Ok… Gamma Seal lids question… do we need um?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikeh53

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012

Ok… Gamma Seal lids question… dowe need um?

I have been buying food grade bucketswith lids from a local grocery store bakery,

5 Gal bucket and lid @$1, & 2 ½ Galbucket and lid @ $.50 these have the rubber seal on the lids. (Great price’s Ithink… they save um for me!)

It’s my understanding that the Mylar withthe o2 packs effectively seal out h2o, air, light,… everything… that the bucketis only used to protect the Mylar mainly from rodents. & elements.

So…this is my question.

My 5 Gal buckets have <> 25lb ofproduct packed in 5- 1 Gal Mylar bags with o2 obs…

If I have the buckets stacked 5-6 high that’sa lot of weight stacked on the regular rubber sealed lids… keeping them sealed.

Other than easy of opening what is theneed to spend the extra $$ on Gamma Seal lids?

Witha lid tool it’s easy to open mine? Not hard without one.

Are gamma lids important? Or just theyjust a marketing scheme to make $$$$ off prepers?

I only have so much $ I can spend onstorage food… seems like the better I can keep the packing cost down… the morefood I can buy?

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    They way you are set up I would say no, you don't need them. Some folks will put I large bag of product in the bucket and the gamma seal lid helps when they are using that bucket of product. I have 5 gamma seal lids, but they don't go on all the buckets, only whatever I am going into frequently.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Pretty much what Bill said. They aren't required at all, but they offer some benefits over the basic lids. I'm not aware of anyone saying that basic lids don't work. It is up to you to decide if you want those extra features. One compromise is to have a small number of Gamma lids on hand to reseal any buckets you are eating out of.

Top Bottom