• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UnbeatenPath

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Hi guys. I've been a member for a while, but this is my first post.

The company I work for is sending me on a six month project in Ohio. I move in a couple weeks, but I am retaining my permanent IN address so I can't get an Ohio Permit. Problem is, IN LTCH isn't valid in Ohio. I am taking a Utah class next weekend, but then I have to wait probably a month to get it. My question is, does anyone know if it is legal for me to open carry in Ohio while I am waiting on my Utah permit to arrive? I open carry on occasion in Fort Wayne and have never had a problem. Also what are the laws on transporting firearms in the state. I'm assuming locked in the trunk? I will be calling the local police department tomorrow morning to get their opinion.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yes, you can open carry in Ohio, but don't be surprised if you get a different reaction than you do here. Many cops in Ohio dislike carry of any sort and you could very well find yourself getting unwanted attention. It would almost be worth it to wait till you had your Utah permit, but YMMV.

Mustang380gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Ohio's Amish Country
    Don't call the police department. Many don't have a good history of knowing the laws. Guys who have called report getting off the wall advice. Visit Ohioans For Concealed Carry Discussion Forums ? Index page which is Ohio'a version of Ingo. There are lots of guys who know the ins and outs of our odd laws.

You may open carry in Ohio, but you may not have a loaded gun in the car. The car makes it "concealed." One other concern with OC is that you aren't covered in school zones. It hasn't been a problem, but you should be aware none the less.

Where in Ohio are you going? If you will be a large city, there seems to be more open carry issues than with smaller towns.

Florida non-resident licenses seem popular, and Arizona is gaining popularity. Arizona may be faster than Utah.

UnbeatenPath

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the quick replies. I'll be in the suburbs of Dayton. I won't be going into downtown OC'ing; that's more trouble than it's worth. I'll experiment, and if I have problems, I'll just wait out my Utah.

Mustang380gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Ohio's Amish Country
    Many of the Ohioans for Concealed Carry guys are from the Dayton area, some of whom are strong OCers. If you join the forums at OFCC, then you can connect with people who are local to where you will be. Might come in handy. Based on what they have said, I don't think you should run into trouble.

Enjoy your time in Ohio!

Top Bottom