• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Indiana honors all permits from all states and foreign governments as long as the holder is not a resident of Indiana.

IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    But Ohio does not honor ours
    Bastards

Yup, sent a e-mail to the Ohio AG asking why about 8 months ago, on of his assistants sent me a number to call and talk, he basically was saying since Indiana does not require a training session to obtain a permit that we are all idiots and and fools.

Ohio's never getting another $$$'s from me.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Yup, sent a e-mail to the Ohio AG asking why about 8 months ago, on of his assistants sent me a number to call and talk, he basically was saying since Indiana does not require a training session to obtain a permit that we are all idiots and and fools.

Ohio's never getting another $$$'s from me.

Ahh, but the plot sickens! When Ohio FIRST implemented their permit system, they DID honor Indiana's. The legislature then changed that a few months later.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Yes. Indiana honors permits/licenses from all the other states.

Though I do not think we should. I think the law should be changed to honor only the permits/licenses of states that honor ours. This would give the residents of those states a reason to pressure their governments to recognize ours. Right now, they couldn't care less about the fact we must disarm in their states.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON

Though I do not think we should. I think the law should be changed to honor only the permits/licenses of states that honor ours. This would give the residents of those states a reason to pressure their governments to recognize ours. Right now, they couldn't care less about the fact we must disarm in their states.

I agree ! :rockwoot:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    There is a caveat, you technically have to follow the laws pertaining to carry in your state, while in Indiana on your permit.

"According to the terms thereof," refers to "licenses", not the laws of other states and countries. I think the correct way to interpret the statute is that you must follow the terms on your out of state license (some licenses specify how you must carry, cc for example, some are for hunting/target purposes only, etc.), otherwise, you follow Indiana's laws while here.

If someone has caselaw contrary to this I'm willing to be edumacated.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Why don't se start up a campaign to the Indiana Attorney General (States enter in agreement through them) to either pressure each state to allow reciprocity or we consider their license invalid in Indiana.

Of course this could have been all resolved if the National Reciprocity law would have passed last year. Lets hope for a Majority US House and US Senate and this could pass next time.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why don't se start up a campaign to the Indiana Attorney General (States enter in agreement through them) to either pressure each state to allow reciprocity or we consider their license invalid in Indiana.

By what authority could the Attorney General consider a license to carry invalid? Why make the Attorney General the General Assembly?

Just because he's the Attorney "General" does not make him a commander of anything.* He's the Gov.'s contract attorney and general counsel. Don't believe the campaign commericals.:D

*We still need to do the INGO "design the Indiana AG's uniform" contest!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    think the correct way to interpret the statute is that you must follow the terms on your out of state license (some licenses specify how you must carry, cc for example, some are for hunting/target purposes only, etc.), otherwise, you follow Indiana's laws while here.

Right, so if you are from Texas you have to carry concealed, wear a big, silly hat, wear pointy elf boots and shout "yeehaw!"

Here is a typical Texan:

If you are from Florida you need to wear big sunglasses, black socks and sandals, drive a golf cart and eat dinner at 4:30PM.

Typical Floridian who is not complying with Florida law (oversized sunglasses and no black socks visible):

Leo-golf-cart-3.jpg

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Why don't se start up a campaign to the Indiana Attorney General (States enter in agreement through them) to either pressure each state to allow reciprocity...

Yes. Less restrictions on us.

...or we consider their license invalid in Indiana.

No. I still wouldn't support imposing new restrictions on others.

I'd rather see no license required here but still offered for other states which require one.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County

:+1:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    "According to the terms thereof," refers to "licenses", not the laws of other states and countries. I think the correct way to interpret the statute is that you must follow the terms on your out of state license (some licenses specify how you must carry, cc for example, some are for hunting/target purposes only, etc.), otherwise, you follow Indiana's laws while here.

I think we're talking about the same thing, but I am not 100% sure.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    No. I still wouldn't support imposing new restrictions on others.

I'd rather see no license required here but still offered for other states which require one.

As noted already, the Indiana A.G. doesn't have the authority to accept or deny out-of-state licenses. That's mandated by statute. It would take an act of the state legislature to change it. That said, he certainly has the power to lobby other A.G.'s who DO have the power in their state to accept reciprocity.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There is a caveat, you technically have to follow the laws pertaining to carry in your state, while in Indiana on your permit.

Debated a lot... Both sides bear weight.

Personally, I'm of a mind that you obey the laws of the state that you're IN first, worry about the stipulations on your license second.

For instance, if I were to go to Florida, should I then open carry because I'm allowed to by my Indiana LTCH? No, of course not, because OC is illegal in Florida. Same as in Texas.

If I go to church in Georgia...should I go ahead and carry? No, of course not, because carrying a weapon in a place of worship is illegal in GA.

Obey the laws (and pay attention to societal conventions) of the land you're in and you'll be fine. A peace officer in ABQ New Mexico isn't going to know what the laws of our IN LTCH are...nor care.

-J-

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    For instance, if I were to go to Florida, should I then open carry because I'm allowed to by my Indiana LTCH? No, of course not, because OC is illegal in Florida. Same as in Texas.

True, but if your license says "Holder is only authorized to carry the following pistols:" followed by a list of serial numbers, the way NY does it, I would expect that a NY license holder in Indiana would still have to abide by that restriction. In other words, "according to the terms <on the license>", not "according to the terms <of NY State law>".

Top Bottom