• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I shot this 10 pointer Sat morn about 8:30 at 50 yards right in the heart. Used my new Henry .44 with a Skinner peep shooting a 240XTP over a stiff charge of Lilgun. He ran about 50 ft.

Also shot this doe last Thur with my Parker Xbow. Only about a 5 yard shot but she ran 100 yards. Go figure

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Man I feel bad, were my shots bad, my bullets weak, or what. here's the bullets I recovered. 44 magnum 240 grain Winchester factory loaded jacketed hollow points.

I don't think you should feel bad. The 44magnum out of a rifle is a cannon, and your bullets hit their mark. Some creatures just don't know they're dead yet, but he'd have figured it out soon enough. You kept shooting to bring a quick end to an animals suffering and that's part of a hunters responsibility. With hunting a one shot kill is great, but a second or third to end the suffering is an act of putting mercy for the animal before a hunters pride and that's a honorable act. You did everything you could have done.

Jason91887

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Got my first deer ever today! Sadly I missed my first shot, but he was dumb enough to walk closer. Came within about 15-20 yards to investigate and I took him down, Clean through the heart. Ran about 10 yards and dropped. We weighed him in at 158 lbs field dressed. 8 Points.

Also, ignore my ****-poor Movember beard in the picture.
    1454711_685807371438807_332046231_n.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't think you should feel bad. The 44magnum out of a rifle is a cannon, and your bullets hit their mark. Some creatures just don't know they're dead yet, but he'd have figured it out soon enough. You kept shooting to bring a quick end to an animals suffering and that's part of a hunters responsibility. With hunting a one shot kill is great, but a second or third to end the suffering is an act of putting mercy for the animal before a hunters pride and that's a honorable act. You did everything you could have done.

Just wondering in his pics, if one was the initial hit's hole (since he said he was shooting down hill that would be kind of low going in IMHO).

If the round was called the .43 Keith maybe folks wouldn't think it such a cannon. It works and I like it, but isn't anything spectacular.

Yup, some deer refuse to read the script and hang onto the ghost longer than we'd like. I think the bigger deer to be more clingy in that regard, but ya just never know what's going to happen.

Hit 'em, and if you can, hit 'em again. It might ruin some meat (some old timers go on and on about that) but I like shoulder shots to break 'em down. IMHO it's less of a waste than feeding yotes or having it ride home in somebody else's truck. I hope to put a .35 Rem bullet through a bucks shoulder soon. Saw a big one scoot onto private ground at Winamac about noon today. Way out and moving toward nothing but private land. I saw two slicks, and no other hunters in my area.

If I didn't have to go to work I'd be there now, sleeping. Was a nice day (compared to the last few).

woodshed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    10926758305_60cb2e6f20_c.jpg
    10926749595_2b6f1d497d_b.jpg

Shot this 8-pointer Sunday afternoon, before the storm hit. 108 yards high shoulder. Benelli M1S90/Winchester XP3 slug.

Scott

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Not mine, brother's wife's brother, had been trying to get this guy to come in all through archery. Got him opening morning of firearm. He'd been seeing him for awhile but couldn't get a shot on him last year.

5s2aGRw.jpg

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Nice to hear some kind words, I truly feel bad, but I tried to end his suffering asap.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'd just like to have a big buck encounter.

Just knowing it CAN happen sends me back to the woods over and over again.

Had does around my stand tonight, but they walk free until the rut is over, if there is such a thing in my neck of the woods :D

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    Saturday-Saw three does at a dead run
    Sunday-Stayed home due to not wanting to die in a tornado
    Monday-Saw one deer a long way off
    Tuesday-Saw a raccoon...

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    yote.jpgNot a deer but I was more jacked up about shooting this Yote than I was about the last few deer I have shot!

jburris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    henry county
    View attachment 23338
    Got this doe this evening. Had a nice 7 point chasing her. he hung around 40 yds from her for 10 mins or so after she was dead. Then when I walked up on her he jumped out of the creek bed 10 yds away from here and hauled @$$ through the corn field. same stand that I got my 8 point from in oct. One more and Im done for the year.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Well I'm pissed... Just plain pissed...
    I shot a monster buck yesterday at 3:30. Waited till about 4 to start tracking. 5 hours, 2 trained Amish trackers, and one father-in-law, we declared it lost. Where it was hit, we found lung tissue and a good amount of blood. I was able to see the wound as it ran past and it was a clean shot behind the left front shoulder. We are all stumped... The best guess we have is that he ended up somewhere in a 10' tall field of solid thorns and spiky bushes. But we ran our of blood to follow...
    I am still pissed....

ar1973

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Story ,IN
    That Sucks but thats why if I dont see them drop, I wait at least 2 hours no matter where i hit them , not to be a buz kill but I bet u bumped him and if you bump a wounded deer he will run till he cant run no more .my buddy did that a few years ago. We finely found him a little over a mile from where he was shot . Good Luck

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    That Sucks but thats why if I dont see them drop, I wait at least 2 hours no matter where i hit them , not to be a buz kill but I bet u bumped him and if you bump a wounded deer he will run till he cant run no more .my buddy did that a few years ago. We finely found him a little over a mile from where he was shot . Good Luck

You are probably 100% correct...

Top Bottom