OK, so who has thought about building an underground range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    As I was sitting here thinking about what amenities would be nice to have in a full-size workshop....
    I'm like- bathroom, bar, fridge, gun safe/gun room....range!

Oh snap, what a killer idea, build a range in the basement of the work shop. You could design a gun room/safe area in there also; which should be quite secure, if designed correctly.

With a bit of sound deadener, ventilation and lighting, you could have a nice place to shoot all year around.

Anyone have an underground range, or thought about doing it?

Last edited:

masterblaster-c

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    indianapolis
    As I was sitting here thinking about what amenities would be nice to have in a full-size workshop....

Oh snap, what a killer idea, build a range in the basement of the work shop. You could design a gun room/safe area in there also; which should be quite secure, if designed correctly.

With a bit of sound deadener, ventilation and lighting, you could have a nice place to shoot all year around.

sounds like the true mancave...... (if you build it they will come!!)

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN

You should build one, so I can come over and play! :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::):.....

Oh...

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Many years ago I had one in a large basement. Only about 25 feet but good enough for the handguns, .22s and pelletguns. Even shot the bow down there once in a while. Was a full basement under a large house I had on ten acres.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    have thought a lot about it just havent done it yet. would not have to be elaborate. build a bullet trap to shoot into. attic type fan for ventilation.

i shoot in my garage now. not much distance though, only 40'.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    We're wrapping up plans for our new home, which includes a full basement. Once of the things we discussed with our builder (very much pro 2A) was what it would take for a basement range and safe room / gun room.

At this stage of our lives (early 30's) we decided that we'd invest that money into building a bit more house so we can expand our family and hopefully not have to ever build again. We're going to have a safe room downstairs for shelter and security, but not a range.

The cost for an indoor range wasn't overly prohibitive when building a new home, since it is just additional excvation and construction cost when doing the basement. There is the added ventilation and lighting costs, not to mention how much soundproofing one would want to do as well. We didn't get into any discussions regarding insurance and their take on it would be.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Yes

Yes i have

First there would be a whole lotta diggn
    I would use 2 used semi trailers,"106ft" @53ft each,the ones that are steel
    drop onto cemented level flat thats in the ground
    weld together and retro fit ventilation and construct a waterproof barrier

Gotta think about entry way, perhaps an inground type shelter entry,
    "I always wanted a bomb shelter room"

Cover your mess
    ----------------------
    Inside

final water proofing
    electric
    Construct walls, sound proofing, and backstop,
    Ventilation and hook up the lights,
    Target and bench
    :rockwoot:INDYK

alxjmrk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Indy, Nora area
    sounds like a plan. lets start.

Yes i have

First there would be a whole lotta diggn
    I would use 2 used semi trailers,"106ft" @53ft each,the ones that are steel
    drop onto cemented level flat thats in the ground
    weld together and retro fit ventilation and construct a waterproof barrier

Gotta think about entry way, perhaps an inground type shelter entry,
    "I always wanted a bomb shelter room"

Cover your mess
    ----------------------
    Inside

final water proofing
    electric
    Construct walls, sound proofing, and backstop,
    Ventilation and hook up the lights,
    Target and bench
    :rockwoot:INDYK

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    I would use 2 used semi trailers,"106ft" @53ft each,

If you are going to dream, let's dream big :D Railroad cars!

Actually, after doing a bit of searching, I found a company that offers pre-built ranges. Looks like they are based off of the semi-trailer idea!
    Gotta bet they are pretty spendy though.

QuickRange.jpg

Indysioux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Carmel IN
    I had a friend who had a range built-in while he was having his house built. It was somewhat simple, about 4ft x 4ft x 50ft. It ran underneath his driveway. In the basement it was its own room, which helped with the soundproofing and ventilation.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I day dreamed about the idea of burying sections of BIG storm drain, connecting the basement with a "shed" equiped with a fan, a hoist to lift&empty a commercial backstop, and a pully to attach a cable/target hanger to.
    Then I flipped through the real estate ads and day dreamed about just buying some land.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Yes I have, I even have the design on paper, and if I ever have the space, I will build it!! :rockwoot:
    My range design consists of basically a hole in the basement wall going out into some 36"X48" square concrete pipe, installed just below grade. The pipe comes in 8 foot lengths, and since dirt makes a good sound proofing material, you could probably even use this design in town with out a problem. 36" tall would give enough height for either standing or bench shooting, and a sturdy table/riser would allow for prone. Length is only limited by how far it is to the furthest property line, and an air well with an exhaust fan in the down range end, some 10" plastic drain tile laid underground to temper the incoming air temp in the winter, and ventilation is taken care of. :ar15:
    (This design could be installed on any existing basement with minimal work to the existing house, other than installing a sill beam over the opening for the pipe for structural support)

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i have always thought it would be a great idea. although i dont know if i would ever leave the house again if i had a range in the basement.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    OH MY GOD

THEY FRIGGN STOLE MY IDEA HOLY SH**:dunno:

If you are going to dream, let's dream big :D Railroad cars!

Actually, after doing a bit of searching, I found a company that offers pre-built ranges. Looks like they are based off of the semi-trailer idea!
    Gotta bet they are pretty spendy though.

QuickRange.jpg

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I dont have a basement, and my floor is concrete slab.
    The wife and I have been talking about a storm shelter though, and I have 10 acres, so maybe a storm shelter/bunker with a range in it would be a good idea at this point.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Johnny C i'm just south of you 2 miles from Koleen.....you get it done i'll come and shoot... container range don't sound bad....have 580C ext-hoe will dig 16ft....i'll have to study this?????

Top Bottom