• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The other day I had one of those things happen that really reminds me how times have changed. We had just finished Christmas shopping the day before and my wife had just gotten back from taking my youngest son out so he could do a bit of Christmas shopping himself. When she comes in, she pulls me aside and tells me that we bought the wrong gift for him and that while shopping for his brothers present at the LGS, he pointed out the SKS they had. She then convinced me that we need to return his gift and then get him the SKS for Christmas and his birthday, which is 3 days after.

That is an amazing thing coming from the same women that fought me tooth and nail when I bought our oldest son a squirt gun when he was little. She was raised in California and hated the idea of a gun in her house and didn't even like toy guns. Now, here she is making a good argument for buying a soon to be 13 year old an SKS. Maybe she saw Christmas Story one too many times or something, but it was one of those moments that puts you back a bit.

I was not real comfortable with buying an SKS for a 13 year old until she pointed out that it's not any different than the Henry rifle he saved for this summer. It stays in the safe, comes out on range trips, gets cleaned and goes back into the gun safe. The only difference between this SKS and my Norinco SKS (which he loves to shoot) is that he gets to call this one his when we go to the range and will take it with him when he grows up.

It was definitely a shocker to me coming from a woman that preaches against over indulging kids and that used to be as anti-gun as the come.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They do change. Any anti that has been given the facts in a courteous and respectful manner can't help but to rethink the bull they've been told previously.
    There are but a few anti's that won't budge - they're lost causes in other meaningful discussions as well.

I'm glad your family is strong and well rounded. Need more like you and yours. Best holiday wishes.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sonds like a great change for the better!!! Thats awesome
    And what a great gift by the way!!:D Im sure he will love it and he will never forget it.

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    So there is hope for my wife someday (sometimes I think her mind still lives in Chicago). :):

Its coming along in our house, slowly, one gun at a time......

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think he'll like it, but I'll have to increase the supply of 7.62x39 that I keep around. I can see him wanting to burn through my stash pretty quickly. Fortunately, the SKS's seem to do well with the cheap Wolf steel cased stuff.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Be thankful for your wife and enjoy your shooting time with your son!

My SKS has been fed a steady diet of Wolf steel case with no issues whatsoever and unless i find a killer deal on milsurp stuff, it will continue to.
    :ar15:

Pefect length of pull for a young guy, too!

hc4sar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    cent IN.
    Good god man give that wife of yours a collective hug from all of us INGO members out here MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOURS

Top Bottom