option. One of these days, one will be mine. Until then I reckon whatever is closest at hand will be my choice.

nkdninjafrog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Muncie
    I have two old Bucks(110 and 119) that i have used and abused for years and keep comming back for more also Churchmouse. Great old knives

i'm with this guy. got an old Buck 119. its a bit on the heavy side, but you can just feel how solid it is, just by holding it. no issues with it at all. i do however need to find a new sheath. the metal grommet has torn through the leather of the belt loop, and that makes the whole thing swing about awkwardly.

Top Bottom