• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Picked up three Avian X decoys today. My hunting partner and I have been contemplating picking these up since they came out and I finally decided it was time. I'm taking my daughter into the turkey woods for the first time this year so we were at Cabela's today to get her some camo and I decided today was the day.

We've had success with cheaper, less realistic looking decoys but we've also had some birds act pretty sketchy once they got close to them. Aside from a lack of continuous movement (they seem to move easily in the breeze) I can't see a gobbler getting hinked up by these. Extremely realistic appearance and they actually hold good air pressure so their shape is as it should be. The only complaint I have is that the jake won't fit into the included decoy bag while it's inflated. I'll probably buy a larger decoy bag which will carry all three anyway.

A breeder, a feeder and a semi strut jake should bring a mature gobbler running in if he spots them.

E6B5CAC6-91C1-4FD5-B116-0EB9961619D6_zpsfzqpvz9f.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I absolutely love turkey hunting. I love everything about it. I can't wait to get out in the woods and after them. I only wish Indiana allowed more than one gobbler per spring season. I'd much rather them allow 2 birds in the spring and do away with the fall season all together.

My daughter would fight a UFC champion for a smoked wild turkey breast. I'm really looking forward to getting her out there. Her 20g 870 is currently getting camo dipped and as soon as I get it back it'll be time to figure out which load it likes. I need to find something that doesn't hit her too hard. I'm thinking about letting her practice with some soft shooting loads and putting some stout stuff in the gun when we hunt. I doubt she'll feel any difference when pulling the trigger on a bird. As long as her technique is good during practice where a harder hitting round wouldn't cause injury.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It requires a whole new level of dedication to be a turkey hunter, and those premium impostors will be a major help in that capacity.
    Great score, although I'm sure those weren't cheap.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If/when I retire I plan to spend a solid month chasing gobblers from Florida to Nebraska every year. There are few things I enjoy more than calling them in. Elk hunting could give it a run for the money if it weren't so cost prohibitive.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I've enjoyed what turkey hunting I have done and often wondered why I don't do more. Depending on how one does it, turkey can be the first or second most interactive experience in the game.

I spend ~250 days / year in the field and more of those should likely be pointed at turkey I think.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So, they're good roasted on the egg?

Everyone in this house loves them. I brine the breasts overnight then wrap them in a bacon blanket to protect the meat before smoking them at 225* until they're done. I've also stuffed them with cream cheese and herbs and that turned out great also.

IMG_2015_zps5wjbyn2x.jpg

IMG_2016_zps0i7yehz5.jpg

IMG_2017_zps5dpise3e.jpg

IMG_2018_zps7k4mgiwy.jpg

558829B6-140C-4D09-8D42-BBE30E5CBB42_zps4i1l9u4p.jpg

Zinga

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    At the risk of being a bit forward, I must say your breasts look great. How long does it take at 225 degrees? Are you smoking them to a certain internal temp? Thanks

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    This Christmas we smoked turkey for Christmas at my in laws. 3 of us saved the legs for the past spring to try and I had a breast left. We marinated all of it in different brines and bacon wrapped the breast. The legs were ok but the breast was awesome. I have never found a way to make the legs taste good. This spring we plan to try smoking again but I also love to cut the breast into nuggets. I bread them and deep fry them. That is really good.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    These posts encourage me to try different things in the field. You inspired me to try bow hunting and now I'm interested in trying out turkey hunting. Thanks for the great outdoors posts!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    At the risk of being a bit forward, I must say your breasts look great. How long does it take at 225 degrees? Are you smoking them to a certain internal temp? Thanks

I pull them off the smoker when they get to 155* or so, wrap in heavy foil and cover with a towel. The carryover will get them to 165*.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Got an Avian Jake last year and was very happy with results/reactions from birds. Just hope I can shoot my bow straighter this year, lol

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have yet to take a turkey with my bow. I was hoping to give it a shot this year but shoulder surgery has killed that idea, I probably won't be able to shoot my bow until June.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Population is better this year, spotted this column marching through the large clearing.

Top Bottom