• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    If I go out of state to a gunstore and get the hots for a long gun, can I take it with me or do I have to ship it to a local IN FFL?
    I know it has to ship to the FFL if it is a handgun, is the same true for a long gun?
    Probably a dumb question, but thought I'd check before I got my hopes up.

mktcbb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    If I go out of state to a gunstore and get the hots for a long gun, can I take it with me or do I have to ship it to a local IN FFL?
    I know it has to ship to the FFL if it is a handgun, is the same true for a long gun?
    Probably a dumb question, but thought I'd check before I got my hopes up.
    I have purchase a long gun in KY. I think you can with the surrounding states, but you must follow their laws on waiting periods

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Having been looking for a reasonable [as in "less than new"] price on a .44 rifle for deer hunting purposes, I'm curious about this too. Thinking demand in Indiana is a bunch higher than, say, Ohio or Ky.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    As far as I know you can walk out of the store with a long gun. If I am wrong someone will be a long shortly to correct me

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I once tried to buy a shotgun in West Virginia. They told me that they have to obey the laws of my home state. They looked it up and said that I was able to purchase from any state that touched Indiana (which did not include WV). I missed out on a pretty nice 870 Wingmaster.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    IC 35-47-5-6
    Purchasing or obtaining a rifle or shotgun
    Sec. 6. (a) Any resident of Indiana:
    (1) who is eighteen (18) years of age or older; and
    (2) who is not prohibited by law from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm;
    may purchase or obtain a rifle or shotgun in Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois.
    (b) Any resident of Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, or Illinois:
    (1) who is eighteen (18) years of age or older; and (2) who is not prohibited by the laws of Indiana, his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm;
    may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition for a rifle or a shotgun in Indiana.
    (c) Any transaction under this section is subject to the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (82 Stat. 1213, 18 U.S.C. 0.922(B)(3)).

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You can do it but some stores have policies that may not allow it even though legal. Dick's is one I can think of. They will usually have their policy posted.

What he said.

Also, it's entirely possible that a small, only open part-time shop might not know the rules and refuse a sale out of ignorance.

Them's the breaks, though.

So, yes, it's perfectly legal to buy a firearm out of state. Depending on the state and depending on the firearm, you might get to take it with you right then (long gun from a bordering state) or have to have it shipped (long gun or hand gun from any other state) to your local FFL.

-J-

Top Bottom